Hotel Project (Current Shell Station) | 1241 Boylston St | Fenway

JumboBuc

Reaction score
Eight story 184-room hotel with a ground-level independent restaurant. 82 off-street parking spaces located on one below-grade level. Maximum height of ninety (90) feet.

W6OigODh.jpg

BPDA
Letter of Intent (pdf)
Boston Business Journal
Bldup
Earlier aB discussion

If the facade remains that high of quality, then this will be fantastic. Really like it. Looks like terracotta panels.

I like it too. Probably should have at least 2, 3, or 4 more floors, though..... Bldg Dept should have pushed it a bit higher.

It will be great to see the gas station replaced. But gas pumps are sorta very underrated (too).

Looks pretty solid to me. I know I will have to pour myself a shot for asking, but why not taller, more in line with the other buildings on Boylston - 10-15 stories?

^ See "Earlier aB discussion" link above.

This site is zoned for ninety feet, stepping up from the older 5-6 story apartment blocks that abut this site on the NE to the taller new stuff to the W along on Boylston.

As we've discussed with respect to everything else going up in this neighborhood, Fenway zoning is very well thought out and sensible, probably the best-designed zoning in Greater Boston. This project fits well within it.

Looks great, I'm eagerly anticipating this project. I like how the render includes the updated Boston Arts Academy - they work well off each other IMO.

I'm all in favor of construction, especially of hotels, but I am getting concerned about the loss of gas stations in the City. If this gas station closes, there will only be one left in the Fenway. The City needs to consider the needs of car owners too.

I'm all in favor of construction, especially of hotels, but I am getting concerned about the loss of gas stations in the City. If this gas station closes, there will only be one left in the Fenway. The City needs to consider the needs of car owners too.

Many automakers (especially in Europe) have agreed to discontinue production/design of gasoline-fueled cars in the next 7 to 10 years. It's become pretty clear that a generation from now electric vehicles will be the mainstream option/choice for vehicle commuters. To that end, the Fenway is one of the more progressive, forward-thinking neighborhoods.

No. Gas stations are not needed in dense, urban areas. Take a look at Manhattan for example... there is only one (one!) gas station below 14th street. Yet hundreds of thousands of people work and live in that same area without any issues.

Regardless of the above, if you're so concenred about gas stations, why don't you take a quick look at google maps. God forbid anyone has to drive an extra half mile to fill up!!!

The white box on the roof ruins an otherwise decent design.

Damn it, my favorite cut through when I don't want to wait for the light to turn green.

I'll take anything that turns a gas station into more housing / hotel space, and this isn't bad to look at.

I'll take anything that turns a gas station into more housing / hotel space, and this isn't bad to look at.

Yah I have to agree. Although if I had to guess that one gas station left on Boyleton will stay for a while (cause it'll be more profitable with no competition).

Yah I have to agree. Although if I had to guess that one gas station left on Boyleton will stay for a while (cause it'll be more profitable with no competition).

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but I doubt that gas station will last much longer. Gasoline margins are razor-thin... even with slightly less competition it would take them a LONG time to generate the eight figure payday they could get by selling the lot instead.

Last edited:
Many automakers (especially in Europe) have agreed to discontinue production/design of gasoline-fueled cars in the next 7 to 10 years. It's become pretty clear that a generation from now electric vehicles will be the mainstream option/choice for vehicle commuters. To that end, the Fenway is one of the more progressive, forward-thinking neighborhoods.

While I understand your position, I have only seen one European automaker - Volvo - make that statement. And Volvo is a niche player at best (535K cars sold annually vs. 10M each by the big 3 of Toyota, GM & Volkswagon). That's not to say that auto companies are not investing heavily in electric, they are, but your "progressive" thinking is a bit off. Electric auto technology predates that of the combustible engine and has been around since the mid-1800's. In other words, big oil still controls the marketplace or else the transition would have already occurred. This is not to say that the transition will not occur, however, realistically it is more likely to occur over a 20-40 year span. In other words, the need for gas stations is not going away anything soon.

As far as the building goes, A+ for adding more hotel rooms, but like others I'd prefer it to be a bit bigger on this stretch.

Should be taller, should have less parking, still a great addition that will keep building a streetwall. 3 gas stations down, one to go.

3 gas stations down, one to go.

4 gas stations down, one to go

(1: This future hotel site. 2: Tasty Burger. 3: Eastern half of Van Ness site, 4: former Gulf across from the Pierce)

Crazy that this stretch had 5 gas stations just about 10 years ago.

Should be taller, should have less parking, still a great addition that will keep building a streetwall. 3 gas stations down, one to go.

I mean for 81 nights (or days) a year, plus 10 or so concerts and any playoff game, parking is 50 bucks plus in that area. Adding parking is not unreasonable. I believe that this gas station closes during sox games and is used as a parking lot.

I wonder though if the Tasty Burger site will ever be redeveloped. Tasty Burger could easily move to the retail space at one of these new developments.

I mean for 81 nights (or days) a year, plus 10 or so concerts and any playoff game, parking is 50 bucks plus in that area. Adding parking is not unreasonable. I believe that this gas station closes during sox games and is used as a parking lot.

The problem is that in a perfect world zero people would drive to Fenway. There is demand for parking, but it's honestly not helping the neighborhood.

Back