Portside at Pier One | 29 Marginal Street (Pier 1, Pier 5) | East Boston

You may recall, I put the boots to it in this thread some time ago.

To answer your question, design-wise, it's reading-the-phone-book boring, and urbanistically, it's lazy and unimaginative...

I had this to say in the broader sense:

This place, and others like it, are symptomatic of a culture lacking in an awareness of its own catastrophic superficiality.

and...

We've built a spit-shined, auto-centric, lily-white simulacrum of an urban experience within sight of an actual city. Maybe this is something to celebrate, but count me the fuck out.

I was extraordinarily happy that I'd pissed a few folks off; I'm glad to know that people are awake and willing to engage in a mindful disagreement. I hate being right -- it means that my opportunity to learn is in the rear-view.

When pressed for an alternative to the current build-out, I made this back-of-the-matchbook list:

• A larger residential component with a higher percentage of affordable units;
  • Condominiums targeted for bicyclists and public transportation advocates, with covenants that restrict (or curtail, or at least disincentivize) car ownership;
  • Significantly reduced parking counts for both residents and visitors;
  • A fleet of sharable vehicles, serviced by students of an on-site vocational training program;
  • In the same mode as affordable housing requirements, affordable commercial leasing for local retailers and restaurants (likely part of a public-private partnership).

Really, it's the beginnings of some things I'd like to see closer to home, at Suffolk Downs.

i said Austin TX, but it looks much more exactly like S. California's endless condo hell: Oxnard, or Rancho "Guacamole" (Cucamonga), or like anywhere along the "15" from San Diego to the Inland Empire....

Why are there giant condom-looking things hanging out of the windows? What are those things for?

I actually dont think the architecture is bad just the non road layouts and lack of retail sucks. Id say public space too but clippership wharf is going to have a lot.

Why are there giant condom-looking things hanging out of the windows? What are those things for?

They are likely doing an air infiltration blower test. Either that or they are trying to keep buildings like this from reproducing ... which I am in favor of.

cca

I actually dont think the architecture is bad just the non road layouts and lack of retail sucks. Id say public space too but clippership wharf is going to have a lot.

Any designer worth their salt can make good architecture out of not great criteria.

cca

They are likely doing an air infiltration blower test. Either that or they are trying to keep buildings like this from reproducing ... which I am in favor of.

cca

Good one! If only you could upvote posts. :)

For a minute, I was honestly wondering if there were plans to install those old nasty window A/C units there. That would have made absolutely no sense, I know, but considering that this project in general doesn't look so great quality-wise..

Any designer worth their salt can make good architecture out of not great criteria.

cca

Yes, but can the designer win the battle against the developer who wants the cheapest build possible?

Back