Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

The only parking garage in the city even remotely worth keeping is the Motor Mart in Park Square. And that one is going. Why this is even being considered for preservation is beyond my comprehension.

It’s like Cambridge running everything over 50 years old through the Historical Commission. It has been jokingly noted that MIT has propensity for tearing things down before they hit that threshold.

Is that one story parking garage on Ipswich between the Conservatory building and the High School still there? It's prime real estate, can't be long for this world. Maybe it's already gone, I haven't been down in that area for several months.

I think they may have been shared before, but I love these renderings of the area. Still think it's weird they left out Scape's Boylston project in the second one given that they have their Beacon project included. 109 Brookline and the Kenmore North projects aren't in there either. The area will be truly unrecognizable if all of these projects come to fruition.

Before and After_Page_1.jpg
Before and After_Page_2.jpg

From page 21, they lowered the tallest building from 300' to 265'. How come the first change to all of these major projects lately is for the tallest building to get cut?

1644254920941.png

From page 21, they lowered the tallest building from 300' to 265'. How come the first change to all of these major projects lately is for the tallest building to get cut?

View attachment 21165

My cynical guess is that they planned for 265ft from the beginning, but made a show of lowering it to prove that they are "listening".

Page 82 shows a building replacing the Shell on Boylston. What is that project?

My cynical guess is that they planned for 265ft from the beginning, but made a show of lowering it to prove that they are "listening".

I was going to say the exact same thing. It would be absolutely crazy to propose any building around here more than 10 floors tall using the actual number of floors intended in the proposal. Proposing a building 10-15% taller then what you actually intend to build seems like the norm around here. It's all a ballgame.

Harvard has the issue of a blank slate - it's much more difficult to create a sense of place out of nothing than to forge something amongst dozens of neighbors that have defined the neighborhood for decades, and allowed for the architects to incorporate and twist those characteristics into the new development. Harvard obviously has a financial interest in Allston's real estate, and have proven an appreciation for capital-A Architecture, but they're their biggest enemy by having a master developer for the entire neighborhood all essentially at once, rather than here, where a more authentic evolution of the neighborhood has occurred.

Not saying Harvard is off the hook, but it's not entirely the same design approach that would yield a similar result. At the very least, it would feel extremely forced and inauthentic if this design was located in Harvard's Allston campus, but here, it makes sense, because it's what's been here.

Harvard has the issue of a blank slate - it's much more difficult to create a sense of place out of nothing than to forge something amongst dozens of neighbors that have defined the neighborhood for decades, and allowed for the architects to incorporate and twist those characteristics into the new development. Harvard obviously has a financial interest in Allston's real estate, and have proven an appreciation for capital-A Architecture, but they're their biggest enemy by having a master developer for the entire neighborhood all essentially at once, rather than here, where a more authentic evolution of the neighborhood has occurred.

Not saying Harvard is off the hook, but it's not entirely the same design approach that would yield a similar result. At the very least, it would feel extremely forced and inauthentic if this design was located in Harvard's Allston campus, but here, it makes sense, because it's what's been here.

Harvard would have something like this if they'd chosen WS Development instead of Tishman Speyer. This project is very much in-line with WS's more recent Seaport work (Parcels N and P, SeaPAC, etc).

Not that context doesn't matter. 109 Brookline and The Beacon were both forced to conform to the neighborhood (the latter more than the former), and I doubt the Red Sox wanted nonsense on the other side of Jersey and Lansdowne. Look at that Lansdowne rendering in particular - the Red Sox probably pushed (and will pay) for that beautiful brick facade.

Speaking of which... that Lansdowne building is tall enough that it's going to get hit with baseballs from time to time (the ones that currently land on the parking deck). I hope they use strong glass.

Harvard would have something like this if they'd chosen WS Development instead of Tishman Speyer. This project is very much in-line with WS's more recent Seaport work (Parcels N and P, SeaPAC, etc).

Not that context doesn't matter. 109 Brookline and The Beacon were both forced to conform to the neighborhood (the latter more than the former), and I doubt the Red Sox wanted nonsense on the other side of Jersey and Lansdowne. Look at that Lansdowne rendering in particular - the Red Sox probably pushed (and will pay) for that beautiful brick facade.

Speaking of which... that Lansdowne building is tall enough that it's going to get hit with baseballs from time to time (the ones that currently land on the parking deck). I hope they use strong glass.
To be cute; "that's a shot, it looks like it's going to hit the moon, way back to left, way back, that's outta here and going to smash a window... Better call Anderson Window, because for every window smashed, Anderson will donate $1000 to the Jimmy Fund.".

Back to the Fenway Corners. The Development around the area makes one think that FSG will eventually ad more seating capacity inside the ballpark.

Alas, the Ipswich Street Garage is still standing…for now. I’m thinking a nice lawn with a big screen for movie night and performances. I mean, you are right next to the BAA.

Back