Portland's Night skyline

P

Patrick

Sorry for the size, this might take a bit to load. but there are only five of them.

These were taken from the top of the new USM parking garage.

I present to you for your viewing pleasure, part of Downtown Portland at Rush hour

dsc03615av6.jpg

dsc03616jx0.jpg

dsc03618hv9.jpg

dsc03619fd8.jpg

dsc036151bw6.jpg

Thanks. I was in manchester today. I was impressed and overwhelmed by its size. It is so much like portland, just with a different layout, and bigger. I noticed that the neighborhoods we have "downtown" are spread out all over the city in manch. the triple decker can be found nearly everywhere. The buildings driving across the bridge toward that condo tower with the parking garage on the bottom few floors look very tall. and the brady sullivan tower, which is as tall as our tallest, looks really magnificent from that bridge. very sleek, not like our fat tower. i noticed that even for the shorter buildings in manchester, like 11 stories, they are designed so that they are tall and skinny and look like skyscrapers. ate lunch at a place on elm called the bar and grille or something like that. sorta across from city hall plaza, on the corner of elm and some other street, before the arena on the left.

Was the Timberlake show today? Did you get his autograph or what?

Nice pics pat. Is that really rush hour? I noticed the cars are actually moving which is a nice alternative to Route 128, the worst road ever, and part my new commute.

Smuttynose said:
Nice pics pat. Is that really rush hour? I noticed the cars are actually moving which is a nice alternative to Route 128, the worst road ever, and part my new commute.

Well, technically it is an hour before the rush hour. It was at 4:30, but motor vehicle activity starts to pick up around 4, and dies out around 6, with the heaviest being between 5 and 5:30, about an hour after these shots were taken. Also, the streets in the foreground are the two sides of the interstate, which tends to move faster than the inner city streets, which can, because of their narrowness, be pains in the ass to travel at the wrong time. You should see south bound and northbound traffic a little outside of the city though....probably not like 128 (definitely not, actually) but the cars stretch for probably 20 miles in each direction. its like everyone who works in portland lives out in the woods. which brings me to the question: where the heck to the people who live in portland work, if anywhere??!!? all the jobs are surely taken up by the thousands of commuters from the little towns around us.

when i took off at 5:00 for atlanta, ga back in the beginning of november, i could see the lines of commuters stretching from portland to biddeford (25 minutes away) down 295, it looked light one long beam of light.

Patrick said:
Thanks. I was in manchester today. I was impressed and overwhelmed by its size. It is so much like portland, just with a different layout, and bigger. I noticed that the neighborhoods we have "downtown" are spread out all over the city in manch. the triple decker can be found nearly everywhere. The buildings driving across the bridge toward that condo tower with the parking garage on the bottom few floors look very tall. and the brady sullivan tower, which is as tall as our tallest, looks really magnificent from that bridge. very sleek, not like our fat tower. i noticed that even for the shorter buildings in manchester, like 11 stories, they are designed so that they are tall and skinny and look like skyscrapers. ate lunch at a place on elm called the bar and grille or something like that. sorta across from city hall plaza, on the corner of elm and some other street, before the arena on the left.
did you take any pics?

no. We were visiting saint anselms, and i didnt know if we would swpend much time in the city, so i didnt even bring a camera. Manchester is funny, sometimes it feels like a portland with taller buildings and other times it feels ten times the size of portland. I fell in love with the brady sullivan tower. It is the same height as our tallest but it looks so much taller!

Well why don't you just marry the brady sullivan tower if you're so in love with it. You hardly call Back Bay Towers anymore. We cooked you dinner last night and you didn't even have the nerve to call and tell us the Timberlake concert ran late. Fine. I'm going over to Franklin Towers and throwing myself into the wind tunnels. Who knows what county or state I'll end up in.

grittys457 said:
Well why don't you just marry the brady sullivan tower if you're so in love with it. You hardly call Back Bay Towers anymore. We cooked you dinner last night and you didn't even have the nerve to call and tell us the Timberlake concert ran late. Fine. I'm going over to Franklin Towers and throwing myself into the wind tunnels. Who knows what county or state I'll end up in.

This isn't what it looks like, I swear. Its just so hard to explain...uh, how can I put this? Its not Portland, its me, I've changed. Your a great city and all...but, well, they've got timberlake, and, uh, you don't. Sorry, we should stay friends. its better that way.

ROFLMAO!!! So are you transferring to St. A's? Thats what we call it around here in case you didn't know.

M. Brown said:
ROFLMAO!!! So are you transferring to St. A's? Thats what we call it around here in case you didn't know.

Nah, my little sister was checking it out for when she attends college. I graduated last May. All done, fortunately. I didnt say St. A's cause I wasn't sure if that would ring any bells, but I have heard my grandfather (from concord) call it that before.

Patrick said:
M. Brown said:

Nah, my little sister was checking it out for when she attends college. I graduated last May. All done, fortunately. I didnt say St. A's cause I wasn't sure if that would ring any bells, but I have heard my grandfather (from concord) call it that before.
What did you get your degree in? Have you found a job yet?

M. Brown said:
Patrick said:
M. Brown said:

What did you get your degree in? Have you found a job yet?

I received my Bachelors degree in Political Science, and I have two minors, one in economics, and the other in history. I am only two or three classes short of a second major, and I may at some future date pursue it (in economics). anyway, I started grad school and had to withdraw for family reasons, now I am looking for a job, I interviewed today to become to manager of front desk at holiday in by the bay. woo hoo. haha.

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen the time and temp building lately????? It is entirely blue! it is lit up at night by blue strobe lights! I hope thats not just for Christmas.

Great shots Patrick!

Perhaps a few shots of this new blue lighting scheme on the time & temp would be possible too. I can't wait until winter break to see it.

Working at the Holiday Inn by the Bay would be pretty cool. Over the summer me and my friends would go in their and get free coffee all the time. Sometimes they had free juices also. We kind of became friends with the lounge singer on weekends.

On that topic, my grandfather worked at a hotel in OOB long ago, or so I'm told, and he got to live there for the summer. Do you think they still do this? I really want an apartment but I can't afford one so living and working at a hotel in town would be pretty sweet.

I planned on taking some shots of it for myself. I will def share them on here.

I say try and sublet from a usm person, get some of your buddies together, split the (cheaper) rent, because I doubt they let you live in hotels nowadays.

I feel bad for not adding pictures on here with the view I have. I look at the big blue building out my window. They light it up every year at this time. I was thinking too that it would be cool to have a few of the buildings lit up all year.

Thanks for sharing Gritty! Do you have access to the roof of your building or is it only for the people living on the top floor? I looked into apartments in that building when my dad was looking for a place last year.

Back