Portland International Jetport | PWM

You guys make great points and may even be underestimating the Jetports future especially with Breeze! From a very reliable source I have heard that no later than late July there will be service to JAX. And one to two more routes that will be announced before the fall that will be west, sounds like Cosakita was all over it, two routes will be around CVG but most likely not CVG according to the source that works for Breeze who informed me about that.
this source also did say Breeze wants to make Portland and Hartford their gateway cities to Europe in the future…!!!
The overall future is bright, just need some federal funding and Breeze investment to get a big terminal upgrade. Not sure why BTV needed it. That expansion they did isn’t very nice and doesn’t really make any sense haha!
Nevertheless, Portland has a bright future!

JAX makes a lot of sense as well. As I mentioned I also suspect winter seasonal Fort Myers will be announced sometime this summer.

I also have a hunch that Breeze will test the waters of a true transcon route from PWM for Summer of 24. Either the LA area or SFO. They're already flying to LAX from PVD

Transatlantic services are probably a couple years away....it seems like they're going through some growing pains as every new airline does. But if and when they get there, PWM makes sense as a jumping-off point using the A220-300....which has -just- enough range to cross the pond.

Runway length has always been an obstacle for transcon and transatlantic flights from PWM....but the A220 makes that almost a non-issue.

Last edited:
Non-stop transcon I have a harder time seeing, but I could see flights to Europe, whether via Iceland or with the A220. I think Mayor Snyder and Director Bradbury need to have a little facetime with the ranking Republican member of the Senate Appropriations Committee about the FIS improvements.

Yes!! A220, A321, B737MAX, these are all aircraft that fly out of PWM everyday and these are also aircraft that already do international flights so it would be no problem! Just need the Jetport to get moving on building a new terminal extension westward and get Breeze it’s own gates, get a mini hub going with routes that stay over at PWM.

Glad to hear Breeze is having success and they are trying new routes. Norfolk, Pittsburgh and Islip were always planned to be seasonal and we'll see if they last more than one season. I am not certain of the Jetport's air service incentive package to airlines for new service, but PWM is definitely a seasonal destination based on activity levels.
I'm also not sure of what Frontier is doing after expanded service during Covid and now the pullback. What is interesting is they have not pulled out all service from PWM like they have at other stations in New England and the northeast, but could just be a matter of time. Their yields must be decent to retain some level of service, but I think Breeze would swoop in and fill that void if Frontier throws in the towel as we've seen with the Orlando and Tampa announcements. I would expect Breeze to pick up the Raleigh-Durham (RDU) route from Frontier as they are building up RDU as a focus city and to complete with Avelo service from Manchester MHT to RDU.

Some routes west would be welcome, but the bread and butter are the north-south routes to Florida and the southeast. Carriers have been reluctant to commit to east-west routes from PWM other than Chicago as we just see the seasonal western routes from Southwest, American, Delta and United. Sun Country is interesting as it is point to point service from MSP and Delta competes with them during the summer, but Sun Country has been on that seasonal route for multiple years now. Would like to see if United would start weekend Houston IAH or Southwest Denver service next summer. The equipment and pilot shortage will continue to affect new service in the near future, but its resulted in larger aircraft serving PWM but at reduced frequency.

Agree with TC on additional covered areas and the dated impression coming down into the tight baggage claim area, but funds and space are limited. Also, not sure when the concessionaires agreement is up for a possible reboot for food and retail (minus Starbucks) as it has been the same line up since the new terminal addition opened years ago.

IMG_5036.JPG
IMG_5765.jpeg

This entire area as you come down the escalator (was also replaced and relocated) was just renovated back in 2019 so there are no future changes, What will happen to improve the arrival experience is the addition of a new baggage carousel, replacement of the other three and a refreshed entrance to baggage claim which will include new carpet and improved visitor flow, The jetport administration offices will also be moved to the space above baggage claim where the former restaurant used to be. As DesertMaineiac pointed out, this is a very limited space in size but it's a huge improvement over what it used to look like with the reddish looking tile, no elevators and outdated restrooms.

Last edited:
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG

Found a couple of photos I took during the renovation with sections of the old flooring, makeover of the upper level and the relocation of the new escalator and stairs.

Last edited:
Flew Breeze to Charleston on Friday and returned yesterday morning. Both flights left on time and actually arrived 10 minutes or so early. Overall a very good experience although I think the $35 each way carry-on luggage charge is a bit excessive.

I flew out last month to Houston via Newark (first time at EWR since the days of PeoplExpress in the old North Terminal), things went great. Unfortunately, our return flight got bollixed up by weather in Houston so we wound up switching to a flight to Boston and didn't get to return via PWM.

Practical upshot: spent a bunch of extra money and I still have never flown through ORD (our planned switch on the return).

Some opportunity for Breeze:
Sarasota SRQ Seasonal-Old route for Elite , big Maine connection on West Coast.. My first choice...
Vero Beach-VRO also an Old route for Elite. This did very well until issues with planes, cancellations, etc
Breeze opening up station at MLB? opportunity to pick up space coast/cruise ship traffic
Possible breeze thru service thru Columbus? RDU? or Direct? 2024
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Lax

Airports are an opportunity for a city to give an arriving traveler an impressive first impression, one that conveys that the city will be an exciting place to see and stay. The Portland Jetport kind of fails on this idea. In the last two years, I have flown in and out of over twenty airports, including Amsterdam and Zurich. I've seen and heard a lot of Wow during this time. But don't feel bad Portland, Sacramento is probably the best at underperforming with its giant luggage tower "art" in its baggage claim area. Google that one. There is not much visual or auditory excitement for Portland at the Jetport, or in my opinion. I'm just not feeling it with the big taxidermy moose and surrounding critters, but I'm sure some of the kids like it.

Great points, I think Portland sees their market completely separate from Manchester NH at this point. Competing for an RDU service with Manchester as DesertMainiac mentioned wouldn’t really be a thing. I looked at MHTs inaugural flight to RDU tomorrow on Avelo (an airline with all sorts of problems) and it wasn’t even 35% full… that’s a really bad rate especially for the first flight. Avelo won’t be in Manchester for more than a year And may not even be around for over 5 more years. Breeze and even Frontier don’t compare to Avelo as they have 20 or so aircraft for the 40 or so routes they have nationally. PWM does a great job attracting airlines it seems. This is one thing that they really do seem to do well because for a market and airport their size, having EIGHT different airlines serving PWM is really impressive.

Another point with international routes at PWM. Imagine flying into Portland and knowing, at most, 120 or so people would be in front of you in the customs line. Also knowing you will be the only international flight probably the entire day! Boston, Newark, JFK etc you may have 500+ people in line at customs when you arrive!! Talk about virtually stress free travel, Portland would be the place to fly!!

I would not be surprised to see Burlington edge past Manchester in the next FAA enplanement counts for FY 2022. The last official rankings for busiest US airports had PWM at #95 (just ahead of Syracuse and Little Rock), MHT at #119, BTV at #135 and BGR at #151. Manchester had 15 consecutive years of decline until post COVID which equates to 4.3 million enplanenents in 2005 down to 1.3 million in 2021. That said, the addition of Avelo and Spirit will help to some degree and the cargo business continues to flourish at MHT.

I would not be surprised to see Burlington edge past Manchester in the next FAA enplanement counts for FY 2022. The last official rankings for busiest US airports had PWM at #95 (just ahead of Syracuse and Little Rock), MHT at #119, BTV at #135 and BGR at #151. Manchester had 15 consecutive years of decline until post COVID which equates to 4.3 million enplanenents in 2005 down to 1.3 million in 2021. That said, the addition of Avelo and Spirit will help to some degree and the cargo business continues to flourish at MHT.
Spirit doesn't seem to be doing well at MHT either.

Spirit (NK) Q3 2022 Scatterplot of Domestic Station Yield vs. Stage Length + MHT Loads - Google Sheets

Overall they averaged a 60.5% load factor at MHT last year. Not exactly standout. Some routes (FLL, MYR) have performed very poorly.

Breeze and Avelo are both small upstarts and both are going through their own growing pains but if I had to choose I would much rather have Breeze at PWM than Avelo. Their onboard experience is superior and potential for growth seems a lot more promising.

Last edited:
Totally agree and the only other airline I'd prefer not to see in Portland is Allegiant.

MHT has an identity problem. First by naming its airport with Boston in it was the first nail in the coffin. Next when SWA added flights in BOS, that was the other nail. PWM is not dependent on one airline with 50% and over as was with MHT and SWA. Portland and Maine are destinations vs MHT which I avoid (ManchVegas). The 2 biggest flyers. Summer camps and Snow Birds. I know the Jetport is not spectacular. It was built plainly and cheaply due to city and federal funds. Ah the days of just Northeast Airlines then bought by Delta. The days of the 727.... Then Peoplesexpress, Continental, United Merger, Northwest Airlines,-Merger, Independence Air, UsAir, AA left and came back as American. Airtran gave us hope to Orlando, then SWA merger and SWA came. So did Jetblue with NYC and Orlando. AirCanada to Toronto in a tin can. Then came Sun Country, Frontier, and Breeze. So much has happened since the 60's. The Jetport is functional, not perfect. Compared to other airports, we have so much more for a small airport. -Small lines at the TSA, no more loading luggage in a detector!!!. We have CNBC and the other news stand, Nice rocking chairs, Shipyard if is ever open,,,, Burger King-Blahh, Linda Beans- always in legal issues, Starbucks...and the Bagel place. Sad thing is when I get off the plane at PWM, I know that I am home...the people are friendly, and its a short walk to my car.... and 15 min to my house.

On another note, it seems like JSX's semi-private charter service to Westchester County, NY quietly ended before it even began. PWM is no longer a bookable destination on the airlines website . I can't say I'm too surprised.

JSX was also supposed to fly to the Vineyard also to HPN, that no longer exists. Both airports are served by Jetblue which codeshares and is a minority owner.

Note on MHT and this new airline Avelo… todays inaugural flight from Manchester to Raleigh-Durham was 39% full. Right now, the flight back tomorrow is 36% full. That’s really bad, no other way to put it. Portland and Breeze have no worries there😂

Back