Providence developments

I'd say it's more appropriate to put it under 'Architecture and Urban Planning'; official designation or not, it definitely is too far, physically and psychologically, from Boston to be included here.

justin

maybe a separate forum for its own. Even then, do we have anyone here who could really contribute enough to justify a new forum. Also with that, you open the floodgates to more forums being created which would make it messy around here.

Wouldn't "Northern and Greater New England" be the most logical place for a Providence thread? I think of "Architecture and Urban Planning" as a catch-all for anything outside of NE, so Providence wouldn't fit there but I definitely don't think it belongs in the main Boston forum for reasons Justin cited, and there currently isn't enough demand around here to justify creating an entirely separate sub-forum. Plus, when you break things up into sub-forum after sub-forum, people are less likely to click on each one which leads to some topics being neglected.

If we really need to, just drop "Northern and-" from the title.

It is somewhat absurd to have a forum devoted to Northern New England when there's such an abundance of construction in Providence (and presumably other New England cities not in NH or Maine). I concur with "drop the Northern"...I was surprised when I visited Providence recently and the skyline seemed to have doubled itself without any representation on this forum.

czsz said:
It is somewhat absurd to have a forum devoted to Northern New England when there's such an abundance of construction in Providence (and presumably other New England cities not in NH or Maine). I concur with "drop the Northern"...

Done. If things are as happening in Providence as you make them out to be, I have no problem with giving the city its own forum, as well. I just havent seen many Providence posts around here, so the thought never really occurred to me.

I think we should make a sticky for all official development threads such as this one, similar to the way it is done on SSC so it will be more organized and would not fade away.

We used to have a regular contributor who posted about nothing but Providence. I miss him and wish he would return here.

1. There is already a providence construction thread in the greater and northern new england forum section. It is entitled "The Other "P" City" started by castevens

http://architecturalboston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88

2. The reason there is a separate forum for northern new england type cities and not necessarily for providence is because at the time the site was re-done a bit a few months ago (when the northern was added) there were tons of posts about portland, manchester, and nashua eating up the "other cities" section, and only a few off and on again posts about providence.

There is a lot of development in san dieago, too, a lot more than in maine and NH. why dont we make a san diego forum because of that fact? because no one would post in it.

There are ten times the posts for northern new england cities and their environs than there are for providence, regardless of the development disparity that exists between these two areas.

Patrick said:
1. There is already a providence construction thread in the greater and northern new england forum section. It is entitled "The Other "P" City" started by castevens

http://architecturalboston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88

2. The reason there is a separate forum for northern new england type cities and not necessarily for providence is because at the time the site was re-done a bit a few months ago (when the northern was added) there were tons of posts about portland, manchester, and nashua eating up the "other cities" section, and only a few off and on again posts about providence.

There is a lot of development in san dieago, too, a lot more than in maine and NH. why dont we make a san diego forum because of that fact? because no one would post in it.

There are ten times the posts for northern new england cities and their environs than there are for providence, regardless of the development disparity that exists between these two areas.

I had some of the same thoughts you mention before posting this thread. Providence is part of the Boston metro while San Diego is not, making Providence more interesting to most of us here. Anyway, having threads for individual, active New England cities makes sense because a lot of people interested in development frequent these sites. By having a thread especially for Providence, I hope we can get some interest and contribution from people who live in nearby cities. It's no disparagement of other cities. I simply wanted to add one of the bigger cities that, although they are experiencing a boom, we hear almost nothing about it here.

Makes sense. However I can imagine a scenario in which a new Forum is made for providence and nobody posts regularly, while Portland (by far the second most active topic on the board) remains lumped in with "everything in new england outside of boston." Just seems odd to make a forum for providence when there is no demand for it, at least no visible demand. But I will not mind either way, whatever works for everyone else is fine by me.

If we get lots of threads for Providence or any other single city, it can have its own forum. Until then, let's just leave it all here.

Solution: those obsessed with Portsmouth, Portland, and Manchester three-decker construction can move to Providence and post copiously about the massive construction happening there. :)

czsz said:
Solution: those obsessed with every new Portsmouth, Portland, or Manchester three-decker can move to Providence and post copiously about the massive construction happening there instead. :)

I was in Providence on Friday and Saturday and took a few seconds to grab these shots of the Westin addition, something that's name escapes me and the GTech building, all completed of late. It's too bad we don't have anybody from Providence on this board, it's quite the city, definitely second only to Boston in New England in terms of development, culture, dining and everything else really. I haven't been there much lately as I've been spending most of my time between Boston, New York and Houston(vomit) but it's really improved a lot since I last spent a night there in 2005.

1228071459.jpg

1228071455a.jpg

1228071455.jpg

1228071338.jpg

I make excuses to visit Providence now and then. The city seems very healthy when it comes not only to new development but also a number of major downtown renovation projects. Impressively, though, Providence would be a delightful city even without the new stuff.

Have they gotten rid of all those parking lots yet?

Ya, Providence is a great city, I like the downtown, and the atmosphere in Federal Hill is great. I love the prominent Italian culture down there, maybe it's just because I am Italian, but it still helps make the city very vibrant. I was excited for One Ten to be built, but I heard on skyscraperpage that it got canceled. Is this definitely true? If so, that is very disappointing.

It's true, but they are still going to build a 22 floor W hotel on the site. There was a link off the Wikipedia page but the page seems to have been deleted.

Back