Portland International Jetport | PWM

Re: Southwest gate usage, I recall they like to have 8+ round trips per gate per day, so if PWM is at 5, they still have room to grow 60% or more and still need only one gate (and I suspect competitors would have slack to match)

Correct, the only kind of close call currently is the 12:05 departure to BWI and the 12:25 arrival from MDW.

You can’t beat the Jetport in terms of how easy it is to get in and out!! So efficient, overcrowded at times but usually just past security, and friendly people. I wouldn’t change a thing about that!
And airport security requirements are constantly changing, so I sympathize with anyone trying to design a physical space that can keep up!

Not architecture per se, but heads up to those who use PWM regularly: the southbound Turnpike offramp at Exit 46 will be closed M-F next week, July 11-15, related to the lane expansion through Portland.

680E9318-6205-4EA4-B8DB-FB22644DF5F9.jpeg
CC7068E5-F559-4E87-9B20-B07FF65D7B31.jpeg

I recommend taking a lunch break on the West End on Portland! Here are a couple shots I took (though hazey) it’s very cool to see right down the newly paved Runway 11-29 and also see all the aircraft lined up at the gate or taxiing!! Enjoy!

Does anyone know who is getting new ground equipment? they are all lined up by the deicing pad/building. Too bad its not for a new airline...

6FABFC82-4FAA-4050-942D-9AF02AA7CCB4.jpeg

Was returning from DCA last night when we had to turn back because "the tower closed at midnight." Does anyone know the real issue? A plane can land without the tower. Is it ground staff for American? Noise restrictions? Something else?

Aircraft land at PWM after midnight with assist from BOS ATC from time to time and I have actually been on a few of those late flights. It's been a long time PWM tower staffing question, the evening shift cannot be be extended past midnight and due to the limited number of late arrivals into Portland the funding to add a 12-06 AM shift cannot be justified. All aircraft can manually turn on the runway lights and CAT I ILS, there were no weather related issues so I'm guessing your letdown was ramp related and shame on American if it was.

Aircraft land at PWM after midnight with assist from BOS ATC from time to time and I have actually been on a few of those late flights. It's been a long time PWM tower staffing question, the evening shift cannot be be extended past midnight and due to the limited number of late arrivals into Portland the funding to add a 12-06 AM shift cannot be justified. All aircraft can manually turn on the runway lights and CAT I ILS, there were no weather related issues so I'm guessing your letdown was ramp related and shame on American if it was.

Any idea if Republic's ever had a flight land there with the tower closed? Other than ground handling or other fails on American's part, the only thing I can think of is wondering whether Republic's Ops Specs might have had something to do with them not being able to land? (It'd at least mean the stated explanation was more of an oversimplification than outright incorrect.)

Any idea if Republic's ever had a flight land there with the tower closed? Other than ground handling or other fails on American's part, the only thing I can think of is wondering whether Republic's Ops Specs might have had something to do with them not being able to land? (It'd at least mean the stated explanation was more of an oversimplification than outright incorrect.)
As the spouse of a DCA based Republic employee I can tell you that they land after midnight ALL THE TIME in Portland as do all the other regional and mainline carriers. A flight diversion back to DCA is a rare occurrence and the reasoning for it may not be for any of the reasons stated above. They may have experienced a maintenance issue in flight that could be most expeditiously dealt with in base and decided to return to DCA rather than have a AC stuck at an outstation. It could have been any number of issues but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with a lack of ATC in Portland. Anyone who flies regularly in and out of Portland knows that the time around midnight is one of the busiest at PWM. In addition I am not sure why this was posted on this forum in the first place.

It was posted because it is a PWM thread that was started back in 2006. Whether an "airport" related thread belongs in a platform that primarily deals with urban development topics is a valid question but the site's moderators have felt that it is worthy enough to keep it going for the past 16 years. There are also a few other New England airports that have their own thread. Is it possible that your curiosity was based on posts that are not devoted to actual airport projects?

It was posted because it is a PWM thread that was started back in 2006. Whether an "airport" related thread belongs in a platform that primarily deals with urban development topics is a valid question but the site's moderators have felt that it is worthy enough to keep it going for the past 16 years. There are also a few other New England airports that have their own thread. Is it possible that your curiosity was based on posts that are not devoted to actual airport projects?
Yes. The post was about a diverted flight and nothing more.

With the talks about Amazon putting a warehouse facility in Scarborough or Portland (Stroudwater area), how likely would something like this be? Amazon and the Jetport expanding the cargo ramp. I drew up these potential plans for a pretty substantial cargo expansion if Amazon were to invest in Maine and the Jetport.
Not sure if the forum is in favor of hypothetical ideas like this rather than just reporting news but I'd like to hear your input!

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 1.02.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-09 at 1.02.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-09 at 1.03.32 PM.png

Great job on the drawings, you should send them over to Paul at the Jetport. MHT is building a new cargo area which I am hearing it could be Amazon using that building. I was surprised UPS never utilized the Jetport vs trucking everything to MHT. When DHL /Airborne Express left, no one decided to use the space.

Great job on the drawings, you should send them over to Paul at the Jetport. MHT is building a new cargo area which I am hearing it could be Amazon using that building. I was surprised UPS never utilized the Jetport vs trucking everything to MHT. When DHL /Airborne Express left, no one decided to use the space.
Thank you, I saw that MHT expansion. Definitely space for this at the Jetport and would help our economy big time!! Also would be a 10-15 minute drive from the warehouses in either Scarborough or Portland which makes for a easy commute!

With the talks about Amazon putting a warehouse facility in Scarborough or Portland (Stroudwater area), how likely would something like this be? Amazon and the Jetport expanding the cargo ramp. I drew up these potential plans for a pretty substantial cargo expansion if Amazon were to invest in Maine and the Jetport.
Not sure if the forum is in favor of hypothetical ideas like this rather than just reporting news but I'd like to hear your input!

View attachment 30504View attachment 30505View attachment 30506
That’s the general aviation parking area and also the MAC air space. It probably wouldn’t go there if I had to guess. Also, the building you drew would be very small to be Any sort of warehouse.

That’s the general aviation parking area and also the MAC air space. It probably wouldn’t go there if I had to guess. Also, the building you drew would be very small to be Any sort of warehouse.
This land is currently all grass, does that still mean it’s owned by mac air? The building I drew up would be at least 2 times the size of the fed ex warehouse in the picture. I certainly think there’s the space for it.

IMG_3828.jpeg

The general aviation parking area is in the upper left portion of the photo and the MAC building and ramp is in the lower left at Aviation Blvd. The square apron at bottom center is used sometimes for general aviation overflow and military aircraft. NR2Portland's concept would be located to the left of the Fore River and just south of the current FedEx ramp.

Last edited:
This land is currently all grass, does that still mean it’s owned by mac air? The building I drew up would be at least 2 times the size of the fed ex warehouse in the picture. I certainly think there’s the space for it.
You placed the building directly onto the parking lot for MAC air and General Aviation actually. I know. I park there. It’s labeled as yellow bird rd but there is parking at the end.

Back