Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I also think that Midtown's failure is why numerous residential projects are moving forward in the downtown core. Well over 100 future units were wiped off the slate which probably gave other developers the confidence to unveil their projects. Timing is critical when rising construction costs and the possibility of too much inventory can hamper success.

As far as height, I think Portland will eventually get that 200'+ building. My guess it will be a residential/mixed use development and it will be built in one of the few areas where the zoning requirements can be met to prevent the NIMBY's from losing their minds. I don't anticipate the Canal Plaza tower to ever materialize at the rumored floor count due to it's sensitive Old Port location.

Well as I mentioned, Soley is still full steam ahead with a 20 story tower. Considering he owns all the canal plaza area stuff It won't be a direct neighbor to fight it

Has anyone heard about 477 Congress Street? I am hearing both residential and possible hotel component. The garage in the rear is a complete disaster and would warrant demolition and replacement. The new garage next door could fill in till a replacement is done or till a new building could go in its place. The office space has been taken off the market for lease which is causing an office shortage in class B availability. The building currently does not meet at least class B standards. The building will need a complete gut to bring it up to code. $10 million at least? Part of the building does show parts of the old theatre that resided there until part of it was torn down for the garage. The tile floor from the theatre lobby still can been seen as well as the stained glass.

It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up as a total gut job. It was left to neglect for far too long. If that's at least $10 million, then what use gets the most return on that investment, at least immediately? Probably hotel and residential. I could also see them tearing down the garage and replacing it with more building stock with garage underneath rather than just another garage.

All speculation on my part, though. I haven't heard anything other than rumors.

Real Estate News. VIP tour and bus lot is for sale for 6.5 million...it will be interesting if anyone takes it and redevelops it. Other real estate news, AutoEurope is vacating their building and moving somewhere else. Their building is also up for sale. They plan to vacate in late 2020. I heard they are looking to stay on the peninsula or bayside.

Has anyone heard about 477 Congress Street?

One of the ground floor tenants said that the new owners are planning "major" renovations that he thought will include restoring the old arcade / indoor mall type of arrangement that originally existed in the building. But yes I think most of the building is in need of essentially a gut-renovation.

Is that the Time and Temperature Building? It's sad to see some of the most beautiful, iconic buildings in New England cities completely neglected. Another (even sadder at the moment) example is Providence's Industrial Trust Building.

So basically, Portland can build a never ending stream of 6 story crap (yes, most of it is nondescript crap, and yes I have been recently) but won't even maintain its more iconic, historical buildings. There's something wrong with the priorities of the people in charge of developing our cities.

New Development-6 story residential building proposed for 83 Middle street which is currently a parking lot on the corner of middle and franklin , across the street from eventide. A 55+ residence developed by Community Housing of Maine CHOM is proposed. No other details are provided at this time. Affordable housing....

Nice location for infill which has been used by the Portland PD for a long time. PWMFlyer, why aren't you on the Airliners.net forum? A lot of great information on all of New England's airports outside of Boston (separate section) with numerous updates on PWM's improvements and service.

New Development-6 story residential building proposed for 83 Middle street which is currently a parking lot on the corner of middle and franklin , across the street from eventide. A 55+ residence developed by Community Housing of Maine CHOM is proposed. No other details are provided at this time. Affordable housing....

What's your source on this? can't find anything on the city website.

City of Portland Agendas and Minutes-May 21st meeting packet for Economic and Development Comm/Housing Comm. There are no drawings. Look for item for CHOM

City of Portland Agendas and Minutes-May 21st meeting packet for Economic and Development Comm/Housing Comm. There are no drawings. Look for item for CHOM

If this comes to fruition, and the "Verdante" condo building happens, there will sort of be a new streetwall forming on the east side of Franklin Street. You'd have three 6-story buildings from Congress to Middle Streets. I wonder how these developments might impact any redesign of Franklin.

There's also talk of the city moving the police department and selling the current headquarters on the NW corner of Franklin and Middle for redevelopment.

If this comes to fruition, and the "Verdante" condo building happens, there will sort of be a new streetwall forming on the east side of Franklin Street. You'd have three 6-story buildings from Congress to Middle Streets. I wonder how these developments might impact any redesign of Franklin.

There's also talk of the city moving the police department and selling the current headquarters on the NW corner of Franklin and Middle for redevelopment.

I heard that Verdante is having trouble selling units. They are only about 30% bought at this point.

Any word of the so called 18-20 something story building off of Congress street? Glad to hear the time and temp building is getting some TLC.

In my opinion, the redesign of Franklin Street is a pipe dream that may never come to fruition due to funding issues. The portion between Congress and Commercial will probably remain the same with the possible addition of sidewalks and a crossover reconnecting Federal or Newbury Street. The portion between Marginal Way and Congress was always the main point of emphasis due to it's width and large median in the center.

There is still no progress on the reconstruction of Congress Square which has been discussed for almost a decade now. Transportation projects are difficult to get moving forward now due to out of control construction costs. The widening of the Maine Turnpike through Portland may become a reality only because the MTA has it's own fundraising mechanism.

I heard that Verdante is having trouble selling units. They are only about 30% bought at this point.

They have gone back to the Planning Board several times with requests for changes to materials in order to reduce costs. The developers sent out an email recently claiming that construction will begin in June, but time will tell.

The law school was looking at design options at the old press herald printing and distribution lot. I don't know where that stands. The design can be seen on the archetype website. The children's museum will now not be ready till 2020 due to the soil. No word on the thompson's point hotel and probably won't start till fall due to the concert season. Have they found a contractor for the Aloft hotel on commercial street?

The law school was looking at design options at the old press herald printing and distribution lot. I don't know where that stands. The design can be seen on the archetype website. The children's museum will now not be ready till 2020 due to the soil. No word on the thompson's point hotel and probably won't start till fall due to the concert season. Have they found a contractor for the Aloft hotel on commercial street?

If I recall, the 10 story law school building on the Archetype website is just a "concept" I don't think that will ever come to fruition. USM has updated their campus master plan to include the law school / graduate center as an integrated part of their Portland campus.

I haven't heard anything else about the Congress / Franklin lot redevelopment, but I think a few civic leaders have eyes on that parcel for a convention center. It's by far the best site in the city for such a venue.

But that parcel is one of the very few areas zoned for 190-210 feet, so it would be foolish to not maximize the space and top the convention center with office / hotel / condo space.

I have heard that it might be Opechee Construction Corp. out Belmont, NH for Aloft Hotel. Opechee has built several hotels in the Portland area and throughout the State of Maine.

If I recall, the 10 story law school building on the Archetype website is just a "concept" I don't think that will ever come to fruition. USM has updated their campus master plan to include the law school / graduate center as an integrated part of their Portland campus.

I haven't heard anything else about the Congress / Franklin lot redevelopment, but I think a few civic leaders have eyes on that parcel for a convention center. It's by far the best site in the city for such a venue.

But that parcel is one of the very few areas zoned for 190-210 feet, so it would be foolish to not maximize the space and top the convention center with office / hotel / condo space.

Recent good news is the ex-Governor of Connecticut has been hired to run the entire Univ. of Maine system. These things, expansion delays, etc., are almost always due to poor leadership. Perhaps now we will see something happen. Although, the law school is under the Univ. of Maine moniker, and will be on the University of Southern Maine campus. I think they need to change the Portland campus to the Univ. of Maine at Portland (Gorham can be UMG). Not UMPG! Confusing as all hell. Only 2-3 people outside of the Portland area have heard of Gorham. It should be UMP, and they could up the sports programs by playing in CIA. Many, far less exciting cities across the U.S. do this, centering -- and promoting -- their local university sports teams. Who on these blogs has been to a recent USM hockey or basketball game? Who has bought, outside of current students, new USM Huskies merchandise? (crickets) I know, sad, sad, sad. Also, they need to up the biology program at USM/UMP. With all the new biotech companies thriving and locating in the Portland area, high school graduates should be staying here, not going to Boston area schools. Look at the PPH list of the Portland area's top high school grads which is printed every year. None are attending college in Maine.

Last edited:

Back