Readville Complex | Hyde Park

whighlander

Reaction score
The Universal Hub has a story entitled
Would-be Readville developer sets Sisyphean tasks for self: Fixing neighborhood traffic and commuter-rail fares
By adamg on Tue, 11/01/2016 - 10:02pm

Proposed Sprague Street building

Developer Jordan Warshaw today showed up plans for a 521-unit middle-income apartment complex in four buildings that would rise as high as eight stories in what is now an industrial/warehouse area off Sprague Street between Sprague Pond, the Northeast Corridor and the Readville train station...

Three of the four buildings would look like old industrial buildings, in homage to the area's history - and to break with the fake clapboard stuff prevalent at pretty much every apartment complex built in the Boston area in recent years. The fourth building would have more of a modern feel, he said.

In addition to underground parking, the slope means that the buildings won't be nearly as visible from surrounding areas as if the land were at the same height as Sprague Street - one woman exclaimed "Oh, my God!" when Warshaw said one of the buildings would be eight stories tall.

One thing that would be visible, if Warshaw goes with it, would be a large antenna-like tower that would read READVILLE on each side, in an attempt to give the area a unique feel, almost like the Citgo Sign, he said.

sprague-building.jpg

Architect's rendering of two of the proposed buildings
sprague-all4.jpg

sprague-sign.jpg

Anytime someone mentions Sisyphus and the Citgo Sign in one post -- well you have one interesting project

Very early in the pipeline

That's actually a really good site for some infill since it's a direct extension of the Sprague St. residential abutting the other side of the pond. Fills out the residential density as far north as it can possibly go to the Sprague bridge. As close as you're going to get to something usefully accessible on the street grid that isn't isolated from other residences. Much better than the useless "tech lofts" the BRA ineptly thinks it's going to move down at the remotest end of Industrial Dr., or umpteen other Menino-era mixed-use proposals out in Siberia on the Stop & Shop warehouse parcel.

But if they think their traffic situation is bad now, they're going to have to think seriously about spanning the neighborhood with more E-W cross streets. Milton St.'s the only option for Sprague to get across, so you'd probably have to look for a reliever road up at Westinghouse Plaza spanning NP Pkwy. and HP Ave. over the tracks so the Milton St. bridge isn't slammed from every single direction. Otherwise that much infill density is going to make Wolcott Sq. an all-day carpocalypse.

Also...really hope Sprague Pond is clean on all sides. I noticed on Historic Aerials that all the nice little rowboat and fishing docks behind that row of houses suddenly disappeared in totality between the 1957 and 1969 views. But the same exact houses are still there today. That can only mean one thing: it met the same kill-you-toxic environmental fate from the industrial-abutter side as Jerry's Pit swimming hole at Alewife.

That's actually a really good site for some infill since it's a direct extension of the Sprague St. residential abutting the other side of the pond. Fills out the residential density as far north as it can possibly go to the Sprague bridge. As close as you're going to get to something usefully accessible on the street grid that isn't isolated from other residences. Much better than the useless "tech lofts" the BRA ineptly thinks it's going to move down at the remotest end of Industrial Dr., or umpteen other Menino-era mixed-use proposals out in Siberia on the Stop & Shop warehouse parcel.

But if they think their traffic situation is bad now, they're going to have to think seriously about spanning the neighborhood with more E-W cross streets. Milton St.'s the only option for Sprague to get across, so you'd probably have to look for a reliever road up at Westinghouse Plaza spanning NP Pkwy. and HP Ave. over the tracks so the Milton St. bridge isn't slammed from every single direction. Otherwise that much infill density is going to make Wolcott Sq. an all-day carpocalypse.

Also...really hope Sprague Pond is clean on all sides. I noticed on Historic Aerials that all the nice little rowboat and fishing docks behind that row of houses suddenly disappeared in totality between the 1957 and 1969 views. But the same exact houses are still there today. That can only mean one thing: it met the same kill-you-toxic environmental fate from the industrial-abutter side as Jerry's Pit swimming hole at Alewife.

F-Line we really are in agreement on this one -- not only should there be fairly dense infill here -- potentially more than 1000 units with some for families as well

The developer is apparently go to try to get the CR fare reduced to be comparable to the Fairmont Line -- also positive

Not so sure about the Illuminated Readville sign -- why not a small museum and contemporary monument to the Legendary Mass 54 that did its basic training in Camp Meigs a part of Readville before shipping out to its date with History

A nice contemporary obelisk of stainless steel and glass placed optimally to be viewed from the trains just leaving Rt-128 heading into Boston

F-Line we really are in agreement on this one -- not only should there be fairly dense infill here -- potentially more than 1000 units with some for families as well

The developer is apparently go to try to get the CR fare reduced to be comparable to the Fairmont Line -- also positive

Not so sure about the Illuminated Readville sign -- why not a small museum and contemporary monument to the Legendary Mass 54 that did its basic training in Camp Meigs a part of Readville before shipping out to its date with History

A nice contemporary obelisk of stainless steel and glass placed optimally to be viewed from the trains just leaving Rt-128 heading into Boston

Yes, right at the end of CR it should be superdense. I like the illuminated sign. Having recently driven through Hyde Park, it really seems as though time stood still there, circa mid 70s.

And not to go down the height rat-hole here, but really lady? 8 stories is Oh my God territory????

"In addition to underground parking, the slope means that the buildings won't be nearly as visible from surrounding areas as if the land were at the same height as Sprague Street - one woman exclaimed "Oh, my God!" when Warshaw said one of the buildings would be eight stories tall."

That type of reaction to development proposals is exactly why there is a middle and low income housing shortage in this city.

Community meeting about this project tonight -- 6:30pm at The Village Manor in Dedham.

Re: 521 Unit Apartment Complex | Readville | Hyde Park

screen.jpg

Boston Globe said:
It would put 521 apartments on 6.6 acres, in five- to-eight-story buildings arrayed around a central plaza and green space. The project — “laid out more like a college campus than a conventional apartment complex,” according to a news release — would include a two-story co-working space, gym, coffee house, and other amenities.

[...]

Noannet said it hopes to start construction next year and open to residents in 2019.

I live right down the street from this. A huge issue that will require buy in from the locals is how this development is not going to increase the traffic around Readville station. Yes, we can argue that during the week most will be walking to and from the train, but something needs to be done about the several intersections surrounding the station (Milton & Sprague; Milton & Neponset Valley; Milton & Hyde Park Ave).

Also, construction trucks barely come in and out of that lot, even the one closer to the pond -- from what I've seen. Its usually just Brinks and armored vehicles. The trucks primarily originate from the Commerce Park and the industrial lot next door that house an Amazon & Restoration Hardware distribution center -- now those are parcels that I would love to see redeveloped.

The Universal Hub has a story entitled

Anytime someone mentions Sisyphus and the Citgo Sign in one post -- well you have one interesting project

Very early in the pipeline

I totally read this is "... Syphilis and the Citgo Sign ..."

I dont know what that says about me.

I totally read this is "... Syphilis and the Citgo Sign ..."

I dont know what that says about me.

Well, later stages of syphilis does start affecting brain function as it begins to rot.

Despite perfect location at 2 CR lines, project gets a 25% gross sq ft reduction....

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-cal...ille-yard-5-npc-impact-advisory-group-meeting

Wrong project -- Yard 5 is located over by the bus yard, between the Franklin Line and Milton Street. I don't think it has its own thread, but it was mentioned a while back in either the Readville or Hyde Park pages. The focus was light industrial and office - no residential component.

https://www.utiledesign.com/news/readville-yard-5-featured-in-the-boston-globe/

As far as I am aware, the Readville Complex has yet to be approved by the city.

BCDC presentation: smaller and cut into phases. This is why Boston has a housing crisis.

www.bostonplans.org/documents/plann...ue-street-redevelopment-bcdc-presentation-201

Equilib -- I think the cut and phasing -- has something to do with the lack of ownership of the other industrial property where the rest of the original plan was to be executed --

Its kinda like having 4 potted plants that need to go on 2 window sills in your [2] and your neighbor's [2] apartment windows -- but the neighbor has yet to let you have the windows upon which to work

I don't think that this is an actual cut in what they want to build eventually

the nooks in this general area of Boston have always held my interest. that area off the NEC is one of those.

Anyone ever seen the trailer park on the Charles (in w.r.)??

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...9400862dc66018!8m2!3d42.2384918!4d-71.1299976

Wow, even called Boston trailer park haha. Had no idea this existed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/massachusetts/westroxbury/amp/1560171/photo-gallery-trailer-chic-at-the-boston-trailer-park

Equilib -- I think the cut and phasing -- has something to do with the lack of ownership of the other industrial property where the rest of the original plan was to be executed --

Its kinda like having 4 potted plants that need to go on 2 window sills in your [2] and your neighbor's [2] apartment windows -- but the neighbor has yet to let you have the windows upon which to work

I don't think that this is an actual cut in what they want to build eventually

Hmm Im not so sure. One slide says 247 units, then originally 398 units in red letters. Sounds like a drop of 151 units.

The W. Rox trailer park is a goddamn jewel of this city that demands to be marveled at.

The trailer park is slated to be replaced with a large apartment complex. I can't decide whether or not I favor the idea or want to push for historic landmark designation.

Back