Portland International Jetport | PWM

The short runway will be used quite a bit during the next few months to accommodate the reconstruction of taxiway A. This $13.3 million project has to be accomplished during warmer weather and will ramp up in earnest in May once all of the equipment is in position and site prep is completed. Last I heard, most of the work will be conducted at night but will negate 11-29 for late night arrivals and the early morning push. It may limit the use of the primary runway even more depending on the amount of cooperation with the weather and tight contractor schedules.

Last edited:
What exactly is the reconstruction of taxiway A? Is it just a resurfacing or do they take it down to earth?

Down to bare bones just like they did with 11-29 a few summers ago from what I've been told. Now I understand why it was so important to add another 1100 feet to 18-36 first. The airport would not have been able to function safely with a 5000 foot runway and these projects would not have been able to move forward.

IMG_1058.jpg

Last edited:
This is just an opinion based question? The three furthest non stop destinations from PWM are currently: DEN @1777 mi, DFW @ 1619 mi, and RSW @ 1344 mi. Of the following cities, which have the best chance of being served by Portland in the future based on distance and aircraft limitations. Also factor in the popularity of the city by Mainers along with the selected city residents desire to actually travel to Maine?

Distance in air miles

PHX 2334
LAS 2404
IAH 1665
SLC 2118
MCI 1293
LAX 2636
PDX 2529
SEA 2482

By the way, distance to FPO (Bahamas) is 1270 mi. and most other Caribbean options cannot happen until an FIS facility is built. My guess would be Houston but my preference would be Salt Lake City. I still think that any of the three west coast options are still years down the road but feel that LAX would make the most sense even though a Portland to Portland connection would be pretty cool. There was only one non stop mainline route in the US between cities with the same name that ended last year, any guesses?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like FLL (1330) as that's our preferred cruise departure port. and once we get the FIS I'd look for KEF at 2310.

There was only one non stop mainline route in the US between cities with the same name that ended last year, any guesses?
My first guess was MIA-OXD. but the latter is general aviation only. So... CHS-CRW (Charleston to Charleston)?

I
This is just an opinion based question? The three furthest non stop destinations from PWM are currently: DEN @1777 mi, DFW @ 1619 mi, and RSW @ 1344 mi. Of the following cities, which have the best chance of being served by Portland in the future based on distance and aircraft limitations. Also factor in the popularity of the city by Mainers along with the selected city residents desire to actually travel to Maine?

Distance in air miles

PHX 2334
LAS 2404
IAH 1665
SLC 2118
MCI 1293
LAX 2636
PDX 2529
SEA 2482

By the way, distance to FPO (Bahamas) is 1270 mi. and other Caribbean options cannot happen until an FIS facility is built. My guess would be Houston but my preference would be Salt Lake City. I still think that any of the three west coast options are still years down the road but feel that LAX would make the most sense even though a Portland to Portland connection would be pretty cool. There was only one non stop mainline route in the US between cities with the same name that ended last year, any guesses?
With the A220 or even the A320neo / 737MAX runway length shouldn't be an issue for any transcon flights in any weather condition.

That being said, my breakdown would be....

Reasonable:
United seasonal to IAH
Breeze or Frontier seasonal to SJU
Breeze or Frontier seasonal to CUN

Possible:
Breeze seasonal to LAX
Breeze or Frontier seasonal to LAS
Delta seasonal to SLC

Improbable for now:
United seasonal to SFO or LAX
American seasonal to PHX
Breeze seasonal to DUB, EDI or London

Fantasy:
Alaska to SEA or PDX
Icelandair or Play seasonal to KEF
Aer Lingus seasonal to DUB

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like FLL (1330) as that's our preferred cruise departure port. and once we get the FIS I'd look for KEF at 2310.

My first guess was MIA-OXD. but the latter is general aviation only. So... CHS-CRW (Charleston to Charleston)?
You are correct, Breeze tried out the route for a short period and ended it last year. FLL would be a great addition!

Did we determine whether SJU requires customs or not? It is 1760 miles from PWM which would make it equal to DEN. Do you think that Puerto Rico would be the most desired destination in the Caribbean for Mainers?

Last edited:
Fantasy:
Alaska to SEA or PDX
Icelandair or Play seasonal to KEF
Aer Lingus seasonal to DUB
I wouldn't count Keflavik out as pure fantasy (caveat needing the FIS facility). Paul had Icelandair on his radar way back when they first built the latest terminal expansion, and Icelandair also has (or had) a close relationship with Auto Europe. Portland could theoretically even be a lower-cost port to Europe given that it's closer than Logan and presumably has cheaper slots.

Did we determine whether SJU requires customs or not? It is 1760 miles from PWM which would make it equal to DEN. Do you think that Puerto Rico would be the most desired destination in the Caribbean for Mainers?
A quick google says no, there are no customs requirements for flights between San Juan and the mainland US.

IMG_6031.jpeg

The longest flight (3000 miles) I remember tracking out of Portland, a Delta 757-200 charter to Edinburg 7 months prior to the pandemic.

I know there are comments about the taxidermy exhibit at the arrival escalator, now under construction for the eclipse is an exhibit showing the second largest moon rock on earth on loan from the Maine Mineral Museum. The exhibit looks quite interesting. It will be on site for five years. I quess its becoming the natural history Museum of maine. 😆

PQI votes for B6 to offer subsidized service. It goes to the DOT for approval. Now will they plan to use the E190 or the A320. No jetway. How many plan to fly to BOS then transfer? I know they hope to draw the Canadian folks, but really. We cant have year round service at PWM? Dont let the door hit you in the ass when you leave.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 6.55.32 PM 2.png
Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 6.55.05 PM 2.png

PQI had 19,254 enplanements in CY23. I do think a new terminal is needed but maybe not one of this magnitude.

Last edited:
A passenger lounge is crazy, PWM needs one of those badly if we have PQI getting one😂

A passenger lounge at PQI is a place where they corner you and force you to pick a bushel of potatoes before they give you your boarding pass.

I may be wrong but I think PQI's "passenger lounge" is actually nothing more than a hold area with seating and carpeting in the gate area. Try not to envision a Delta Sky Lounge set up. :)

Back