Portland Traffic Topic

P

Patrick

070202traffic484.jpg

From plea for safety, a plan for traffic
February 3, 2007

Thousands of people use outer Congress Street as their route into Portland each day, whether they're driving to work, school or another destination in Maine's largest city.
Others use the busy arterial, which is part of routes 22 and 9, to reach the Portland International Jetport, the Maine Turnpike and the Maine Mall area in South Portland.
Jackie Potter and other residents of the city's Stroudwater and Libbytown districts see the four-lane road a bit differently.
"This is where we live," said Potter, a Stroudwater resident. "These are people's neighborhoods."
Stroudwater and Libbytown residents say they want to be able to walk, bicycle and drive more easily in their own neighborhoods, and the city has heard them.
Portland's public works department has developed a $2 million, four-phase proposal that's designed to strike a balance between residents' concerns and the need to better control and slow traffic on outer Congress. The first phase could start as early as this year.
The proposal consists largely of re-striping and reducing the number of travel lanes in certain sections. It also would better coordinate and increase the number of traffic lights and add sidewalks and crosswalks. Similar changes were made on Brighton Avenue in the late 1990s.
The proposal is the result of a $20,000 study that will be the subject of a City Council workshop at 5 p.m. Monday at City Hall. The plan was developed by Gorrill-Palmer Consulting Engineers of Gray with help from a neighborhood committee that included Potter.
The study area runs from Interstate 295 to Johnson Road. It is lined with homes and businesses, including the West Gate Shopping Center and several medical office buildings. Today, the stretch of outer Congress carries about 21,000 vehicles per day. That number is expected to increase to about 25,000 vehicles per day by 2015, city officials said.
The study showed significant backups at some intersections along outer Congress Street, especially at Stevens Avenue and Westbrook Street during rush hours.
At a recent study committee meeting, some Stroudwater and Libbytown residents said they're not concerned that the proposed changes may slow traffic and increase congestion.
"I don't want to alter our traffic policy so that someone from Buxton can get to work and get home faster," said Elizabeth Hoglund, another Stroudwater resident.
Some people who use the road as a commuter route have a different view.
Adam Stevens and Casey Horowitz live in downtown Portland and often drive outer Congress to work in the mall area, especially when traffic is backed up on Interstate 295. They said they're concerned that the proposed changes would force them to avoid outer Congress as well.
"It's going to mess everything up," Stevens said. "Congress Street is a commuter route whether you like it or not."
The proposal calls for re-striping three sections of outer Congress to reduce the number of travel lanes from four to three, including a center turning lane. The three-lane sections would be near International Parkway, Westbrook Street and Stevens Avenue.
Because widening the road would be too expensive, the proposal also calls for reducing the width of travel lanes from 12 to 11 feet. That would allow the widening of safety shoulders and the addition of sidewalks and bicycle lanes where needed.
"I think the bike lanes definitely would be great. Portland doesn't have enough of them," said Christopher Edwards, who lives in downtown Portland and regularly bikes and walks along outer Congress.
Sharon Orlando, principal of St. Patrick School at 1342 Congress St., served on the study committee and said she would welcome the changes. Her students regularly cross the street, under teacher supervision, to attend Mass at St. Patrick Church.
"Anything that enhances the students' safety has our complete support," Orlando said.
Typical of most road projects in the city, the work would be done with a combination of federal, state and local money, said Kathi Earley, Portland's engineering services manager.
City Councilor Donna Carr and the public works department will present the proposal on Monday with the goal of winning council support. The road work may require capital improvement borrowing in the future, Earley said.
Michael Bobinsky, Portland's public works director, said the council may endorse the Congress Street improvement plan by consensus Monday night, at which point his staff would start developing a schedule to pay for and do the work.
Bobinsky said the council also may decide to send the plan to its transportation committee for further study. After that, the council may be asked to vote on the proposal as a nonbinding resolution and consider funding various phases in the future.
Whether all four phases will be done remains to be seen. Potter and other study committee members hope they will.
"We think this is a very good first step," Potter said. "We want the city to act quickly on this."
Staff Writer Kelley Bouchard can be contacted at 791-6328 or at:

This idea strikes me as a wee bit strange. Congress street, the busiest street in the state, is being considered for a downsizing? Does this seem backwards to anyone else, or is it just me? I thought when streets get busy, you widen them, not contract them. I see congestion in the future, and no I'm not a psychic. I am a long time portland resident who now lives in Buxton, and I think it is ridiculous for someone from stroudwater (which is practically as rural as buxton) to say they dont care about commuters from the western suburbs of portland--they are, after all, what drives the city. If the stroudwater yuppies want the street safer (they already live in the safest part of the city, but hey, the sky is the limit isnt it?) then I say they pay for it, they sure appear wealthy enough to. This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. lets recap real quick: portland is considering putting part of franklin arterial underground to facilitate smoother traffic flow, and they are considering revamping state street for the same reason, evidently because of the heavy number of vehicles that use those streets, and then the city is considering narrowing and reducing traffic lanes on outer congress, which is probably busier than either of the two aforementioned streets, just because some cry-babies are sick of the traffic that comes along with living in a city. This is absurd. If you want a rural atmosphere (which stroudwater comes pretty close to providing) then either live in the country, or put up with the traffic. congress street is the main thoroughfare for portland, the state's largest city, and these rich folks in stroudwater expect the city to change it for them, creating an inconveniance for thousands, while only a few hundred will benefit. That is extremely selfish. It is even more perplexing why the city would listen to such people, while at the same time it refuses to let any real development or business opportunities open up around the area. wakeup.

Very interesting article there.

People have to get into the city somehow. A busy street shows that people are coming to the city. If we didn't have any traffic problems, it might mean that nobody is coming to Portland anymore. I like the hustle and bustle.

I think they did a great job with Brighton Avenue, but Outer Congress is indeed much busier.

"Congress street is the main thoroughfare for portland, the state's largest city, and these rich folks in stroudwater expect the city to change it for them, creating an inconveniance for thousands, while only a few hundred will benefit. That is extremely selfish. It is even more perplexing why the city would listen to such people, while at the same time it refuses to let any real development or business opportunities open up around the area. wakeup."

I'm with you 100% on this one Patrick. Personally, I think for the (working) folks who live in the districts around Portland, it would be nice if they could bring back some kind of mass transit service (like the trolleys in the '30s) and link up the city that way instead of cramming everyone onto Fraklin Arterial, State Street and the "skinnier" Congress Street. OH WAIT! Transit services are a "big city" aspect and will hurt Portland's quaint character by "turning it into Boston overnight". The city will then become distasteful to these yuppies and a significant portion of the local economy will be gone! Joking aside, there might not be enough demand for a mass transit system such as this.

I agree with ya. I think the idea of installing more lights and reducing traffic lanes is retarded. The only way that I would accept the plan would be if the MDOT built a bypass around the whole area and possibly link it up with the new Commercial street extension.

I've been working on this project with Portland's bike/pedestrian advisory committee. Here's why widening outer Congress Street was rejected:

-There's not enough right of way (ROW). If the city or state wanted to widen this section of the street, and have enough room for necessary sidewalks and utility lines, dozens of existing homes and businesses would need to be demolished. This would be a disaster on the scale of Franklin Arterial, a mistake that the city has no intention of replicating.

-Widening the road will not solve traffic problems. It's a fundamental law of road design that a wider road will attract more cars: here on Congress Street, that would increase congestion instead of mitigating it, since there are so many side streets and destinations along the corridor.

-For the same reason, moving more cars more quickly through Congress Street is only going to make traffic worse on either end, in downtown Portland and in Westbrook and Buxton.

-Widening the road was also the most expensive option of those surveyed, by tens of millions of dollars. The amount of money required to widen Congress Street between Stevens Ave. and I-295 would be enough to buy three new metro bus lines on 20-minute service frequency between 6 am and 10 pm every day of the week.

-Contracting the road to three lanes, on the other hand, has these benefits: it slows down traffic, reducing the number of accidents and near-misses that cause backups; it makes the street safer for pedestrians, giving people in the neighborhood an alternative to getting in the car; it reduces backups behind turning vehicles, since there's a lane dedicated to turns and a lane dedicated to through traffic. Brighton used to be four lanes, as Congress is now, and that street actually has less congestion than it used to.

-Instead of treating it as a strip-mall thoroughfare for cars, the bike/ped committee is advocating for a more humane streetscape on outer Congress, sort of extending the central city outwards: we'd like to see denser, more walkable development in Libbytown and Stroudwater, and a redesign of the I-205 ramps to open up several acres of developable land. By making the street more attractive to pedestrians and transit users, people will have options other than driving alone, and traffic could decrease without investing in a lot of costly, land-consuming roadwork.

In general, widening roads is a failed strategy in central cities, for these reasons. If Portland wants to preserve its walkable downtown and continue to grow, it's going to have to make big changes in the way it moves people around: fewer cars, more buses and pedestrians.

Any plans for pedestrian bridges? Would a bypass be realistic?

All great points there, cneal. 3 lanes would be very nice and they would have extra room for new sidewalks and landscaping. I would love a nice tree lined boulevard type area.

Saw this on the Rights of Way blog a while ago and it's happening tonight....

Join us this December 11th at the REAL DEAL to discuss the state of Transportation in Portland!

Where: 415 Congress Street, Suite 202 (Portland Business Center)
When: 12/11/2007 at 5:30-7 pm
Panelists: Kevin Donohue (Chair of Portland's Transportation Committee); Boyd Marley (Chair of State's Transportation Committee); Eric Osborn (Chair of the Bike/Ped Committee); Julia Dawson (PACTS transportation planner)

The Feel of the Night
- Introduction of panelists
- What are Portland's Regional transportation goals?
- What are Portland's transportation goals?
- What is PACTS? How did PACTS' top 8 earmarks get developed?
- What is the bike/ped role in local transportation? What challenges are Portland bikers, walkers, and other pedestrians facing?
- How can Portland transit and Portland Regional transit studies get incorporated into the ear marks? What is the timing of the local earmarks?

Followed by questions from the audience.

Looks interesting. I am thinking about going but I've never been to something like this so I will probably not go. Any one here going? Should be really interesting.

I'll be there. You guys should come, too.

I went to last night's presentation about the new county office building on Franklin and Federal, and it sounds like a strong possibility that the developer might be the catalyst that gets the city to redesign Franklin into an urban, walkable street. This would give the county and the developer an additional 1/4 acre on which to build, too, so they have a significant financial interest in making in happen.

A big topic tonight is probably going to be Portland's parking requirements, which raise the cost of development so high as to make it uneconomical in most cases.

Back