Question about the fate of the Littlest Bar

G

I recieved an email today asking me about the Littlest Bar and I can`t remember exactly what going on with it. Can anyone please give me a quick update?

Sorry, ^ that was me, not logged in.

I thought it was getting torn down with the construction of 45 Province Street.

Here is the rendering.
1129292616_8662.jpg

Looks like they stretch out the existing garage. How can that pass for architecture?

I was down there last night, and he bar is STILL open...It was supposed to close about two months ago! Meanwhile, the garage is closed and is being prepared for demolition.

I made plans to go to the Littlest Bar last weekend. I got there at around 11 on Friday night and it was all closed up.

Did you instead end up going across the street to the Hub Pub? They got good grub.

The Littlest Bar
By Thomas J Palmer, McDermott Ventures blog

Making way for progress, The Abbey Group's luxury condominiums at 45 Province St., The Littlest Bar closed just over two years ago.

But it'll be back this month. On Broad Street, near The Times Irish Pub & Restaurant, owned by Frank Delaney.

"We'll open up for Halloween, hell or high water," said Delaney, who is now partners with Paddy Grace, owner of The Littlest Bar for more than 15 years. The two sat at a booth in The Times recently, as interior work continued a couple of doors away.

The Littlest Bar, in business going back to World War II, had about 20 seats in the below-grade, former shoeshine shop location it occupied on historic Province Street, near the Restaurant Marliave, which had been closed but reopened on Aug. 15.

"We used to get 120 in the other place," said Grace, studying the newly issued liquor license.

"Now we can do it legally," said Frank.

Yes. the new version will be more spacious.

The old bar had two beers on draft. "We'll have 10 drafts," said Grace.

There were negotiations about the bar staying in some form at the fancy new condos, but nothing materialized.

The Times is doing well. A local society magazine showed the outdoor space packed for business on one recent night. The building -- part of it razed for the Central Artery highway in the '50s -- is now right on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

Rory Delaney snoozed by the booth in her stroller, as The Littlest Bar owners schemed to get its doors open for business.

She's four months old. "That's the littlest bartender," said Delaney.

Source: The Littlest Bar

The new location:

0300.jpg

The old location:

0305.jpg

In the basement to the left of the stairs.

The architect's drawing for the new Province Street building showed a little space carved out for The Littlest Bar. What will occupy that space, now that the Littlest has moved elsewhere?

The architect's drawing for the new Province Street building showed a little space carved out for The Littlest Bar. What will occupy that space, now that the Littlest has moved elsewhere?

I just called 45 Province, and the rep said that it will be "some sort of bar" that will work in conjuction with a restaurant within the complex. She had no further details.

Last edited:

Back