PROP 8 PROTEST 11/9/08 CENTRAL SQUARE CAMBRIDGE

In case you didn't 'get it', I do support gay marriage. I don't however think walking in circles with signs is an effective means of change.

Grassroots education and information campaigns, petitions to government officials, appeals to the courts, and fund-raising for support of said actions are valuable and productive. Appearing in an unrelated state to an injustice, where it is unlikely anyone from the state where the objectionable actions are occurring will even see you, is ineffective and a waste of time. Making the argument in the right forum, where action can actually make a difference and be seen is a better use of time. If you can't go to California, work the phones and the internet to provide logistical support to those whom can.

Then why are you even posting this in this forum? You know this forum cannot stop those protesters from staging a protest in the street. Why don't you do something more effective and call the organizers and tell them your plan instead of wasting your time here.

Just on a side note. I don't have any beef with you Lurker outside of this.

I'm picking up on your point. You're comparing what caravaggiste is doing to gabbing on a message board. I think that's obviously false.

What's more amusing is that your Itchy point fails. To deny that this board contributed in a significant way (bringing 'like minded peers' together) to Itchy's venerable Shreve fight is as naive as you take Cambridge activists to be.

Getting back to an earlier point, I disagree that a church has the same right as a private citizen to finance a constitutional amendment. A church is tax exempt so there must be a line that cannot be crossed and I believe that constitutional amendments are over that line. If any tax exempt organization wishes to delve so deeply into politics they should do so without taxpayer subsidy.

How long will it take before Gay Marriage is in front of the Supreme Court?

Obama`s second term, when the Court leans left.

Nice to see everyone is talking about this. The protest today was successful. There are 2 more upcoming. One Saturday at City Hall in Government Center - being organized by me and a girl I'm friends with. We're expecting at least 3000 people. It is a result of Impact for Change a national drive for overturning Prop 8 in California. Also, there will be another protest in Cambridge at city Hall Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 2:00.

You can disagree as much as you please. You have the right to voice your opinion just as I do. Marriage legislation will be overturned nationwide when mass protests start getting staged everywhere. They're already prevalent in major urban areas. (10,000 in LA, 5,000 SF, 10,000 expected in NYC, thousands in other cities and now here in Boston. For those of you who are interested, please come. Be prepared for a new Civil and Social rights movement. Equality for EVERYONE is coming soon.

Kid: Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?
Amendment: I'm not garbage.

(starts singing)

I'm an amendment-to-be, yes an amendment-to-be,
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.

There's a lot of flag-burners,
Who have got too much freedom,
I want to make it legal
For policemen to beat'em.

'Cause there's limits to our liberties,
At least I hope and pray that there are,
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

(spoken)
Kid: But why can't we just make a law against flag-burning?
Amendment: Because that law would be unconstitutional.
But if we changed the Constitution...
Kid: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!
Amendment: Now you're catching on!

Kid: What if people say you're not good enough to be in the
Constitution?

(sings)

Amendment
: Then I'll crush all opposition to me,
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

(spoken)
Congressman: Good news, Amendment! They ratified ya!
You're in the US Constitution!
Amendment: Oh yeah!

I'm against this as much as any of you are, but I don't see what good it is to protest in Cambridge or Boston. The California courts, legislators, and voters are going to have to fix this. Nobody else has any authority in the matter.

Gov. Schwarzenegger has suggested that he'd like the California Supreme Court to overturn the amendment. Let's see where that goes.

I'm against this as much as any of you are, but I don't see what good it is to protest in Cambridge or Boston.

Solidarity & visibilty. I'm sure it means something to the people of California that people all over the country are up in arms about the amendment, and the more people (nationwide) see protests in the streets and on the news...the more people will know about it. Protests here will not directly cause any change, but they are part of the wave of change.

Back