Portland Observatory

Corey

Reaction score
Obligatory background information from www.portlandlandmarks.org
It's not a lighthouse! (And it has nothing to do with astronomy.) The Portland Observatory (1807) is the only extant maritime signal station in the United States, and thus a unique architectural icon of maritime shipping and the "Golden Age of Sail." The Portland Observatory was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and became a National Historic Landmark in 2006.

Sea captain-turned-entrepreneur, Lemuel Moody (1768-1846), ordered construction of this octagonal, 86 feet-high tower to serve as a communication station for Portland's bustling harbor. With his powerful telescope, Moody identified incoming vessels and then signaled merchants with coded signal flags. "Signalizing" allowed merchants ample time to reserve a berth on the wharves, and to hire a crew of stevedores before a vessel docked.

The Observatory was built at the eastern end of the Portland peninsula on Munjoy Hill, which was a cow pasture at the time. Moody built his home and other buildings near the tower. The complex was replete with banquet and dance halls as well as a bowling alley. From the time it opened in 1807, it was a tourist attraction.

They had a 200th anniversary celebration on Thursday June 14th, 2007 with free admission. It's funny how most of us who live here have never been up it before. I was glad to finally take in the view. The weather started clearing up as the afternoon proceeded, so the view were pretty nice.

dsc0439nh2.jpg

untitled9fg5.jpg

untitled8mi1.jpg

untitled7yc6.jpg

untitled6kx3.jpg

untitled5fe9.jpg

untitled4kz3.jpg

dsc0805rn1.jpg

dsc0817ix2.jpg

dsc0816rg9.jpg

dsc0815ey5.jpg

dsc0814rc1.jpg

dsc0812kq7.jpg

dsc0809rx5.jpg

dsc0804pj2.jpg

dsc0802qm3.jpg

dsc0797mx3.jpg

dsc0800mo7.jpg

untitled3lh0.jpg

Click me
dsc0810qh0.jpg

wow Corey, thanks for the pictures....These are great, I've never seen Portland like this. It really shows how beautiful it is.

Lookin' good! I this is the first time I've seen how the new Hilton and Bangor Savings Bank blend into the Oldport/Marginal Way area. See lots of construction too...always a good thing...Great pics!

Back