Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Don't be too down, they are in the mall area where quality architecture and classic design are not that important.

Are humanoids exposed to it?

I'm not even talking "quality" architecture or "classic design" - - - architecture THAT misanthropic should be declared unsafe by the CDC.

I thought Portland was aiming higher than Biloxi, Mississippi.

The buildings are actually located in South Portland.

The point is.......?

Look if those were new mall buildings in Malden I'd be upset. Treating South Portland like Bangladesh doesn't say much for Portland.

Portland and its environs are better than that.

The white exterior with green trim looks like a hotel that belongs in south Florida or the caribbean : ) Used to be even more white until they toned down a few shades many years ago. Anything "should" be an improvement.

Honestly, the whole "looks like it belongs in Florida" thing has never made sense to me (and this isn't an attack on you, it's my personal taste). I see nothing wrong with having a big white hotel in Portland. The Commerce and Chapman buildings certainly didn't match anything else that was standing in the city when they were built :) .

The Fidelity Building, Masonic Building and City Hall all went up around the the same time (1909-11) with the similar limestone exteriors and the Chapman Building didn't arrive until 13 years later. With the exception of the Chapman 2 story addition in 1963, all four of those structures are considered to be architectural landmarks. I doubt the Holiday Inn will ever fall into this category or be included in positive discussions concerning it's design and visual merit.

I actually don't mind the hotel in it's current state and have defended it's appearance many times over the years especially against my brother who lays over there as an airline pilot and really dislikes it. It's entry into the downtown hospitality market in the early 70's was huge for the city with it's 239 rooms and impressive convention capabilities. I am just hoping the makeover improves it visually and adds a few decades to it's life before it becomes elderly housing.

I respect your taste and opinion but you may be in the minority when it come to actual fans of this particular structure : )

Last edited:
If they put a rooftop bar enclosed in all glass that would be cool. It shouldn't effect the height as the two opposite mechanical rooms are at least two stories. (Bummed the new AC Marriott doesn't have a pool and rooftop bar -- a perfect viewpoint for that.)

Was in town a couple of days ago and took a couple of good pics of the East End waterfront construction. Who can I email those to for posting?

The Fidelity Building, Masonic Building and City Hall all went up around the the same time (1909-11) with the similar limestone exteriors and the Chapman Building didn't arrive until 13 years later. With the exception of the Chapman 2 story addition in 1963, all four of those structures are considered to be architectural landmarks. I doubt the Holiday Inn will ever fall into this category or be included in positive discussions concerning it's design and visual merit.

I respect your taste and opinion but you may be in the minority when it come to actual fans of this particular structure : )

I wasn't saying that the Holiday Inn would fall into the same historical category as the others I mentioned, I was just pointing out that they were a very marked contrast in height and materials to the city of 6-story post-fire brick buildings they grew up in.

And as to your final point, I'm used to it... I happen to love Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice ;) .

Eastern Waterfront construction photos taken by TC zoid:

Was in town a couple of days ago and took a couple of good pics of the East End waterfront construction. Who can I email those to for posting?

Bit of older news but USM is looking to build a large Arts Center on their Portland campus:

http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/201...nsformational'-arts-center-on-portland-campus

"This generous gift enables USM to take the next step toward realizing our dream of building a new Center for the Arts at USM in Portland," Cummings said in the release. "The time has come to create a visual and performing arts facility on our Portland campus that showcases the exceptional talents of our students and faculty, and opens the door to wider arts and cultural engagement in Maine and beyond."
The gifts are in keeping with USM's master plan, approved by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees in early 2017, to modernize its Portland campus, including initiatives like a new dormitory, a bigger, brighter student center, and a green hub of activity surrounded by modern buildings.

Good to see growth at USM. Their campus master plan makes me wonder if Oakhurst will ever sell their very cramped and increasingly out of place facility on Forest Ave.

City Council unanimously approved the new garage on Fore Street which will include retail on ground level and office space on the top floor. No renderings were included with the PPH article so I have no idea what it's going to look like.

Good stuff Dr. StrangeHat. I like the Mountfort Street extension plan and reading all of the anti development letters, thanks!

Shipyard Brewery redevelopment is up for its final planning board hearing this week:

-a large new office/pharmacy building for the new vets first choice HQ
-a 10,000 SF brewery
-a 105 room hotel
-ground-floor tasting room and retail spaces along Hancock
-10 apartments in smaller buildings along Newbury Street
-a 372 space parking garage

New renderings:

f8W2wQo.jpg

iGpzqk4.jpg

These don't show the new WEX building, but I have a hunch that the Vets First Choice office is going to be more prominent, since it's at a higher elevation and is also taller.

I was glad to see city staff pushing back on the overhead wires/poles on Newbury Street. In my opinion all new development in the city should be required to move utilities underground. It seems like the developers and CMP are pushing back and saying it would just be too expensive / difficult, but I'm sure if it was required for the project to move forward they'd figure out a way to do it. Interestingly the poles and wires are not present in any of those renderings.

It was the same way with the renderings for the recently finished Mason Block condo building on India Street -- nary a pole nor wire to be seen. However in reality there is now an absolute jungle of wires mere feet from the balconies of these expensive new condos.

Impressive, especially like the glass facade facing Fore Street. Agree with the removal of the utility poles! In addition to this project, there is still a 7 story office building, 7 story condo building and a new hotel (Home 2) waiting to break ground on Fore Street. Also a four story condo building on India Street by the renovated Grand Trunk building, and the proposed garage behind WEX. Oh yeah, a new 6 story condo building on Franklin at Congress. Did I forget anything on this end of downtown?

I was glad to see city staff pushing back on the overhead wires/poles on Newbury Street. In my opinion all new development in the city should be required to move utilities underground. It seems like the developers and CMP are pushing back and saying it would just be too expensive / difficult, but I'm sure if it was required for the project to move forward they'd figure out a way to do it. Interestingly the poles and wires are not present in any of those renderings.

It was the same way with the renderings for the recently finished Mason Block condo building on India Street -- nary a pole nor wire to be seen. However in reality there is now an absolute jungle of wires mere feet from the balconies of these expensive new condos.

Absolutely agree. In fact i've heard that Mason block is having difficulty selling some units BECAUSE of the utility wires.

I was disappointed to see the Woodfords corner redesign didn't include underground utilities. Portland's legacy as a poor gritty fishing town can be seen in the fact that we have an absurd amount of above ground utilities all over the peninsula, unlike Boston where even most side streets have underground utilities.

Back