Providence RIPTA Services

Starting 9/3/16 RIPTA will provide service to Seekonk along Route 6 to Commerce Drivce (Shoppers Square) on the 32 and 34 routes

I'm not 100% sure how these contracts work, but Wouldn't that be an ideal location to extend SRTA from Fall River to create a RIPTA/SRTA transfer opportunity? I think that would be an excellent connection. I think GATRA serves Seekonk (the northern part), so it's probably impossible as Seekonk is GATRA territory. I wish it were easier to enable connections between the RTAs in this area. GATRA-SRTA-RIPTA would provide extensive regional coverage (RIPTA/GATRA have a connection, but SRTA covers a huge, highly populated chunk of the South Coast and doesn't touch either agency).

I'm not 100% sure how these contracts work, but Wouldn't that be an ideal location to extend SRTA from Fall River to create a RIPTA/SRTA transfer opportunity? I think that would be an excellent connection. I think GATRA serves Seekonk (the northern part), so it's probably impossible as Seekonk is GATRA territory. I wish it were easier to enable connections between the RTAs in this area. GATRA-SRTA-RIPTA would provide extensive regional coverage (RIPTA/GATRA have a connection, but SRTA covers a huge, highly populated chunk of the South Coast and doesn't touch either agency).

SRTA goes as far west as Swansea and the furthest out Route 6 is the Swansea Mall. Seekonk is all GATRA territory and I have talked to them . They have had no calls to extend service down Route 152 to the southern part of Seekonk toward Route 6. I should point out that the new RIPTA service to Shoppers Square does not allow pickup or drop off along Route 6 in Massachusetts. It is direct service from the R.I. line to Shoppers Square.

well, technically SRTA and RIPTA do touch at least by towns served. RIPTA is in both Barrington and Warren and SRTA goes into Swansea. This also takes place between Fall River and Westport with Tiverton. Trolley's and trains used to offer local service and buses also did for a while. But it has been over 50 years since the loss of local transit service.

Back