Portland Passenger Rail

I watched the original public hearing when they unveiled the three proposed sites, and it seemed obvious at the time that Site 3 was preferred. The fact that they want to keep the maintenance facility on Thompson's Point pretty much nails it. I am sure that the Ferguson site and the crappy buildings in front of it will be a much cheaper purchase than all or part of Union Station Plaza would be.

The bottom line is, they want to get out of paying rent to Concord Coach. That's the main driver. That and taking however long off the BRK-BON runtime.

I watched the replay of their webinar from two days ago. Among the highlights for me was hearing one of their project engineers say that Site 3 would allow a "cross-platform transfer" between the Downeaster (5 trains per direction each day) and the east-west rail service (doesn't exist).

We're supposed to nod our heads in agreement at the matrix shown on the Station Site Comparison slide in their presentation, which puts Sites 2 & 3 on equal footing on the basis of transit connectivity. Site 2 is adjacent to the bus system's High-Frequency Corridor, where multiple routes converge to provide 10-minute headways into Downtown. Site 3 is along a single bus route that comes through every half-hour...and could be the future home of a hypothetical cross-platform transfer!

Getting the station off the Mountain Division and onto the mainline makes plenty of sense from an operational standpoint, so at least in the abstract, this is a worthy project. But Site 3's real comparative advantage is that it provides easy access to the branch, where the maintenance facility is located and where future rail service to Westbrook would run...but they could have their cake and eat it too if they just rebuilt that portion of the wye. I look at all the stats that are meant to impress me about how inefficient it is for them to access the branch on a yearly basis ($973,000 in costs! 31,000 passenger hours!) and can't help but wonder why they haven't already built it, or why they aren't proposing to relocate the maintenance facility off the branch, too.

Truth is, none of the three proposed sites would be much of a step up in terms of TOD, bike/ped/transit connectivity, etc compared with the existing PTC. The Western Promenade, while beautiful, is a geographic barrier that puts the area around St. John Street at least a half-hour walk from the heart of Downtown. It would be hard to beat Congress Street in terms of transit access no matter what, but if the proposed rail bypass along 295 were ever built, then the best spot for compelling TOD would be in Bayside, along Marginal Way. A station over there would only be a half-mile walk from Downtown and offer much more potential to grow and to naturally integrate into the existing built environment.

If there were local advocates pushing the rail-along-295 vision as the ideal, long-term solution, then NNEPRA could always build an inexpensive station on Site 3 to reap the benefits of improved operational efficiency without giving anyone the idea that this is the very best Portland can ever do. Because Portland absolutely could do better.

That says they want to keep open the option to run east-west services through the new station, too, I guess along the line to Westbrook. But, really? That sounds pretty far fetched. The only new service I've ever heard proposed is to Lewiston/Auburn, but that's north.

(Tangentially, did anything ever happen with the proposals to do some commuter service for LA to Portland?)
MaineDOT launched a commuter bus service for this market last month, and it's called "The LAP." Relevant quote from the article pasted below:

"This pilot program is partially the result of calls for increased transit between Lewiston/Auburn and Portland, and that includes people who have been asking us to do a passenger rail program. Passenger rail is extraordinarily expensive. It would be a big burden on statewide tax payers," said Paul Merrill, Public Information Officer for the Maine DOT.
And they voiced similar skepticism when the bill to study extending passenger rail out to Bangor was circulating earlier this year. That bill didn't go anywhere, either. I guess the state's not interested in advancing passenger rail growth for the time being.

750 square foot passenger waiting area with restrooms is far too generous!

A 750 Sq. ft waiting area is so absurdly tiny that I thought it was a typo when I first saw it...That's about the size of a two-bedroom apartment... As far as I can tell the proposed waiting area is actually smaller than those in Wells and Saco. have no idea what NNEPRA is thinking. This station is going to be cramped and unpleasant during busy times.

This is really just a glorified park-and-ride....Actually....It's not even a glorified park-and-ride...It's just a park-and-ride. Very sad.

Last edited:
Construction costs (or cheaper labor) have severely hampered the state's ability to build projects as envisioned. During LePage's 8 years of de facto draconian xenophobia policies, the count substantially slowed, and if not, we could have allowed substantial immigration to help the problem rather than exacerbate it. Other New England states don't have our problem, or to this degree (though maybe Vermont). MPB (now leasing), Foreside, and Brady's hotel/condos project across from the Press Hotel are stalled because of it. For the near future, I don't see a substantial train station being built in Maine. Build up the existing one and Brunswick passengers should be happy that they even have a train to ride on considering the build climate. We can't even properly staff coffee shops here anymore. Concord Coach runs a smart operation. Learn and partner with them. Allowing private contracting to run the show usually fixes things (USM Portland and their new build). It is even feasible that on the other side of the tracks, the land nearer the Jetport could be used to create another connecting building with an enclosed pedestrian extension (or tram for the future) to the Jetport. The year 2035, maybe? Think of the future to respect those younger who will have to deal with these problems.

Last edited:
Around 2010, they had big plans to build a new station on Commercial St. BUT THEN, the original Thompson's Point proposal happened, which was going to include a parking garage and a new arena for the then-Red Claws (now the Maine Celtics). With those draws on-site (including the parking garage), and the prospect of a direct train connection between the local affiliate and the parent club at TD Garden, they decided to stay at PTC and let the moving plans go. Fast-forward to today, and the originally-planned site for the station is now the container port / cold storage facility. I don't know if a ROW was preserved between the back of the new VA clinic and the cliff, but if there was I suppose that in theory a track could be run across Commercial near the fried clams place, behind the VA, through the Clark St. tunnel to Angelo's Acre. But even at that point, it's a fairly long walk down Commercial to anything someone would want to visit other than Becky's, and you still have the hill to climb if you're headed to Congress or CIA.

Why are they kvetching so much about keeping the Thompson's Point layover? No Downeasters on the schedule actually terminate in Portland anymore; Brunswick is the only facility that gets used. Thompson's Point only takes some non-revenue equipment transfers these days, nothing worth keeping it around for.

I know this makes zero financial sense, but the most viable and logical option to me is to take the Downeaster along I-295, with a flag stop station at Hadlock/Fitzpatrick for games, main station at Margin Way near the Miss Portland Diner, out across Back Cove with a new bridge, connecting to the old Grand Trunk, then up to Yarmouth Junction, where you could head to Freeport/Brunswick/Bath/Rockland with one branch and Lewiston/Auburn with another.

For the immediate future, this train needs to be thought of as a Boston to Portland line. It works fine as it is for this idea. South Station in Boston is ideal because the train and bus work together as competing sources. It's nice having the bus option when you are headed to New York and the train is sold out or nearly filled (happens frequently). The South Station renovation is looking fantastic too. They are fixing many of its access and station comforts flaws. Portland could have this with Thompson's Point. There is more than enough land in the area to expand out and up. And then there is also a possible (for the future) connection to the Jetport (bridge and tunnel). Where else do you see one center hub with train/bus/airport in such close proximity? I can't think of any except for South Station (10 min on the Silver Line to Logan). When you understand and use Boston's mass trans options, there is no other city in the U.S. that comes close to its reach, convenience, safety, and cleanliness.

Last edited:
You wouldn't even need to go to the expense of a bridge or tunnel; build an access road and boat launch down from where the old weather radar was, connect to Yellow Bird Road, add enough security fencing and use an accessible Duck Boat as a ferry direct from the PTC to the terminal!

You wouldn't even need to go to the expense of a bridge or tunnel; build an access road and boat launch down from where the old weather radar was, connect to Yellow Bird Road, add enough security fencing and use an accessible Duck Boat as a ferry direct from the PTC to the terminal!
Creative. Probably a fun trip for everyone. But I was thinking more progressive and futuristic, but then again, it's Portland/Maine not Zurich or Tokyo.

Actually, having grown up near the Fore River and thinking of the extensive mudflats, I wonder if a hovercraft might not be a better choice than a DUCW. It would have to have wheels to operate in mixed traffic, but it would be a more-impressive way to cross the river, and it would work at low tide! (Cue some environmentalist who doesn't want us worrying the clam worms.)

If I had an unlimited budget and dictatorial powers that would make Kim-Jong-Un look like a gentile community organizer by comparison....I would do this...

Rebuild a new Union Station at its original location, and then from there send trains up the Union Branch to enter a new tunnel bringing trains across the peninsula into a new underground "Downtown" station somewhere near City Hall / Monument Square. from there trains would travel under the Old Port and reemerge above ground to serve a new "East End" station. From there trains would continue along the Grand Trunk corridor north through Yarmouth and branch off to Brunswick and Lewiston / Auburn.

(and obviously in this fantasy world the entire Downeaster Corridor would be electrified and double-tracked with trains running at least hourly).
1723912925921.png

Last edited:
If I had an unlimited budget and dictatorial powers that would make Kim-Jong-Un look like a gentile community organizer by comparison....I would do this...

Rebuild a new Union Station at its original location, and then from there send trains up the Union Branch to enter a new tunnel bringing trains across the peninsula into a new underground "Downtown" station somewhere near City Hall / Monument Square. from there trains would travel under the Old Port and reemerge above ground to serve a new "East End" station. From there trains would continue along the Grand Trunk corridor north through Yarmouth and branch off to Brunswick and Lewiston / Auburn.

(and obviously in this fantasy world the entire Downeaster Corridor would be electrified and double-tracked with trains running at least hourly).
View attachment 54115
When I think of a no-expense-spared tunnel through Portland, I put the station in median of Franklin Street, right at Congress. Connections to city busses right outside. Move the intercity bus station to be on top of the train station, and they'd have easy access to 295. Trains could run in a covered trench in the median of Franklin. Use that as an opportunity to shrink Franklin, put new buildings over the new train line, and stitch the city back together.

View attachment 54115
I diagrammed out a variation of this a few years ago. Going along 295 would speed things up quite a bit by eliminating the cluster of 11 problematic grade crossings on the MEC mainline north of 295. Plus the Grand Trunk ROW north of the Cove is almost arrow-straight where the MEC main has some curves in it, and would allow for an infill stop in Downtown Yarmouth. Use the 295+Grand Trunk bypass for both passenger trains and thru (non- Portland local) freight trains so the crossings are no longer blocked for minutes on end by long freights, and the MEC main gets downgraded to just an industrial track for local customers.

Continuing on and upping the game with fantasyland scenarios in Maine, I'd scrap the traditional tracked train idea for points north of Portland and make a much bigger station for transfers to a new monorail technology. The Chinese have some truly amazing variations of this (slimmer and less costly), and they can be built with supports for an elevated ride that runs within the middle of the freeways. It could be one line north to Auburn/Lewiston/Augusta, and the other north to Freeport and Brunswick; and perhaps even Rockland (over or alongside the existing train tracks). When L.A. was planning it's new Blue and Orange Line extensions, from Downtown to Santa Monica and Downtown to Pasadena, I was highly skeptical that this would be anything really efficient or convenient or desirable. But the elevated portions give fabulous views. It's fun. Yes, fun taking mass trans in Los Angeles. They had to carve out some tricky sections on the Santa Monica end and the cost is probably something too embarrassing for them to really acknowledge. The new Red Line to Hollywood is underground, and who wants to be underground during an earthquake in L.A.? Imagine an elevated monorail in Maine (with the newer, slimmer designs and tech) headed out from Thompson's Point above 295 and up the coastline to maybe even Rockland? Breathtaking. It would increase tourism with this method of travel alone.

b083fe96fac21ae0bf4505.jpg

Last edited:
I diagrammed out a variation of this a few years ago. Going along 295 would speed things up quite a bit by eliminating the cluster of 11 problematic grade crossings on the MEC mainline north of 295. Plus the Grand Trunk ROW north of the Cove is almost arrow-straight where the MEC main has some curves in it, and would allow for an infill stop in Downtown Yarmouth. Use the 295+Grand Trunk bypass for both passenger trains and thru (non- Portland local) freight trains so the crossings are no longer blocked for minutes on end by long freights, and the MEC main gets downgraded to just an industrial track for local customers.
Am I reading you right that the Bayside Trail is a landbanked rail ROW? Like, they could restore a whole line from the current main line up to Tukey's Bridge?

I know you're trying to solve a bunch of other problems with your proposal there, but it would be really great to be able to move the train station closer to downtown while also away from the highway. Say, around Chestnut and Somerset. Make the whole thing elevated while there aren't many neighbors to complain, then encourage TOD right where the city was been trying to get new development for a long time.

Like, they could restore a whole line from the current main line up to Tukey's Bridge?

It is a landbanked rail ROW, but won't likely ever be converted back to railroad use. The new interstate Tukey's Br. obliterated the Union Branch connection across Back Cove to East Deering, so it would require building a new RR alignment around the sewage treatment plant and a new bridge across Back Cove. There are also a ton of at-grade street crossings on the ROW, and parts of it (Kennebec Street) have been converted to city streets.

MaineDOT considered an alternative in a 2006 study that looked at not using the old railway, but following a I-295 ROW instead. Ultimately they concluded that the existing inland alignment was much cheaper and simpler:

Back