Power House | 108 3rd Avenue | Charlestown Navy Yard

goldenretrievers

Reaction score
http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/building-108

The Proponent is proposing a 77,435 SF Lab and R&D building with retail/café space, below grade parking, and associated building service uses including bicycle parking and trash room for the tenants of the Ropewalk and other authorized users in the Navy Yard.

LOI

1649425624269.png

1649425335432.png

1649425578931.png

1649425703290.png

Attachments

• 1649425309917.png
    1649425309917.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 52
Probably a lot, as typical in buildings of that vintage. But it's still worth preserving and rehabbing, IMO.

yes, fully worth preserving. and not at all rare/unusual for buildings like this to be preserved, whether in boston or in places that command much, much less $$ per sq foot.

Looks like the scumba-- sorry, developers, plan to knock the historic structure down for a Mickey Mouse replacement:
From the LOI: "The existing dilapidated building, which now sits amidst residential and other uses, will be replaced with a state-of-the-art R&D facility designed to complement the historic buildings and adjacent uses in the HMA with thoughtful and careful design, massing, and use of materials."

yes, fully worth preserving. and not at all rare/unusual for buildings like this to be preserved, whether in boston or in places that command much, much less $$ per sq foot.

Looks like the scumba-- sorry, developers, plan to knock the historic structure down for a Mickey Mouse replacement:
From the LOI: "The existing dilapidated building, which now sits amidst residential and other uses, will be replaced with a state-of-the-art R&D facility designed to complement the historic buildings and adjacent uses in the HMA with thoughtful and careful design, massing, and use of materials."
That's too bad. I hope the new building will have some quality of materials and detailing, and not just be another flimsy Kenmore Square North house of cards.

Probably a lot, as typical in buildings of that vintage. But it's still worth preserving and rehabbing, IMO.

If you read any of the historic documents on this building, it was determined that it needed to be demolished back in the 1970s. The finances that make that work have just caught up. It's full of toxins and extremely deteriorated. Not everything old needs to be saved.

Let's focus that preservation energy on the Hoosiac Stores building, which is perfect for reuse but the NPS wants to tear down for a generic replacement.

excellent photos, LexSEDotVille...did you happen to see anything going on at the chain forge building?

Unfortunately I forgot to check. I'll make sure to document next time I'm in the Navy Yard.

Let's focus that preservation energy on the Hoosiac Stores building, which is perfect for reuse but the NPS wants to tear down for a generic replacement.

This thing?

1677003603921.png

It looks like a wholly unremarkable plain brick cube. Unless there are some hidden architectural gems on the inside, I can't possibly see what's worth preserving about it.

That's too bad. I hope the new building will have some quality of materials and detailing, and not just be another flimsy Kenmore Square North house of cards.
From the 2022 LOI,
The Project will undergo Large Project Review pursuant to Article 80 of the Code and is
intended to comply with the Harborpark: Charlestown Waterfront zoning district, and the
Charlestown Navy Yard subdistrict. The Proposed Project is also intended to comply with
Design Guidelines governing the redevelopment of buildings within the Historic Monument
Area of the Navy Yard.
Bolding mine
I believe these are National Park Service Design Guidelines. more specifically titled The Secretary s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. (<this includes the standard for reconstruction.) This Power Plant is within the Navy Yard acreage portion of the Boston National Historic Park. I do not believe the proponent has the option of not complying,, as the Power Plant site is Federally-owned land.

It's under Federal Protection, get used to it. Hoosac Warehouse. I bet there are some interesting things hidden inside.

Not really.

Last edited:
Not really.

I started this, but we probably need a new thread for the NPS plans for its part of the Charlestown Navy Yard. A warehouse building is great for reuse as a museum. It typically has the structural loads and the long spans that benefit that program. While the NPS hasn't shown an actual design, what they are showing is really pedestrian and uninteresting. If I am a typical tourist coming to a historic site, a historic warehouse is a great introduction to that. I always think about the Guinness experience in Dubin. Great adaptive reuse with really contemporary interventions and exhibits.

Back