Portland Renderings

thanks shaz...I should also note that the larger project renderings are yours, from the 1980s newspaper clippings, which I am thrilled you posted a few years back. walker terrace type development could really do a lot to spruce up infill lots around town. The village at ocean gate project you showed is now called the watermark, and I think officially it is on hold but actually it may be a nogo. There is some sort of lawsuit going on between the development team (michael liberty and the owner of shipyard brewing) over who owns the parking garage, and there have also been some SEC fraud allegations against liberty that have further complicated things. I don't think it will be built. The federal street rowhomes are compplete and look really nice, but they are on a really rundown street. the neighborhood is (was?) in transition, thats for sure. I kind of like the new look of the shorter village at oceangate, now known as the bayhouse. it looks more appropriate for the area. but don't get me wrong I would have loved to see the taller structures too. just build something there. once the economy gets better this area is going to be great for investment, assuming the process is not so cumbersome that it detracts from the attractiveness to developers.

the westin project looked like crap at first, but the second and final project looked tremendous. that would have been real nice. the site is now under contract to be sold to some business entity, though I'm not sure what it is. Im also not sure if there are any development plans in store, or if it is just a speculative project. I assume it is probably the latter. There was also some small 5 story office building proposed for the small site attached to the oceangateway garage.

and, thanks for posting those graves hill renderings, I used to have those and looked online for them tonight but couldn't notice any anywhere. The project, I read, was initially supposed to be and proposed at 14 stories each. then scaled down. There was also a prohject in oakdale neighborhood (where USM is) for a 12 story residential project in the 1980s, but neighborhood opposition was so great that it did not go anywhere. I think that's all I can think of for now.

and here is something I made depicting how I think the city might look at build out assuming most of the sites in bayside, the eastern waterfront, and congress street are built to their max capacities. Just for curiosity.

8.JPG

new VMB bridge renderings. Thanks Corey!

100204-751406291-l.jpg

100204-1245380131-l.jpg

I like the pedestrian orientation as well. I would have liked to see a cable stayed bridge here, but there just wasn't any need or room for it. Actually, if they could have done the cable stayed design over casco bay that really would have been nice.

However, I do have to say that this design reminds me a bit of an article I read in the phoenix one time about bayside village student apartments. Basically the article included a cartoon rendering of the first design, which was critiqued by the planning board, and then showed the same image with that little swiggle design over the door and said it was the approved updated version. I think this sort of looks like the old VMB with swiggles. And what are those people looking at? The junk piles or the existing VMB? I think some more old fashioned street lamps would be nice here. the lights in the renderings look like wal-mart plaza style.

A few more images of a building never to be built:

Corner of Fore & India:
ssa25indiarendering01w.jpg

ssa20050160forestwest.jpg

Wow I haven't seen these renderings before. The only renderings I saw for this building were on the construction sign posted in front of the new gateway garage. I must say it looks better in these renderings. Thanks for sharing. It may still be an attractive site to build SOMETHING (hopefully not a gas station) in the future when the economy rebounds. Thanks again. Where did these come from?

look at how narrow fore street would have become. It would be nice if something of similar scale gets built where the watermark was planned.
OGG1.jpg

25%20India%20St.%20Corner%20Office%20View.jpg

artistsaerial_tn.jpg

This thread reminds me of the island of misfit toys from an old christmas special. They almost got there, but something went terribly wrong!

Anyway, what is the deal lately regarding Riverwalk and that area? Also, is Pearl St. apartments (or whatever they are called) going to put up a couple more buildings on that parcel in Bayside?

and here is something I made depicting how I think the city might look at build out assuming most of the sites in bayside, the eastern waterfront, and congress street are built to their max capacities. Just for curiosity.

8.JPG

that looking MOST cool

Shazbat:

Riverwalk LLC was to develop a project which finally cam to be known as the Watermark (across from the new parking garage and shown in the pictures above). Two things happened. The development team got into a squabble about who owned what portion of the parking garage (built on shipyard brewery land but claimed by I think its Michael Liberty) and at this resulted in a protracted lawsuit. As if financing isn't tight enough in a down economy, who wants to lend to a project the ownership of which is uncertain? Also, I think there were additionally charges against one of the developers for securities fraud by the SEC. There were so many projects in that part of town that I could be confusing two or more projects, but that and the economy basically explains why nothing has been constructed at the site.

As to pearl, the second set of buildings is envisioned as condominiums. As you might imagine, the market is not the best for this project. Furthermore, from what I have read in city documents, the developers (I think its avesta housing but I could be wrong) are not interested in constructing condos until the adjacent junk yard moves. I think that is the yard which has agreed to move, but it hasn't yet. Its a case of 'not the right time' to build the condos.

The economy definetly puts a dent in condo's. But then again too, this would be a good time to build in hopes that the economy will improve in a couple of years, just as the condo's come on line...As for WaterMark and the rest of that area, that has just become quite the mess! Hopefully in the next 3-4 years people around there will get their act straight and work together for the betterment of the Eastern waterfront!

The economy definetly puts a dent in condo's. But then again too, this would be a good time to build in hopes that the economy will improve in a couple of years, just as the condo's come on line...As for WaterMark and the rest of that area, that has just become quite the mess! Hopefully in the next 3-4 years people around there will get their act straight and work together for the betterment of the Eastern waterfront!

I kind of feel the same way, from the City permitting process at least (let the condos come out when the market is there for them, rather than build them when people already want to be in them), but construction financing is tied directly to the economy and availability of credit and a lot of the decisions made reflect the credit crunch. I know I'm just restating the obvious, but its something I've often wondered about, too, and that's the only thing I can think of that makes sense and explains why people don't act exactly like you suggested in a down economy (think, it would even provide good jobs).

This is one thing I've never understood. First, you're exactly right, it would be a good time to start working towards building.

However, developers don't do it. They're SO reactionary to current markets. There will always be a need for housing. This recession will end. Why not start going through the permitting process now and by the time your ready to break ground the market may recover? Some are willing to take this gamble, but not enough. Patrick's right about borrowing, but it's not the "freeze" that it was a year ago.

The Portland area is growing (the city itself may be losing population slowly, but I'm guessing it's more due to gentrification and movement to the 'burbs than it is people just uprooting and leaving), so it's a good idea to get a jump on the market. National home sales are starting to rise... nows the time to get to it! More likely though, developers in Portland (and everywhere else) will wait until the market's at its peak before proposing and then the market will decline leading to more aborted plans.

>end rant<

Yeah economics is a tricky thing. on one hand it seems like everyone should be jumping on the building spree right now to take advantage of a down market in which to build and an up market in which to sell, but if everyone did that the market would never rise again, it would constantly be saturated with endless condos since everyone wanted to "get a head start." so it is definitely tricky. Also, there are feasibility studies that developers use to calculate the viability of projects and since the future economy is unpredictable they use current data which, although not perfect, are the best they've got. The result is that no one builds or even thinks about it until things start to seem to be getting better. But, then when they get to be their best, everyone starts to build, supply outpaces demand, and the business cycle recedes again and sometimes there is an abundance of empty buildings left to show which, if not vacant, usually get downscaled from condos to apartments or something. Its best to build incrementally, in small portions, to meet immediate demand, in my opinion. that's how the really nice looking cities did it. now these superprojects just look dumb when it turns out there is either no demand or less demand for them than was previously thought. Corey had a good point when he said no more superblocks. the more I think about it the more I agree. unless of course its in the central business district or something like an arena.

maine-street-gateway-existing.jpg

main-street-gateway-north-west.jpg

main-street-1.jpg
main-street-2.jpg

MRLD prepared a 90-acre master plan for the mixed-use redevelopment of an industrial site in the Portland / Westbrook Gateway Zone. MRLD designed all aspects of the Master Plan including buildings, streetscapes, open spaces and transit connections. As part of the master plan, MRLD also analyzed Main Street Gateway for potential job creation and tax benefits to the city. The project balances the needs of pedestrians and vehicles with well-defined street networks and a series of open spaces. Views of signature buildings and the reclaimed quarry lake are established through street alignments and strategically located parks. Parking is incorporated into mixed-use structures, on-street parking and surface lots placed behind buildings. Existing and proposed transit stops are integrated into the development. Proposed buildings address existing perimeter streets, further integrating Main Street Gateway with the site context

choc-1.jpg

choc-2.jpg

choc-3.jpg

MRLD developed a site master plan and building program for the Chocolate Church Arts Center in Bath, ME. The goal is to preserve and promote the historic church as a premier performance space and architectural gem, while developing an integrated urban campus supporting new and existing programs, establishing the Chocolate Church Arts Center as the premier regional arts facility. The existing site and buildings do not engage the city nor best support the programs provided by the Chocolate Church. The plan calls for new gallery, teaching, theatre, lobby, dance studio, workshop and office space, a restaurant, and a green roof accommodating a range of programs. The roof garden spans the distance between the existing church and a new building defining the intersection. The roof garden works with the topography to create a campus setting above the embedded black box theatre and multi-purpose support areas.

standish-street-scape-copy.jpg

standish-scenario-3.jpg

MRLD is collaborating with Standish, Maine on the first ?Model Town Community Project? established by GrowSmart Maine. GrowSmart states, ?For the past three years, GrowSmart Maine has been talking with the leaders and residents of Maine communities about the increasing growth pressure that many towns are facing. We?ve learned that many towns feel unprepared to deal with these often rapid changes in a way that is both effective and fair. We?ve also found that where residents are more fully engaged in shaping the vision of a town?s future, fewer problems arise when it comes time to implement changes or enact ordinances.We initiated the Model Town Community Project to provide tools and advice that will help a growing Maine town shape its future. The project will mobilize local, state and regional resources, enable local leaders to explore new growth strategies, and fully engage local residents by combining the best elements of New England town meetings with groundbreaking new technologies.? GrowSmart Maine is teaming with the Orton Family Foundation to aid the visualization and public outreach process. The visualizations will be based on the growth scenarios that MRLD develops with the Village Implementation Committee. Standish was selected by GrowSmart Maine for the Model Town Community Project following the successful completion of the Standish Corner Design Master Plan by MRLD.

The Standish Corner Village Design Master Plan was unanimously adopted by the Town Council. The Master Plan was a key recommendation in the Comprehensive Plan. By adopting the Master Plan, Standish is showing a strong committment to curbing sprawl and changing land use regulations to support a village at Standish Corner. This Master Plan is also an example of MRLD?s ongoing committment to work with Maine communities in the resolution of complex issues resulting in responsible growth. Below is the Master Plan, not including the all the Figures.

doh_big1.jpg

Danforth on High
Danforth and High Streets, Portland
26 Small Condominiums with Shared Amenities
2 Cars Owned in Common
Construction Begins in May

The small lot at Danforth and High Streets presents a perfect opportunity for an urban infill project that combines development concepts that Random Orbit has used in the past with new tools to achieve affordable ownership. It is located in an already densely developed part of the City, within walking/biking distance of jobs and many urban amenities, and has public transportation options available. Someone living here could get the best of city life with limited needs for a car. This is an attractive location to target an underserved but vital demographic for Portland-the young (twenties) professional, single, first time buyer. This is a group that is both attracted to Portland's vibrant scene and helps to create it. It has been reported that Portland is one of only a few cities with an influx of this demographic but appropriate affordable housing is difficult to find. This forces difficult decisions as to whether to stay in Portland or leave for outlying communities or other cities where housing is more affordable. Random Orbit has proposed to the City of Portland, a progressive, urban development that combines density, small unit size and unique common amenities as primary tools to achieve affordability and urban excitement at this site.

The Project Includes:
* 26 small condominium units ranging
in size from 445-812 square feet.
* Interesting shared amenities to offer big living for small spaces and to create community. These will include: shared lounge, guest room and laundry.
* 2 cars owned in common for the use of the condo owners. Live car free-pay for use of a car only when you need it and save money!
* Energy efficiency and Maine State Housing Green Building Standards.

Who should take a close look at this opportunity:
* A prime group for this project is the young, twenty-something newly minted professional. This person doesn't have a lot of money but has their first good job. They are attracted to the excitement of urban living, want to be able to walk to work and amenities, and would like the ability to save money by not owning a car. They appreciate the community created by interesting common spaces.
* Older singles (50-60 years old) would be attracted to the convenience of the location and economics. Retired couples who want to have the excitement of urban living and the convenience of living close to cultural and shopping amenities.
* People from out of town who work in Portland or just want to have a small convenient getaway in one of the most attractive cities in the Northeast. Possibly local island dwellers.
This project will offer a hip and stylish, progressive living choice to Portland. It takes a unique approach to address some of the areas perennial housing issues. Get a toehold into the benefits of home ownership while having a dynamic connection to a great city.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a proposal for a westbrook mixed use project that the City never approved for some reason.
westbrook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Idexx's proposed new headquarters building in westbrook looks like this:

portland-press-herald_2969214.jpg

apparently the company is fighting the city over zoning regulations and the presence of Pike industries (a rock quarrying company). Portland tried to lure the company to Bayside a while back. I wonder if they'd still be interested.

I'm pretty sure the westbrook condos pulled out, it wasn't that they weren't approved.

Have you seen the under contract signs on the big grassy area on Franklin Arterial right before whole foods? Interested to see what's going on there.

Back