Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Holy sweet jesus, they finally approved the Morrill's Corner project(Stop and SHop and housing). It took over four years to get that done. Construction set to start this winter.

They also approved a new drive thru Starbucks right before Morrill's corner. Didn't even know they had applied. That will give us 4 in Portland and 2 in S.P.

They picked the project for the Danforth st. lot. Some 4 story building with low priced condos.

hey shaz...there is some info on waterview way back in one of the threads. they are still tied up in court. graves hill has not surfaced, but no mention of it being killed either. chestnut street condos are well under way in terms of construction, and walker terrace is near complete. welcome back!

grittys...sucks that they picked the 4-story, i think they had a 5 or 6 story as one of the proposals. oh well. my internet was shut off so i am at the ppl like a homeless person right now.
!

Hey guys I'm back from my trip to Swan's Island and back to searching for news of Portland development (or lack thereof)! Anyway, here's something from the Press Herald about the Westin. They will be going ahead with the project but its going to be smaller than originally planned because of financial pressures (interest rates, cooling condo market). I just hope economic problems such as these will not completely bring building in Portland to a screeching halt like it did in the early 90's...

Plans for hotel, condos scaled back

By MATT WICKENHEISER, Portland Press Herald Writer

Plans for a $110 million Westin hotel/condominium complex on the site of the shuttered Jordan's Meats plant in Portland are being scaled back, according to the Rhode Island firm that is leading the development.

The plan had included a 230-room hotel, 92 luxury condominiums, an estimated 20,000 square feet of retail space and hundreds of underground parking spaces.

The Procaccianti Group is now looking at a "significantly" smaller number of condo units, Tom Niles, executive vice president of development, said Wednesday. The number of hotel rooms will also be reduced, but Niles wouldn't give specific numbers for the condo or hotel side of the development.

The reduction is due largely to the softening condo market, said Niles, as well as rising global interest rates and the perception of overbuilding.

"We try to be light on our feet," he said, "and respond to market conditions."

Niles said that, because sales of the luxury condos would help underwrite the hotel construction, scaling back on one end results in corresponding cuts to the other. "They have to work in unison." Ground-floor retail is still part of the plan, and office space may be included in the project as well.

Niles said the cost of the project would drop from $110 million, but he didn't have a firm figure. The initial development of the hotel and condos may be the first of a two-part construction process. Once the initial development is done, the developer will look to see how to get the best value from the rest of the land, he said.

Portland City Manager Joseph Gray Jr. said city planning officials met with Niles two weeks ago and were told about plans to scale back the project. Depending on how much the initial plans are changed, the developer may have to get new approvals from the Planning Board and City Council, Gray said.

"We've got people working double-time here. We want to be back in front of (city) planning staff late summer, early fall," said Niles. "We'd love to be through the process by year-end and proceed on the project."

Niles said that Procaccianti has a clear idea of what the city needs and wants from the project in terms of setbacks, heights and other factors, and that new plans will be within those parameters.

"I know the peninsula needs these projects to move forward," he said. "We need to move forward. We can't afford to have an idle piece of land."

Procaccianti's local partner in the project is the Liberty Group of South Portland. Liberty spokesman Dennis Bailey said company Chairman Michael Liberty still backs the project.

"These are just factors that had to be addressed," said Bailey. "There had to be some changes made."

Niles said Procaccianti has projects in other markets across the country and those under construction are moving ahead as planned. The developer is reviewing projects that are in the preliminary stages, he said.

The Portland project is planned for the former Jordan's Meats property, a site bounded by Franklin, Fore, India and Middle streets.

The Westin project is a key part of the redevelopment of Portland's eastern waterfront, and is expected to complement the city's Ocean Gateway terminal for cruise and ferry ships.

Two other privately funded projects could also add hotel rooms, condos, parking and office space to the neighborhood.

is this a joke? what an embarrassment. condo markets fluctuate, so what? what if construction already began, would they turn back because the market is cooling? people need to think ahead so that supply equals demand at the same time, not a game of catch up. this is so sad, but i dont even care anymore, portland is great without any new development, and the city has proven its inability to take progressive measures, so i will wait until the day i can change things myself. seriously.

oh yeah and by the way, grittys, grittys is my new favorite bar/brew pub/restaurant/whatever ... why didnt you elaborate on what an excellent spot that is more often???

Were you there last night?(Thursday). I was there from about 11-12. Didn't see any certified street gangstas.

nah i wasnt there. too busy trying to entice right propper charlies owner to keep the skindustry alive. long live headliners, havanas, bourbon street and club adrenaline on park street in lewiston! haha. i was at grittys on friday though. Man what a cool little downstairs they have. didnt know it was the first pub brewery in maine.

Portland: Parking garage proposed for Bayside neighborhood

PORTLAND ? City officials and Bayside neighborhood representatives want to build a new parking garage on Somerset Street, near the planned extension of Pearl Street.

That recommendation came out of a neighborhood meeting last week, said City Councilor James Cloutier, chairman of the council's community development committee.

The 700-space garage would be built on six acres of former railroad land that the city owns along Somerset, between Preble Street and Franklin Arterial. The property would include several office buildings, according to a concept plan being designed by Scott Simons Architects and others.

The garage would include ground-level retail space with a plaza on Somerset Street and a recreation trail to the rear of the building, Cloutier said. Office space or housing may be built on top of the garage, he said.

City officials are moving quickly to design the plan to access a $650,000 federal economic development grant that's available through Sept. 30.

Portland: City seeks public's input on plans for Maine State Pier

PORTLAND ? Three public meetings have been scheduled to discuss the city's controversial redevelopment plans for the Maine State Pier.

The meetings will be at 5 p.m. Aug. 30, Portland Ocean Terminal, Maine State Pier, 40 Commercial St.; 5 p.m. Sept. 6, Room 209, City Hall, 389 Congress St.; and 7 p.m. Sept. 18, council chamber, second floor, City Hall. The meetings will be hosted by the City Council's community development committee and Planning Board members.

City officials hope to expand public participation in the redevelopment process, narrow differences of opinion on the future of the pier and create zoning that achieves a higher level of consensus prior to council action.

Portland: Hospital expects to start construction next month

PORTLAND ? Mercy Hospital officials plan to start construction early next month on the first phase of a new campus along the Fore River and the Interstate 295 connector to Commercial Street.

The Planning Board approved the site plan last week for a 137,000-square-foot hospital and 80,000-square-foot medical office building. Both should be completed by September 2008, said Timothy Prince, Mercy's vice president of planning.

The $160 million campus, to be built in two phases, is expected to be completed in 2012.

There are two. which one? There was waterview at bayside, which is tied up in the court process regarding a law suit by its neighboring tower (back bay tower) and then there is the intermed office building (only 9 stories) that is going up real soon.

chestnut street loft condo building is putting up the steel frame after a century. looks like up to the third floor or so is framed in steel. five more to go.

Patrick said:
There are two. which one? There was waterview at bayside, which is tied up in the court process regarding a law suit by its neighboring tower (back bay tower) and then there is the intermed office building (only 9 stories) that is going up real soon.
waterview

well, on waterview there is a whole sandstorm of ideas on whats going on. The short story is that it was supposed to commence construction last summer but as of today it is still just a whole in the ground with weeds growing on the site. SOme people say its because of the developers false deposits for units and the amount of money that he owes people (thus preventing the financing from going through) and the people i spoke with at the real estat office a while back said its because of a law suit from back bay tower which doesnt want its views blocked. either way it has not been built but the website waterviewatbayside.com is still up and running and the real estate office says the project is just on hold and the signs are still posted, so i am hopeful. I really want this project to go through because other than lincoln center, it is the only project really worth discussing on this site (its the only other high rise that was proposed last year). the westin has been scaled back, as was the village at ocean gate (both previously 9 stories tall) and i have heard nothing about graves hill (two more 9-story buildings in the woods) so i have no hope for a lot of the rojects in portland. I feel kinda stupid too because i am always saying how much activity there is in portland but the reality of the matter is not a lot of it has left the drawing board. at least manchester gets things done!! thats one thing i will always envy.

Patrick said:
well, on waterview there is a whole sandstorm of ideas on whats going on. The short story is that it was supposed to commence construction last summer but as of today it is still just a whole in the ground with weeds growing on the site. SOme people say its because of the developers false deposits for units and the amount of money that he owes people (thus preventing the financing from going through) and the people i spoke with at the real estat office a while back said its because of a law suit from back bay tower which doesnt want its views blocked. either way it has not been built but the website waterviewatbayside.com is still up and running and the real estate office says the project is just on hold and the signs are still posted, so i am hopeful. I really want this project to go through because other than lincoln center, it is the only project really worth discussing on this site (its the only other high rise that was proposed last year). the westin has been scaled back, as was the village at ocean gate (both previously 9 stories tall) and i have heard nothing about graves hill (two more 9-story buildings in the woods) so i have no hope for a lot of the rojects in portland. I feel kinda stupid too because i am always saying how much activity there is in portland but the reality of the matter is not a lot of it has left the drawing board. at least manchester gets things done!! thats one thing i will always envy.
I am told that the building Cohen owns in Portland (I think it's at 477 Congress St.) is up for sale. Maybe it's to help ($$) get the Waterview project going. Personally, I would be very surprised to see Waterview go up anytime soon. Hope I am wrong.
Also, I am told that Procaccianti Group out of Providence wants Liberty out of the picture on the Westin project and that Liberty wants them out. So I would imagine this will drag on for awhile.
Source tells me that 3PS may only go forward if they have at least 2 firm commitments from major tenants. Construction costs are to high to put up a large spec building in Portland w/out commitments from tenants.
I was thinking the new "Hooters" should go on top of the Civic Center when that lady Fenway Park designer comes out w/ her plan for the CCCC. Rename the Civic Center the Hooters Center!

how come we have not heard anything about 3PS in the news or anything? exactly how 'preliminary' are these plans?

Cohen owns the time and temperature building on congress street, but I'm not sure if its street address number is 477 Cong., although it seems like it very well could be.

I will be surprised if waterview happens anytime soon, too.

I like the sounds of that: "the hooters center." they could even put signs on the interstate for it. The westin is a disappointment. first `6 stories, then ten, then nine, now scaled back and remains a vacant meat factory. waterview is depressing. the lincoln center is just a complete embarrassment. what is wrong with this city? honestly, what the heck is it?

I thought I read in the Press Herald a few days ago that the court case against Waterview was dismissed and Cohen said now he'd be able to proceed. Granted, there's still a lot that's got to happen before it can go up, but at least the legal stuff is out of the way.

What was the date of that article, do u remember? If the legal battle is done and over with, then the building should proceed rather quickly because even though we have heard about cohens troubles with money through a source on here, we have heard nothing about them in the press (which would ordinarily love to report on such a thing) meaning if he does have financial woes, they probably are not the type that would prohibit this project from reaching fruition.

Patrick said:
how come we have not heard anything about 3PS in the news or anything? exactly how 'preliminary' are these plans?

Cohen owns the time and temperature building on congress street, but I'm not sure if its street address number is 477 Cong., although it seems like it very well could be.

I will be surprised if waterview happens anytime soon, too.

I like the sounds of that: "the hooters center." they could even put signs on the interstate for it. The westin is a disappointment. first `6 stories, then ten, then nine, now scaled back and remains a vacant meat factory. waterview is depressing. the lincoln center is just a complete embarrassment. what is wrong with this city? honestly, what the heck is it?
Yeh, but there are more brick cube buildings slated for Marginal Way!!
Anyhow, I am told that Cohen's bldg. is on the market for I think $12.5 mil. and there is alot of interest.
The plans I saw for 3 PS were very prelim./basic. Pretty much an Architects hand drawn elevations & plan views. They are just trying to see if there is interest from possible tenants at this point.
The Westin project, which I thought was a sure thing, is a HUGE disappointment. I guess anything w/ Michael Liberty involved will be f'd up! I've come to realize nothing is ever a sure thing in Portland.
I can hardly wait to see that ladies ideas for the Civic Center. Please Portland, State leaders -BUILD A NEW ONE!

what do you mean there are more bricks in the works for marginal way? Do you know something i do not? all i know of is the intermed building, which i think they made a typo for in the pressherald last month, because they said it was supposed to begin construction in august.

Court gives go-ahead to Bayside condos
By ELBERT AULL Staff Writer
Portland Press Herald (ME) August 8, 2006
Page B1

The Maine Supreme Judicial Court has upheld Portland's approval of a condominium project, rejecting an argument that the proposed Waterview complex would unfairly reduce property values at nearby Back Bay Tower.

The ruling upholds a lower court's decision against Back Bay's owner, Seaforth Housing of California, which sought to have the Planning Board's approval of Jeffrey Cohen's Waterview project overturned.

Back