Rebooting Britain: Tax people back into the cities

P

Patrick

http://www.wired.co.uk/wired-magazi...-britain-tax-people-back-into-the-cities.aspx

The majority of the world's population now lives in urban areas -- except for Britain. Some say that bucked trend must be reversed.

For the first time in history, more than half the world's population live in cities: by 2030, three out of five people will be city dwellers. But the British are bucking this trend. The 2001 census revealed an "exodus from the cities". Since 1981, Greater London and the six former metropolitan counties of Greater Manchester, Merseyside, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear, West Midlands and West Yorkshire have lost some 2.25 million people in net migration exchanges with the rest of the UK; in recent years this trend has accelerated.

This is not sustainable. British people need to be cured of the insidious fantasy of leaving the city and owning a house in the country: their romantic dream will become a nightmare for people elsewhere on the planet.

The fact is that rural households have higher carbon dioxide emissions per person than those in the city, thanks to their generally larger, detached or semi-detached houses, multiple cars and long commutes (cars are responsible for 12 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions in Europe - 50 per cent in some parts of the US). The regions with the biggest carbon footprints in the UK are not the metropolises of Glasgow or London, but the largely rural northeast of England, as well as Yorkshire and the Humber. In fact, the per capita emissions of the Big Smoke - London - are the lowest of any part of the UK.

To create a low-carbon economy we need to become a nation of city dwellers. We tax cigarettes to reflect the harm they do to our health: we need to tax lifestyles that are damaging the health of the planet - and that means targeting people who choose to live in the countryside. We need a Rural Living Tax. Agricultural workers and others whose jobs require them to live outside cities would be exempt. The revenue raised could be used to build new, well-planned cities and to radically upgrade the infrastructure of existing cities.

We have an opportunity to create an urban renaissance, to make cities attractive places to live again - not just for young adults, but for families and retired people, the groups most likely to leave the city. Turning our old cities into "smart cities" won't be easy or cheap, but in a recession this investment in infrastructure will boost the economy. We need to learn to love our cities again, because they will help us to save the planet.

P. D. Smith is an honorary research associate in the Science and Technology Studies Department at University College London and author of Doomsday Men: The Real Dr Strangelove and the Dream of the Superweapon (2008). He is writing a cultural history of cities. www.peterdsmith.com

Britain really has some of the most Orwellian ideas ever, such as a "carbon allowance," massive amounts of surveillance cameras, and now taxing people based on where they live

An oldish post on this very same subject. It may have disappeared in one of the forum crashes, or it may date back to SkyscraperGuy...

Being so old, you can imagine the problem this story describes has been around for a while...

This story is a bit more anecdotal and a tad less statistical than the main story above. Blame the Los Angeles Times.

00000.jpg

ENGLAND?S GREEN AND PLEASANT LAND

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

0000.jpg

000.jpg

I have added illustrations and comments in italics to the following Los Angeles Times story partly about a nation honing its taste for the twee?My apologies to the author; his article is in there?complete-- among my italicized barnacles.

00.jpg

01.jpg

True Love of Country in England

City dwellers are moving to villages in record numbers. Rural economies benefit, but some say at too high a cost to the locals.

By John Daniszewski

02.jpg
03.jpg

04.jpg
05.jpg

Four Views in Kingham (pop. 969)

KINGHAM, England ? When Chris Harvey walks out of his house, Wiggals Corner, and ambles around the streets of his adopted village, the retired postman and amateur cider-maker rarely gets too far.

That?s because Chris has to pass right by all the villagers? yardless front doors. The ones who want to chat can just step out and greet him:

06.jpg

It's a "hullo" there, and "a bit of a chat" here, and once again he is convinced that he was right to move to Kingham, which he calls "the friendliest village in England." When he left his London suburb 32 years ago, his father said he was daft to head for the sticks, an hour and a half from the capital; he should buy a nice suburban semi-detached instead.

07.jpg

A nice semi-detached, but not suburban.

What seemed crazy at the time has turned out to be a trend. Britain is now believed to be the only country in Europe that has a net migration out of, rather than into, its cities.

08.jpg

Good rail connections[!], the high price of city homes, a quest for a better life, and Britons' inbred love of the countryside are some of the explanations offered for the exodus. But it is a double-edged sword.

09.jpg

The English all squawk about the rail system, which in fact is superb; they should experience Amtrak.

Although the newcomers may bring a needed dollop of vitality to the countryside and in some cases create businesses and jobs, they also push up real estate prices for longtime residents.

As longtime resident of a neighborhood where newcomers pushed up real estate prices, I must express heartfelt thanks to those who did this for me --despite the recent crash-- and I?m sure my fellow oldtimers feel the same. I was able to refinance my house every few years for dizzying amounts and am made prosperous beyond my wildest dreams; my neighbor buys a new Corvette every now and then. I look forward to even more pushing up of real estate prices with grateful anticipation.

09a.jpg

Some villages have ceased to be real communities; rather, they have become picture-book places inhabited by people who commute elsewhere for work and don't take an active role in local life.

This is a somewhat difficult phenomenon to illustrate, since it doesn?t show up much in photos; buildings look about the same whether the occupant is a commuter or not. On those rare occasions when new suburban development is allowed in England, however, the difference is evident from the air. Here the road separates an old village (far right) with its idiosyncratic development pattern, from the newer suburb with its looped spaghetti street pattern and its ritualized lots, reminiscent of suburbs everywhere, with their uniform setbacks and standardized fitting of house to lot. This is a pretty benign example, but Suburbia nonetheless:

10.jpg

Meanwhile, farming, the original activity of the village, hardly figures at all in the employment picture today. Only 1.8% of Britons now farm, the lowest percentage in the nation's history. (Since the advent of tractors, fewer farmers are needed to work the land.) Small holdings increasingly are being bought up by the incoming urbanites and often are kept up merely to look pretty, or leased out to existing farm concerns. (Efficient agribusiness also doesn?t require lots of farmers.)

Britain?s return to rural tenant farming recreates feudal business patterns in which the squire rents out his land for agriculture. This pattern has been in relative abeyance for centuries and is now surging back. It?s pretty common in the U.S. too, but in the U.S. even more farms have reverted to second growth forest (scrub). This is the main reason England?s countryside looks so much prettier, with those sweeping vistas and wide-open spaces. (Rural Pennsylvania and parts of Maine are among the American exceptions that somewhat resemble England; in a few places you might even find a genuine village, though they?re now very rare in North America.)

11.jpg

Farmland with manor house.

12.jpg

Vast vistas.

13.jpg

A squire?s house.

14.jpg

A prosperous yeoman?s comfy cottage. Does the yeoman commute?

14a.jpg

This yeoman farms.

In Kingham, the bulldozer magnate Anthony Bamford has acquired much of the surrounding gentle hills and fields. For the last two years, his wife--(breaking ranks with those carpetbaggers who don?t get involved in local life)-- has added to the area's cachet with an eye-catching cafe and farm shop that sells prize-winning organic and gourmet foods, including artisan breads and cheeses, produce and sausages, mostly from the couple's own farms. (I?m sure the politely-amused oldtimers continue to shop where they always have.)

15.jpg

An establishment for yuppies.

It's so fancy that some locals have dubbed it the "Harrods of the Cotswolds." In their literature, the proprietors say they are particularly proud of the "dog parking" area fitted with watering bowls. Although the prices may be high for many locals, the shop draws a steady stream of connoisseurs and tourists, and their pounds sterling, to Kingham.

16.jpg

Pounds sterling are shipped principally on summer weekends in the pockets of (much too) brightly-colored clothing, and sometimes in shorts, which locals never wear. Pounds sterling are actually more attracted to towns than to villages.

This village of 700 (Kingham actually has 969, according to the census) people in Oxfordshire County, on the edge of England's famed Cotswolds region, has a history that dates at least to the Domesday Book of 1086. It was recently honored by Country Life magazine, the bible of the country set, as its favorite village in England, much to the amazement of some inhabitants.

17.jpg

A chocolate-box village.

"I'm a bit surprised, because it isn't a chocolate-box type of village," parish council Chairman Keith Hartley told reporters after the accolade. "It's more of a working village than a tourist village. But it's got a great all-round atmosphere."

18.jpg

A village is a very small but distinctly urban place surrounded by farmland (or, rarely, wilderness). It differs from Suburbia in that people walk. A frequent hallmark of a truly walkable small place is that there are no or few sidewalks. This is not an oversight or a hardship; you generally have the street to yourself when on foot. (Sure beats speed bumps.) This condition was noted and reproduced by the designers of Poundbury and Seaside, who are observers of the real rather than theoreticians of the abstract.

18a.jpg

18b.jpg

18bc.jpg

18c.jpg

18d.jpg

18e.jpg

18f.jpg

Unlike some villages that have lost all their indigenous life, Kingham still has a primary school, a small industrial area, a combined post office and shop, three pubs, a charming hotel built on the site of the town's medieval flour mill and a main-line railway station. Fairs and football on the village field are still part of the local scene.

19.jpg
20.jpg

A village school and (abandoned) industry (what a great house this would make for a yuppie).

21.jpg
22.jpg

Two village post office shops: Combe (left) and Evershot (right).

23.jpg
24.jpg

Village Inns with pubs: the drinkers arrive (and more importantly, leave on foot; the travelers arrive by car (find the car park access in both photos). If a drinker arrives by car and proposes to leave while tanked (the English word for this condition is ?pissed?), the publican can suggest a nice upstairs room for the night.

25.jpg

Football in the Stroud Valley.

According to the Countryside Agency, a governmental body set up to attend to the concerns of rural residents, 14.1 million people ? 28.5% of England's population ? live in rural districts. The rural population has grown by 13.7% in the last two decades, with a quarter of the new arrivals settling in the southwestern countryside, an area that has remained bucolic despite its relative proximity to London.

26.jpg

26a.jpg

26b.jpg

26c.jpg

26d.jpg

26e.jpg

26f.jpg
26g.jpg

26h.jpg

Bucolic: wouldn?t it be nice if we could preserve a little more of that in our own poor, battered, abused, and sprawl-afflicted land. On every visit I marvel at how much better preserved and more scenic Europe?s countryside is (and don?t forget the cities.). We are said to inhabit ?America the Beautiful?, but most of the beauty here has retreated to designated preserves; the National Parks are like ghettoes of beauty. And even these--as annual budget cuts begin to show effects-- grow increasingly threadbare.

The agency estimates that 115,000 people move to the country from urban areas each year. Since 2000, 352,000 more people have moved into England's rural areas than have left them; half of the migrants were between the ages of 25 and 44 ? in other words, the prime working years.

27.jpg

A migrant or just a tourist?

As novelist John Lanchester put it in a recent essay for the Guardian newspaper, an elegy for the less-spoiled countryside he remembers, "In other words, every year a city slightly bigger than Exeter disappears, and reappears wearing green wellies and complaining about the bypass. This has been going on for a decade and a half."

28.jpg

A person ?wearing green wellies? (rubber boots): a necessity in rural England?s moist climate.

At least you can walk in the British countryside without fear of being shot for trespass by an irate farmer. A system of country lanes allows you to hike (or even bike) from end to end of Britain without trespassing or using highways. Many take advantage of this fact to walk across fields, moors and downs as shortcuts from village to village.

Novelist Lanchester?s contention that the countryside was formerly less spoiled is technically somewhat true, but not by much; Britain?s virtual ban on rural development guarantees that. The novelist should visit the United States for a more dramatic view of what spoiling the countryside can mean.

The migrating ?city slightly bigger than Exeter? has actually depopulated the northern cities containing the legendary mills. Their population is moving to the economically greener pastures of London, while wealthy Londoners are drifting into the idyllic countryside.

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

It means that urbanites moving to the countryside find that their neighbors are an awful lot like them.

29.jpg

Local or transplanted urbanite? Does it really make much difference?

"If my own experience is anything to go by, your neighbors in the sticks are more likely to be thirty- and fortysomething graphic designers, IT consultants and, of course, journalists, than smock-wearing yokels," said Hester Lacey, writing in the Guardian about her experience moving to the country.

30.jpg

Possibly a yokel, but missing the smock.

Digression: There is currently a great wringing of hands in Boston over the de-yokelization (or actually de-Italianization) of the North End, which urbotourists prize for its gaggles of elderly male Sicilians. These stand or sit around on sidewalks and comment in two languages on the passing scene. Their fadeout is commonly regretted on forums by epicures of the urban, but perhaps for selfish reasons; how many grousing middle-class habitues of the new North End Starbuck?s have considered that a picturesque Sicilian flaneur might actually be
grateful to retire to Son-the-Doctor?s suburban McMansion and its limitless television reruns sampled in air-conditioned comfort?

I myself regret having missed seeing the Chinese in Mao costumes, Turks in fezzes (I missed this one by eons), cowpokes in six-guns, and tennis players in white slacks, and I will probably miss Peruvian women in bowler hats; but I did manage to catch the Combat Zone and the line-up of floozies on the rue St. Honore before they moved to the Internet. And like many New Yorkers, I miss the three-card monte in Times Square.

Picturesque humanity as part of the ambiance: I agree that generally I find people like myself boring?at least in gaggles on the sidewalk, though not so much in one-on-one conversation, for which I prefer the like-minded. On the sidewalk I favor groupings of rap singers, turbaned Sikhs, Orthodox Jews, even juvenile delinquents (at a distance) or (best of all) pretty girls-- but
someone obviously likes all those Starbucks; how else do you explain their proliferation and success?

It is, however, fairly hypocritical of us to bleed our hearts over the preservation of lifestyles not our own and a ?sense of community? we find hard to pin down. This is not, after all, the survival of species, and what do we really know about the merits of other ways of life?

Can we be so dead sure that ?yokel? who sold his leaky cottage to the London stockbroker for two cool million did the wrong thing for himself and his family? Maybe he and his wife can be found today by the pool in Acapulco, margarita in hand.

We rue the passing of this or that community, but isn?t there also a Starbucks community (unexotic) fading in to replace it? As we get prosperously post-Industrial, sooner or later everyone turns into a yuppie. Are we perhaps anthropologists? And if we were??

Ultimately, I think we just find
ourselves boring. Maybe we should start wearing fezzes.

30a.jpg

A local shopper pauses in a country town to enjoy a cup of tea. Or perhaps: A shopping tourist pauses in a country town to enjoy a latte.

30b.jpg

Could go either way on this crew, though locals generally don?t wear shorts. Still, the bicycle is kind of old-fashioned?

30c.jpg

Standing at the very edge of the town of Shaftesbury, a man and his son (grandson?) survey the country beyond the (now-vanished) town walls. Are they tourists? Or could they be locals? Does it matter?

Land-use rules imposed by planners since the late 1940s have suppressed suburban sprawl in Britain. One result is that truly rural landscapes beckon just beyond city limits. Much of the countryside remains postcard perfect: a pastiche of green fields and small woodlands, dotted by neat villages and church steeples, and unmarred by malls, billboards, fast-food eateries or other eyesores.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

"If my own experience is anything to go by, your neighbors in the sticks are more likely to be thirty- and fortysomething graphic designers, IT consultants and, of course, journalists, than smock-wearing yokels," said Hester Lacey, writing in the Guardian about her experience moving to the country.

According to the Countryside Agency, people say the country offers a better quality of life in a cleaner environment with less crime. Also, as mobility improves, more people are willing to live farther from work.

35.jpg

If you can afford it, why not?

Richard Wakeford, the agency's chief executive, is an example. He lives in Gloucestershire, 100 miles from London, and travels there three days a week. But with cellphones and broadband Internet access, he can stay on top of his job from almost any location, he says.

36.jpg

"This is the new paradigm," he said. "You don't need to be anywhere anymore. And that is the liberating factor."

37.jpg

38.jpg

In some areas, the arrival of city people bent on preservation is boosting the economy. There has been a revival in such trades as blacksmithing, thatching, dry stonewalling and woodworking: The "heritage building sector" has become a $4-billion-a-year industry, employing up to 500,000 people.

This turn of events was predicted decades ago by the prescient Leon Krier, who also knew that forecasting it was one way to help make it happen. (Best to prophesy those things that you would actually like to see transpire. An optimistic outlook generally helps improve the future.)

39.jpg
39a.jpg

A new stone wall takes form, reviving long dormant skills. Would you rather build a stone wall in the country or work on Ford?s assembly line for the same money? There is also renewed interest in the trade of thatching.

"Crafts no longer exist to service agriculture and the traditional rural community but, instead, the lifestyle needs of ? the new genus of country dweller," the agency said in a recent report.

40.jpg

A newly-built stone wall encloses a court to make a precinct for two houses. Are the occupants related? Could you imagine being able to do this under conventional American suburban zoning?

In addition, each self-employed migrant to rural areas creates an average of 2.4 jobs, said Aileen Stockdale, a professor of land economy at Aberdeen University who helped conduct a recent study on the subject for the Royal Geographical Society.

41.jpg

Down the hill, a quite newly-thatched roof or two. What do you bet some of the more beat-up tile roofs shortly follow suit, now that the cost of thatching is headed down?

Too often, she said in a telephone interview, the influx of city types is perceived in negative terms. But her research showed that many people who made the move were shifting to self-employment and launching new businesses. They present the potential for rural economic regeneration, she said.

42.jpg

Thatched roofs of varied vintage enhance rural cottages and probably yield a handsome return at resale time. A ?cottage? in rural England is often a rowhouse.

?Community? and a little urbanity surrounded by countryside: isn?t that what we say we hope to get in the suburbs? So we make up zoning laws to bring it to us as surely as gasoline puts out fires.

In fact, it is something of a myth that all the migrants are commuting into the cities. "The vast majority" finds work within 12 to 15 miles of where they settle, she said.

43.jpg
44.jpg

Some seriously small residences. Have they heard of mandated minimum square footages?

Another professor, Anne Power of the London School of Economics, sounded an alarm this month that the rising migration from urban areas was disturbing the social balance, and urged the government to take steps to discourage it and regenerate cities. (Agree about regenerating cities; not sure about discouraging migration.)

45.jpg

A place where some forms of social balance are restored daily.

Urban "depopulation leads to depleted services, empty property, a growing sense of abandonment, decay and population polarization, with the poorer left behind," the professor of social policy told the BBC.

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

In Kingham, some people do commute to London ? the 7:25 a.m. train gets to Paddington Station before 9. But others work in and around Oxford, the growing college town, which is half an hour away.

46.jpg

Simon Merton, a real estate agent in Moreton-in-Marsh, about 20 minutes from here, said the factors driving sales in Kingham were good schools and "the desire to get out of London."

47.jpg

"What starts as leaving London and renting a cottage for weekends becomes buying a house in the Cotswolds and selling out in London," he said.

48.jpg
48a.jpg

One person who made the move in recent years is Derek Thomas, 64, a retired aerospace engineer who sold his suburban London house at a profit and bought a light-filled converted stable in Kingham. He joined the walkers club, and his wife signed up for the Women's Institute service organization nearby.

53.jpg

53a.jpg

"My wife never stops telling me how much she enjoys it," he said of their new home. "Here you can look up and see the Milky Way. It's so beautiful at night."

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

58a.jpg

59.jpg

Sometimes people find that country life falls short of expectations.

60.jpg

"A lot of people in England have an idealized picture of rural idyll and living in a thatched cottage surrounded by rose bushes without actually seeing the wider picture of being perhaps isolated from services," said Nigel Ellway, a spokesman for the Countryside Agency. "A number of journalists ask me if I have figures about the number who move back later after being disillusioned. The answer is, I don't know."

61.jpg

Wakeford, the agency's chief executive, said one ongoing concern was how to keep the countryside affordable for those who grew up or worked in rural areas.

62.jpg

In the Yorkshire Dales, a particularly beautiful part of England that has become a favorite destination for migrants, the area National Park Authority is considering a plan to mandate that all newly built housing be sold only to people who are local or take local jobs. With even small cottages now selling for more than $300,000, the aim is to prevent the area from becoming unaffordable to all but wealthy Londoners.

63.jpg

63a.jpg

If the plan succeeds, other districts are likely to follow suit.

64.jpg

Kingham's novel response to the problem was to build 13 "dual-equity" houses in the village's traditional honey-colored limestone. People linked to the town, such as children of residents, could live in them and become part-owners at a reduced cost; the rest of the ownership would stay with the governing local council.

65.jpg

The construction quality of yore is?amazingly?matched. All that?s missing is 400 years of grime. That will come, because these houses will last that long.

66.jpg

67.jpg

67a.jpg

67b.jpg

68.jpg

68a.jpg

69.jpg

John Parslow, owner of the Mill House Hotel, was a courier company executive before he decided to retire and buy the ultra-comfy hotel 10 years ago.

70.jpg

A comfy hotel.

The business has had its ups and downs, he said, sitting in front of a roaring fire in the bar area. But he enthused over the pleasant aspects of country life ? knowing the neighbors, the scenery and walks, the celebrations on the village green and the peacefulness.

70a.jpg

Another comfy hotel.

Harvey, too, has an almost infectious enthusiasm for Kingham. Whether pointing out the tomb of a Norman knight in the 14th century church, the wooden beams of the parish hall or the embroidered banner carried in 19th century marches, the retired postman is an unabashed salesman for the rural way of life.

VILLAGES IN CONTEXT:

73.jpg

A Cotswolds village.

74u.jpg

Bere Regis.

74v.jpg

Abbotsbury.

74w.jpg

A very large village (or maybe really a small town): Bridport.

Two longtime residents, Derek Tyack, 67, and Frank Palmer, 78, welcome the village's more recent economic renaissance. But they also sound a little wistful about the past.

Before the carpetbaggers started buying homes, they came as tourists to gawk at the pcturesque scenes that included buildings, countryside and the locals. There were also a few bona fide tourist attractions. What would otherwise be the sleepy village of Cerne Abbas is overrun with tourists come to see The Giant:

74x.jpg

Cerne Abbas.

The Giant adorns a hillside just outside the village. He?s evidence of how long people have lived hereabouts if you believe those who say he?s neolithic.

74y.jpg

The Giant of Cerne Abbas.

Others think he?s a Seventeenth Century hoax; that?s when he was first mentioned in print.

74z.jpg

He seems real enough to those who come to him to have their shortcomings mended:

75.jpg

You can imagine what the gift shops sell.

STREETSCAPE OF LARGE VILLAGES/SMALL TOWNS:

CERNE ABBAS: Three street scenes, the last featuring some medieval cottages.

75a.jpg

75b.jpg

75c.jpg

CORFE:

An especially picturesque village:

76.jpg

Tourists come here to climb to the ruined castle:

77.jpg

Corfe really is somewhere between a large village and a small town. Most buildings touch throughout, and there is more commerce than just the usual village pub(s):

78.jpg

79.jpg

Abbottsbury has the population of a village (480) but something of the built-up look of a town.

80.jpg

You could say the same of Puncknowle (pop. 451; 1891 pop. 427).

80a.jpg

Evershot.

80b.jpg

Lyme Regis.

81.jpg

Shaftesbury, a market town with lots of commerce (pop. 6209).

82.jpg

New houses in the town of Dorchester (pop. 16,171).

82a.jpg

Dorchester.

82b.jpg

Dorchester.

82c.jpg

Lyme Regis.

83.jpg

The town of Sherborne boasts three-story buildings, but the countryside is still?just over there.

84.jpg

A house in Sherborne that Sir Walter Raleigh might have known.

88.jpg

Christchurch: an attractive town.

89.jpg

Christchurch: Eighteenth Century New York must have resembled this.

90.jpg

Christchurch: somebody let in a little modernism. Could be worse, but it does introduce a certain machine order. Mass production in a run of three. Were they looking to save on architectural fees? Or is it just that modernist architects are
required to think this way?

91.jpg

Poole: an even more attractive town.

92.jpg

Poole.

93.jpg

Elsewhere in Poole, someone dropped the ball pretty badly. Not hard to see why regular folks hate modern architecture.

94.jpg

Nicely detailed, but who cares? London has now come to Poole. It?ll never be the same; a single out-of-scale building can do that, and it has nothing to do with height.

Because much of England?s countryside is so much more effectively protected than poor Poole, it is still an environment fit for a king, and indeed the future king works hard to keep it unspoiled, which to him (and maybe if we?re willing to set aside our theories, to us) means no modernist architecture.

Here he is: the arch-villain in person, the man you love to hate:

99.jpg

Not only does this shameless blackguard admire picturesque old towns (I guess we all do
that), but he actually has the brass to claim that you can still build like that today. Now!! In the twenty-first century!!!

Brazenly scorning the iron handcuffs of history?haughtily discounting the teutonic teachings of the sages of zeitgeist-- this benighted sleazeball actually proposes that we build faithful little replicas of English villages and towns?for all the world as though they had never fallen out of fashion. But worse than that?outrage!-- he has the pompous insolence to claim that people could actually enjoy
living in these tawdry hotbeds of kitsch!

But wait, there?s more: he then actually
builds one of these things against the advice of all the land?s experts and professionals! Builds it, mind you--doesn?t rest content with theorizing-- actually builds it!

And then he has the effrontery to preside over its financial success, populating it with the undeserving middle class. And finally ?-airtight evidence of moral terpitude?this unscrupulous manipulator makes a handsome profit off the whole sorry business!

Somebody ought to pass a law against this kind of royal insolence. Oh?somebody already has?thank God for the impartial perspicacity of the great (Lord) Norman Foster. Reason triumphs.

But wait, there?s even more: the moral decay extends all the way to this forum and specifically to where the slimy poster has actually smuggled into this post photographs of Poundbury, somewhat secure in the belief that most readers won?t detect them on their first pass.

The architects and planners of Britain are, naturally, spearheading a movement to prevent this kind of thing in the future. This will doubtless be applauded by all true believers, ideologues, historical determinists and zeitgeist mavens on this forum. Those who believe history is, like a tsunami, an irresistible force indifferent to the influence of human will are working hard to keep this from becoming a trend, for this would not fit their learned theories (until they looked back upon it years from now, of course; then it would seem obvious and inevitable).

In fact the only ones who don?t hate Poundbury are the fools who actually live there, most of those who have visited and those who haven?t had their wisdom handed down from the intellectual press, planners and architects. In truth, many unsophisticates actually don?t notice Poundbury, so closely does it resemble the rest of the sleepy town of Dorchester (except a little cleaner). If you are among those who can?t positively identify the Poundbury pics in this post, you know exactly what this means.

For the real connoisseurs of kitsch, I have also sneaked in a picture or two of Portmeirion, a genuine counterfeit (this was actually a hotel masquerading as a town). In its dedication to craftsmanship, proportion and what its creator called ?beauty? this was in some ways a spiritual forerunner of Poundbury; but here too the developer was aristocratic, and therefore of course his work deserves a priori condemnation. Inexplicably, Frank Lloyd Wright liked it; here he is with Portmeirion's creator, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis:

99a.jpg

Meanwhile, the slimy Prince plans to inflict further outrages upon the proponents of Modernism and zeitgeist theory, who will never be satisfied with anything less than total domination of all that is built (except perhaps for the genuinely awful subdivisions that here and there make their appearance but are too mousy to even take note of, much less hate. Wonder who designs these? Can it be architects?).

Even worse is what he must intend for his future subjects: this is all clearly just a Trojan horse for a wider scheme to thrust us back into the Middle Ages. Along with Poundbury, he no doubt plans to reintroduce serfdom, les droits du seigneur and cockfighting, at the very least.

Back to the LA Times:

Both [residents of Kingham] are former employees at the local agricultural machinery works that went bust in the 1980s. Palmer has turned to oil painting for income, while Tyack sells firewood and carves wooden sculptures on the side.

99ab.jpg

"When you are going back, life was quite a bit different," Palmer said. "People then never went out of the village, never even for a holiday. You played about on the village green, and later on, that magic morning arrived when you had children of your own and they played on the green too.

99ac.jpg

99ad.jpg

"Now, there are newer houses, incoming people, people on the move all the time?. Now you could say there are village people, and town people living in the village. It's a different style, not quite us and them, but a little bit of that."

99b.jpg

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

99c.jpg

BITS AND PIECES

Both the architectural and planning profession are saturated with received wisdom (received folly?). Here?s something you can expect to hear: ?Yeah, but they built all that stuff in the past, when that was how they did things.? Do you see the historical determinism? Implicitly, you have to add in your mind: ?And of course you can?t do that now.?

100.jpg

Can you imagine getting this past today?s wetlands regulations?

Really? Why not? Because the greybeards said so? Inculcated us with avant-gardism while we thought we were free-thinkers?

101.jpg

Or this one? Good thing it was done hundreds of years ago; they?d make you take it down if you tried doing it today.

The other side of the coin is: ?Yeah, but they had thousands of years to screw things up, while we?ve only had hundreds. How come we?ve screwed up America so much worse??

105.jpg

Population density: UK, 639 per square mile; US, 81 per square mile. Can you tell by the relative condition of the countryside?

106.jpg

107.jpg

BLAKE?S POEM:

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

108.jpg

As mentioned, I smuggled in a couple of Poundbury pictures to see if you would catch them. Hint: they?re the ones that look freshly built. In about fifty years they will be nice and dirty (or weathered) like the older buildings. Otherwise, they?re indistinguishable. They?re not really replicas, any more than a Dorchester house of 1820 is a replica of one built in 1620, just because they?re hard to tell apart.

It?s just continuation of a tradition. Rudely interrupted perhaps for a few decades, but who can account for human folly?

*Yawn*

Makes me long for a couple of nice pictures of sprawl. Ok, here they are:

110.jpg

111.jpg

Back to reality. Oh? we never left it.

Just a different reality.

Different and better.

109.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome post, ablarc. Always a pleasure to read. I think I'll have to go back to truly appreciate some of your comments, but I take it you don't appreciate this "tax the country" business.

I want to know how these villages, that work as very efficient social machines (perhaps to the dismay of the Modernists,) can be adapted for today's lifestyle. Poundbury and Seaside are all nice and good, but can they really accommodate the majority of Americans who demand big yards and big garages? Is it possible that it's not the planners, so much as the people, who are misguided? I guess, that since the people have been ingrained with these idyllic suburban ideas by the planners, it is really their fault. But can the people be changed? Or will we just have to wait a few generations, while the planners preach the benefits of village/town/city living?

Finally, what on Earth do you have against yuppies? Every time you point out something "yuppie" I always find myself thinking, "oh, wouldn't that be nice." I feel like you're calling me out for wanting to live in a more satisfying place than my suburban McMansion village. I guess yuppies are the ones who move someplace for it's purely aesthetic reasons, and bring with them all the kitschy city junk? My, you must really have a thing against hipsters.

^ Hipsters become yuppies when they grow up, right?

ablarc, thanks for reposting that. One of your classics.

Speaking of which, if your are still in the mood to dig up old photo essays do you think you could rehost this one? I was going to refer to it in another thread and was sad to see it missing. TIA

I'm really happy to see the long ablarc photoessay make a comeback.

Somewhat on topic: the war on sprawl is pretty much won. Who the hell thinks to advocate for it anymore? People like Kunstler are now either railing against paper tigers or moving on to other things ("peak oil"). In Britain it was never really even an issue to begin with.

The real issue there now is that so many Britons are closeted away in Thomas Kinkade fantasy villages, like the ones shown above, while the problems of their cities go unmet. Just because segregation can be sustainable (and so pretty!) doesn't mean it's a good idea, socially or culturally.

good point on britain czsz.
on sprawl though - people may not advocate for it directly, but they do when they support zoning and environmental regulation that displaces development to fringe locations, when they demand low gas prices and cheap and plentiful parking, and when federal housing policy is biased towards (irresponsibly) subsidizing homeownership over creating better and more rental housing options.

good point on britain czsz.
on sprawl though - people may not advocate for it directly, but they do when they support zoning and environmental regulation that displaces development to fringe locations, when they demand low gas prices and cheap and plentiful parking, and when federal housing policy is biased towards (irresponsibly) subsidizing homeownership over creating better and more rental housing options.
Bingo!

Yeah, that's a good point. The problem is that anti-sprawl advocacy now has a much more complex and challenging mandate: it has to move away from posting pictures of cul-du-sacs and strip malls and screaming "a pox on your tract house!" (see, e.g., Kunstler) and instead find a way to get through to people that those policies are creating landscapes that people mutually abhor...and that's a much taller order with loads of political pitfalls, since people value many of those things individually for different reasons (and many can point out how, individually, they don't necessarily contribute to sprawl).

Incidentally, the NY Times' just-released "best ideas of 2009" mention that Virginia is tying services like road maintenance and snowplowing to the creation of developments with through-streets, effectively placing major hurdles in the way of new cul-du-sac development.

Great thread on my home country!.

As i'm British though, it is my duty to inject a note of pessimism, so I have to point out that the villages depicted are some of the best examples in the country which the majority of people have been priced out of. The average UK home looks more like this (the ubiquitous post-war 3 bed semi):

6a00e00992458488330120a4d258da970b-800wi

WBB090236_01.jpeg

(pebbledash! - o.k this ones actually in Ireland but it could be anywhere in the North, Scotland or N.I)

TjW3sIE7XBkw2Kf1I__GIqfp9rMonx2_JuJ5EgGuV6RtPXBpZSZsPTYwMA==.jpg

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be striving for the best model on both sides of the Atlantic though.

As an aside, I did grow up in a village like the ones depicted. There are now very few local people living there, the average resident is an ex-stockbroker. Since these types moved in ducks have been banned from the duck pond (meaning it is now a foul smelling algae ridden swamp) and the church bells have been forbidden from ringing. Seems they want their peace and quiet.

kennedy said:
Finally, what on Earth do you have against yuppies?
There are now very few local people living there, the average resident is an ex-stockbroker. Since these types moved in ducks have been banned from the duck pond (meaning it is now a foul smelling algae ridden swamp) and the church bells have been forbidden from ringing. Seems they want their peace and quiet.

Yeah, that's a good point. The problem is that anti-sprawl advocacy now has a much more complex and challenging mandate: it has to move away from posting pictures of cul-du-sacs and strip malls and screaming "a pox on your tract house!" (see, e.g., Kunstler) and instead find a way to get through to people that those policies are creating landscapes that people mutually abhor...and that's a much taller order with loads of political pitfalls, since people value many of those things individually for different reasons (and many can point out how, individually, they don't necessarily contribute to sprawl).

Incidentally, the NY Times' just-released "best ideas of 2009" mention that Virginia is tying services like road maintenance and snowplowing to the creation of developments with through-streets, effectively placing major hurdles in the way of new cul-du-sac development.

it is common in Maine to have neighborhood fees similar to condo association or common area maintenance fees for sul de sac developments, because towns won't plow. If anywhere, it seems like in Maine this would be the biggest incentive to create through streets. But it generally has not worked, and little ugly subdivision developments are all over. Maybe it will work more in a place like VA, with more population (i.e. maybe there are just so few developments up here in Maine that the results are not representative of how the project might actually work). I don't know. Sounds good but I think its basically a tax, and if the demand for suburban cul de sac living (with no through traffic) is not elastic, which seems plausible, then the tax may have to be significantly more than just denying plowing to get any results in the built environment. if you tax jelly people will switch to jam. but if you tax cigarettes people don't switch to chewing gum. I think cul de sac subdivisions are similar to the latter example.

What does the author want? Highland Clearance Part 2? My dead ancestors would vote for a Stockbroker Clearance of the Home Counties.

p.s. Patrick, I am watching SpongeBob as I type. Do you take your name from the co-star?

I take it you don't appreciate this "tax the country" business.
Oh, I dunno; the rich can afford to pay for their pleasure. And if they can?t, they?re not really rich, and should move back to the city. Brixton, perhaps.

I want to know how these villages, that work as very efficient social machines (perhaps to the dismay of the Modernists,) can be adapted for today's lifestyle.
Well, you can exterminate the ducks and muffle the bells.

Otherwise, what?s to adapt? The folks who shelled out a few million for a country cottage obviously like these places mostly the way they are (wouldn?t you?), and the "yokels" whose house they moved into used a portion of those same funds for a little condo right on the beach in Benidorm. It has air conditioning, a place for the car, an elevator, balcony and an English-speaking bridge club. Suum cuique.

Poundbury and Seaside are all nice and good, but can they really accommodate the majority of Americans who demand big yards and big garages?
No, but they can accommodate the minority who don?t. The reason there aren?t more such places is that getting variances from the planners is a multi-year uphill battle for the developer --as arduous as Columbus Center ;). Much easier and safer to go on building the thrice-familiar within the zoning as-of-right.

Is it possible that it's not the planners, so much as the people, who are misguided? I guess, that since the people have been ingrained with these idyllic suburban ideas by the planners, it is really their fault. But can the people be changed?
Both groups are at fault. Humphrey demonstrates above that British zoning laws are as infected with suburban DNA as our own. How much delight can you take, anyway, in these market-researched and prototypical units? Wouldn't you rather own a cottage in a village? Walk to the pub, catch a train into town, build a wall 'round your courtyard. The millionaire yuppies are voting with their money.

And yet ... and yet ... if the Seaside paradigm were legal, it'd be a whole lot more common --until it finally saturated the market. Houses in Seaside presently go for a bundle. Supply and demand.

Or will we just have to wait a few generations, while the planners preach the benefits of village/town/city living?
The planners are preaching THAT? Not the planners I know. The planner in charge of my project in Sunbelt Suburbia had never heard of Leon Krier.

I think kennedy was referring to big names in the planning world as opposed to petty local bureaucrats. The overwhelmingly antisprawl consensus in the intelligentsia hasn't trickled down in the form of codes and policies that small-minded people can latch on to. One can't expect them to revolutionize decades of received wisdom by themselves.

On another note: what the hell did the stockbrokers have against ducks?

To be fair ducks can be obnoxiously loud.

That said, they were there first and they actually preform a public service, which is more than can be said for ex-stockbrokers.

Back