Possible new lighting regulations in Boston

statler

Reaction score
The Globe said:
BRA seeks change, in a flash
Plans to allow glitzier lighting

By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | February 28, 2007

More than 30 years after outlawing big flashing signs in all but the seediest areas of the city, Boston wants to bring back some glitz to parts of town deemed too dark and staid at night.

Saying it wants colorful electronic marquees to create an atmosphere like Times Square in New York, the Boston Redevelopment Authority is planning to amend the city's zoning code to permit electronic signs that make "bold use of graphics" and create a sense of "animation and motion" and "images that engage the public."

The new rules would apply in the Theater District, the South Boston waterfront near the convention center, and Lansdowne Street near Fenway Park, areas that draw tourists and are considered ripe for nightlife development.

"It will enliven those areas, make it more interesting and unique, in the same way as when you're in New York City and you go to Times Square," said Kairos Shen, the BRA's director of planning, who is heading the effort. "It will help bring our Theater District to the 21st century, in terms of image."

Boston banned flashing signs in the 1970s amid agressive urban renewal efforts including the razing of Scollay Square to create Government Center. The city allowed the signs only in a small area near Chinatown described in the zoning code as "an adult entertainment district." Everywhere else, commercial signs were required to be static and emit only "continuous light."

But city officials, including Mayor Thomas M. Menino, began to feel that some districts needed a lift and could benefit from the color and action of more lively signs, especially from the electronic billboards that use thousands of tiny lights to create pictures and moving images. At the same time, businesses in Boston have been pressing the city for permission to install more visually impressive signs, and officials decided to capitalize on the wave of interest.

"We're trying to be ahead of this new, exploding technology," Shen said.

City planners said they are allowing the signs in areas seen as up-and-coming entertainment districts, like the blocks around the South Boston convention center, where nightlife has not caught up with the spate of new hotels and other development, and near Fenway Park, where the city, state, and the Boston Red Sox have been laying plans for transportation and neighborhood improvements to bring the zone to a new level.

While relaxing the code in those areas, the city is maintaining its sign restriction in other parts of the city, updating the zoning code to specifically ban the new electronic signs outside the three designated zones.

The BRA is scheduled to hold a hearing on the issue tonight. To become part of the zoning code, changes must be approved by the city's zoning commission. If the changes are adopted, they would enable businesses to mount screens on the facades of their buildings, where they could be lighted from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

The changes include 20 design guidelines that aim to keep the signs in character with the districts where they're installed, and the city would have the right to order signs removed if the BRA finds them offensive or distracting to drivers or pedestrians. The city also would restrict the amount of commercial advertising that sign owners could run on the signs and would require that 10 percent of the programming contain public service announcements, such as the weather, news, or time of day.

"We can't do this willy-nilly," Shen said.

Many businesses in the Theater District currently have painted signs or small neon signs in their windows. The city has recently granted permission for some electronic signs in the Theater District; the Cutler Majestic Theater, for example, got permission to install an electronic sign that changes every few seconds and displays text in red, purple, and turquoise.

Typical theater signs have marquees that require block letters to be installed by hand. Owners complain that those are costly and don't allow for promotion of upcoming shows.

"It would liven things up," said Josiah A. Spaulding Jr., president of the Citi Performing Arts Center, which controls the Wang and Shubert theaters. "It would cost less money [than changing the marquee]. You'd be able to do more messaging, you'd be able to promote more shows at the same time, and you'd liven up the Theater District."

He said it costs the Shubert several hundred dollars to change the marquee because the work requires a truck, a city permit, and a police detail.

The city is also planning a new building at the corner of Tremont and Stuart streets that will act as a gateway to the Theater District. Plans call for a 12-story, curvy, glass building whose focus will be a large electronic video display facing the streets.

But citing traffic and neighborhood concerns, the BRA rejected a proposal from TD Banknorth Garden last year to erect a giant video billboard on its building facing Interstate 93.

Residents interviewed yesterday agreed that allowing flashier signs would, in the words of one, add "a little Boston bling." But they were dubious that the new signs would have much impact.

"Would I be more likely to go to the theater? No," said Sidra Vitale, 36, who passes through the area every day on her way to New England School of Law. "I'm not going because of the sign."

"Just change a few signs?" scoffed Astrid Claessens, a 22-year-old Boston resident. "I don't see how that will change the area."

Matt Viser can be reached at maviser@globe.com.
Link

These people say they won't be affected by a few flashing signs, but I believe they underestimate the power of distraction. Maybe those TWO people will not go because of it, but I can almost guarantee that attendance will be up.

Finally, Boston steps into the 90s. This city is always 10-15 years behind the rest of the world in terms of culture.

An old thread yes, but I would love to see this happen. Boston could use a little "bling" and excitement to the eyes of its tourists and citizens. I mean I feel excited when I go to NY and other cities with "Bling" and I feel my hometown deserves that flair to excite people too. Let's stop being so up tight, outdated and old fashioned, it's now 2008. Let's act like it.

"We're trying to be ahead of this new, exploding technology," Shen said.

I nearly pissed myself with laughter. Have these Puritans ever heard of that land in the west. What's it called again? Oh right, Las Vegas.

Why don't they enact some legitimate light regulations, such as reducing upward light pollution, requiring LED/low energy in all new construction, etc.

A few blinking bulbs in the former titty district ain't gonna fix a flailing economy.

wha's the deal with that 'fllashy curvy 12 story building'?

Financing a fairly short building with uneconomic floorplates in this economy? I'd be surprized if we ever hear about it again!

Last edited:
They should have included Chinatown in the flashing signs zone.

wha's the deal with that 'fllashy curvy 12 story building'?

I wanted to know about this building as well, it is referred to as Parcel P7-A on the corner of Stuart and Tremont Streets. So I just picked a person (Gerald Autler) at random on the BRA website and sent in my question as to the status of it. Here is his reply:

Developer has tentative designation, which means they're on a timeline
to put in a proposal for further review. Too soon to say if this will
be built, especially given the current financial/economic atmosphere.

Let me know if you need more information,

Autler, Gerald
Subject: RE: Parcel P7 A

(See attached file: wilbursquarenightshotb2qt7.jpg)

But all this when the mayor just asked for all the tall buildings to turn their lights out. Just seems like a double negative to me.

Menino first wanted more buildings to have lighting features, then tells them to turn their lights out. Menino wants to build a tall iconic building in TNP, but recently keeps pointing out buildings are too tall. I used to be behind this guy despite his public speaking attempts, but I'm jumping off that bandwagon: its time for a new mayor for the city. Too much pandering, too much resistance to new development in a time where most if not all should be welcomed and for its tax revenues.

CitiCenter just fired up a new color, animated marques at the Shubert Theatre. It is similar to the one at the Emerson Cutler Majestic.

I have to assume they will do one for the Wang Center as well. It's a nice addition.

I wanted to know about this building as well, it is referred to as Parcel P7-A on the corner of Stuart and Tremont Streets. So I just picked a person (Gerald Autler) at random on the BRA website and sent in my question as to the status of it. Here is his reply:

Developer has tentative designation, which means they're on a timeline
to put in a proposal for further review. Too soon to say if this will
be built, especially given the current financial/economic atmosphere.

Let me know if you need more information,

Autler, Gerald
Subject: RE: Parcel P7 A

(See attached file: wilbursquarenightshotb2qt7.jpg)

Nice thanks for sharing this with us!....

Back