Questions for the BRA

I'd put czsz, Briv & Van on that list as well. Maybe Ron too.

Put all those guys together in the room you will have WWIII.
The Archboston Bloggers versus the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

the Archboston Bloggers would kick ass because the BRA would still be waiting for Menino to tell them to talk . LOL

Re: Rose Kennedy Greenway

In each of those cases, the building was found not to be a landmark. In others (Filenes (no jokes, please...), Exchange Place, the entire Fort Point district, etc.), buildings were found to be landmark-worthy and were preserved. Again...BLC, not BRA.

GreenwayGuy you crack me up. Your posts are a mixture of facts and a stubborn, ornery clinging to idealistic fictions.

The BLC does not deem buildings to be worthy as landmarks, or not. They vote on whether a petitioned building merits protection under a specific set of guidelines. As far as I know, no BLC guidelines can prevent a demolition -- they can slow the process of demolition down for study and consideration.

I believe the BLC voted this past week to allow for the demolition of a building in the Fort Point Historic Landmark District. The building is a historic landmark by any standard, worthy of protection under the guidelines. But other factors were considered, among them the 100 Acre Plan. It was a rare case for sure, but I'm pointing it out to keep you on track with your facts. The BRA and the Mayor have a lot of influence on decisions regarding demolitions, demolition delay, BLC review and ultimately how the BLC Commissioners regard each project.

All said, I personally have nothing but the highest regard for the work of the BLC, particularly in its administration, although I don't always agree with the decisions of the Commissioners. I'd like to say the same for the BRA because I admire many of the planners there, but unfortunately politics and economic decisions nearly always trump world-class architectural and urban planning aspirations.

Either this class is very small, or the other students are mutes, or you are one of those students who always has their hand up, but the idea that this is going to be a round of 20 questions asked by you seems very far-fetched.

I am aware of that. I'm going to handpick which questions I will ask which has to be ones that are most relevant to the topic. Afterwards, any response from the BRA that could be related to the questions listed by forumers will be asked when given the chance, though I won't be surprised if many of the answers are generic.

And yes, for this class and this class only, I am one of the students that always have their hands up, and sometimes even without my hands up.

Kentxie,

Ask this question.

What is the most important 1st stage of the development process?

#1 Pay off the entire political party with BRIBES?
#2 Have a vision?
#3 Buy the land?

^^
Ah yes, but don't forget that every one of the historic examples you cite was brought to the Landmarks Commission for a final, determinant vote. In each of those cases, the building was found not to be a landmark. In others (Filenes (no jokes, please...), Exchange Place, the entire Fort Point district, etc.), buildings were found to be landmark-worthy and were preserved. Again...BLC, not BRA.

The problem with this approach is that Boston eventually becomes a city of isolated landmarks outside of the Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Fort Point, and the S. End. landmarked districts. Picture downtown houston with a unique landmark dropped in here or there. The city shouldn't rely only on the landmark commision alone to conserve what arguably is Boston greatest asset - the remaining prewar urban built environment. Landmarks are defined by their very nature as exceptional examples. If we resign preservation in Boston only to saving the best example of a particular style then the very typical but beautiful prewar buildings all over Boston are potentially at risk without some guidance or incentives from the City's planning department.

As a side note I was at the Landmark Commission meeting on the proposal to demolish the Shreve building. The building was noted to be a very attractive urban building by members, however it was also noted to consist of a blending of architectual styles and therefore not a landmark worthy example of either blended style. It's role as the home the Shreve Crump and Low for many years was not viewed as justifing landmark status either. Many of the commission members expressed dismay, bordering on shock, that Druker's proposed building design had sailed through BRA and in particular Boston Civic Design Commission review process. That doesn't inspire confidence in the status of Boston city planning.

^^
Sicilian, you wrote: "As far as I know, no BLC guidelines can prevent a demolition -- they can slow the process of demolition down for study and consideration."

Really? You try tearing a building down in a Landmark district like the Back Bay or Beacon Hill, or demolishing a landmarked structure like Trinity Church or 160 Federal Street some day and see how far those guidelines can be stretched....they absolutey do prevent demolition!! The building in Fort Point that the district commission (NOT the BLC) considered was slated for demolition before the Fort Point district was landmarked and if I know the building right, it's an unornamented, totally regular brick box that has nothing of architectural note about it, but again - the Fort Point district is only about a year old so the building's demolition was actually written into the landmarking report...not much one could do about it.

^^
Sicilian, you wrote: "As far as I know, no BLC guidelines can prevent a demolition -- they can slow the process of demolition down for study and consideration."

Really? You try tearing a building down in a Landmark district like the Back Bay or Beacon Hill, or demolishing a landmarked structure like Trinity Church or 160 Federal Street some day and see how far those guidelines can be stretched....they absolutey do prevent demolition!! The building in Fort Point that the district commission (NOT the BLC) considered was slated for demolition before the Fort Point district was landmarked and if I know the building right, it's an unornamented, totally regular brick box that has nothing of architectural note about it, but again - the Fort Point district is only about a year old so the building's demolition was actually written into the landmarking report...not much one could do about it.

You wrote, "the building's demolition was actually written into the landmarking report."

You're playing fast and loose with facts as usual.

The building considered by the Commissioners last week was ANTICIPATED for demolition during the 100 Acre planning process and a tower was ANTICIPATED on the site but BY NO MEANS WAS SLATED for demolition. Neither the 100 Acre Plan nor the BLC's Fort Point Guidelines include any language regarding a statement of support for the buildings' demolition. I challenge you to find any planning document that states support for its demolition. At best, because the District designation occured after the 100 Acre Plan was published, and the BRA anticipated the demolition during the planning process, the BLC guidelines suggest that Commissioners have regard for the intent of prior planning processes (100 Acre Plan, Municipal Harbor Plan, Seaport Public Realm Plan, etc.).

And last week, the Commissioners supported the intention of the BRA as anticipated by the 100 Acre Plan -- not anything written into the 100 Acre Plan or the BLC Guidelines. They were not obliged to do so.

Furthermore, although the building cited (319 A St Rear) may not be ornamental by comparison with the front of 319 A St, it was built by the Boston Wharf Co. in 1923, is defined as "Classical Influence" in the BLC Study Report, and was considered significant by the BLC's historian during the drafting of the BLC Study Report. To many, it is a handsome building and includes some incredible features such as the original rail tracks along its loading docks and a opening at its interface with the front building.

You have a very limited understanding of the Fort Point District's designation process if you are defining "ornamental" as a criteria for designation and/or consideration by the Commission. The Fort Point District was worthy of district recognition because it stood as a nationally notable COLLECTION of buildings -- not based on the individual merits of particular buildings. The concept of a "collection" was critical during designation because prior to the designation, developers were doing EXACTLY what you are doing -- qualifying one wharf building as less significant than another. In fact, the District designation extends not only to what you call "unornamented" structures within the FPLDC boundaries, it even designates empty parcels within the boundaries for oversight by the Commissioners.

^^
But back to my original point - it was Landmarks that ultimately allowed the demolition, not the BRA. Landmarks could just as easily have forbidden demolition, irrespective of What the BRA/100 Acres said. And yes, now that you cite the address I know which building it is - absolutely nothing to write home about and don't you think it's better planning and urban design policy to see a couple hundred housing units built there instead of a vacant, un-used, unremarkable building that serves no purpose?

You wrote, "the building's demolition was actually written into the landmarking report."

That was NOT TRUE and you are now weaseling off.

You know nothing about the enabling legislation of the BLC, of the operations of the BLC vis-a-vis the Mayor's office, and the efforts of the BLC to get on the same page with the Mayor and the BRA.

And from your writing, it's clear you have not read the BLC's Fort Point District guidelines or the 100 Acre Plan, but you want to write as if you're an authority.

So now we're down to you determining whether or not a rental apartment tower is a better fit than a historic wharf building without looking in depth at either.

I'm not wasting my time. This thread is about questions regarding the BRA.

Many of the commission members expressed dismay, bordering on shock, that Druker's proposed building design had sailed through BRA and in particular Boston Civic Design Commission review process. That doesn't inspire confidence in the status of Boston city planning.

Couldn't agree more.

Sicilian, I think you need to drop the cloak of anonymity. You have an educated point of view and it seems fair to know what the basis of it is.

I am a citizen with an occupation in a creative field that has no professional relationship with development, architecture or planning. I have no financial stake in the development of the City or Waterfront other than the fact that I own my home in Boston which obviously appreciates in value if my neighborhood appreciates in value. People who know me know my interests in planning and development are 100% voluntary as a citizen. The intensity of my interest in planning and development, at least in the Waterfront, goes back many years.

I spent 10 years attending virtually hundreds of meetings regarding the Waterfront and Fort Point, often participating on committees as a citizen and in some instances appointed by my elected officials, BRA officials or BLC officials to serve on committees as a representative of my neighborhood.

Anyone who diligently attended Seaport Public Realm meetings from 1998-2000, Municipal Harbor Planning meetings in the early 2000's, Landmark Study Committee meetings (2001-2008) and 100 Acre Planning meetings (approx 2002-2007) would recognize me. I am not interested in disclosing my name on this forum, at least for now, since my comments are often harsh and I've probably burned a few bridges, particularly at City Hall.

If there's a reason you need to know my name, let me know the reason and I'll consider it.

Anonymity allows for more accurate and less diplomatic commentary on this board than would otherwise be possible in public.

^^
But back to my original point - it was Landmarks that ultimately allowed the demolition, not the BRA. Landmarks could just as easily have forbidden demolition, irrespective of What the BRA/100 Acres said. And yes, now that you cite the address I know which building it is - absolutely nothing to write home about and don't you think it's better planning and urban design policy to see a couple hundred housing units built there instead of a vacant, un-used, unremarkable building that serves no purpose?

No, how about you renovate it to make it serve a purpose instead of demolishing it to create something that is boring and plain so that it can sail right through the BRA process and community meetings? They've done this to many landmark. I don't see why they can't do this here.

I didn't mean to suggest a name, I guess just some background ...

So what happened, KentXie? Did you ask any questions? How did they respond?

So what happened, KentXie? Did you ask any questions? How did they respond?

My mistake, I misheard the professor. He said he requested BRA officials to come next Thursday and has yet to hear a response. I'm a mood killer aren't I?

Back