Question from and out-of-towner

Hello all transit folks, a quick question.

I just interviewed for the position of City Planner in Somerville. My wife and I own a house in Portland (ME) and will in all likelihood be renting it out if I am offered this position. Until we find suitable tenants, I would be commuting to Boston via train (Amtrak) if offered the job. My question, as someone who has never taken the downeaster to Boston, is this: Is there any convenient way to get from wherever Amtrak lets off in Boston to Somerville City hall via the T? Are the two systems interconnected in any meaningful way (in other words, can I step off the Amtrak and hop on the right T line (or bus) to Somerville? If so, what might the expected travel time be? Thanks in advance!

Patrick -- I would try to plan around the DownEast as your commuter vehicle to/from North Station

For a period of time I took the DownEast -- UpWest from Anderson in Woburn to Durham on the edge of the UNH Campus where I was teaching -- -- it is a very pleasant train including free Wifi service and plugs at every seat.

You could do a couple of hours of work per day and even pop in on the Cafe Car for a snack or libation to ease the commute -- I had to limit the libations because my train part of the commute was just a bit over 1 hour and then I had to drive on Rt-128 in rush hour traffic -- but you will have plenty of time to relax

Back