Hotel Project (Current Shell Station) | 1241 Boylston St | Fenway

That which was once brown is brown again:

1582211150064.png

That which was once brown is brown again:

Plenty of those updated renders show a grey / slate facade. I'm not so sure this will end up brown.

Also, gotta love the "Fenway Garden Hotel" signage in the renders. I wonder what hotel chain they're aiming for?

Parking and gas stations! Is this an actual discussion?

Plenty of those updated renders show a grey / slate facade. I'm not so sure this will end up brown.

Also, gotta love the "Fenway Garden Hotel" signage in the renders. I wonder what hotel chain they're aiming for?

I have it on good account that it will not be a Hilton Garden Inn. They are going to do Hilton's new "Tempo" brand, whatever the hell that is

Well, they seem to be creeping back up there anyway.:(

Wait until most of the gas stations are gone, then you'll really see gas prices go through the roof.

That ship sailed. Gas stations in Boston's core are MUCH more expensive than those outside it. Even Porter Square is like $0.15-0.25 cheaper than any of the stations on Mass Ave or in the Fenway.

Not surprising given the pandemic. I assume they will try to build a lab, unless they’re prepared to wait out the next downturn.

I know there is probably very little financing available for hotel projects right now but there can't be more than 300-400 hotel rooms currently under construction in the entire city of Boston. Expect Boston to once again be among the most expensive cities in the US for hotels once (or if) travel returns to pre-pandemic levels. It seems like nearly every major recent development that had a hotel component has scrapped it.

Not surprising given the pandemic. I assume they will try to build a lab, unless they’re prepared to wait out the next downturn.
Would I want to be a developer trying to build something in a Wu Administration? Having to deal with a mayor who constantly works for the neighborhood association groups that stand in the way of anything fun, who wants that? She is an unabashed NIMBY. I’m not saying that she wanted this project secretly killed so that she can appeal to her NIMBY base (which is about 95% of registered Boston voters).

But more so to the point at hand, there probably isn’t a pressing need for another hotel on the Fens. I would be okay going back to the drawing board. The Fens can do better.

Anyone driving a gas guzzling car in 5 years will deserve the prices they get.

I don't think that's true at all. There are a lot of people buying used cars because it's what they can afford and they're stuck with whatever was on the road years prior. Even if the new car market moves strongly toward fuel efficiency the used car market will be stuck with a ton of SUV and pickups for a long time.

Would I want to be a developer trying to build something in a Wu Administration? Having to deal with a mayor who constantly works for the neighborhood association groups that stand in the way of anything fun, who wants that? She is an unabashed NIMBY. I’m not saying that she wanted this project secretly killed so that she can appeal to her NIMBY base (which is about 95% of registered Boston voters).

This is some nutso stuff.

This was dead before Wu was elected.. This is just making it to the public now...

I know there is probably very little financing available for hotel projects right now but there can't be more than 300-400 hotel rooms currently under construction in the entire city of Boston. Expect Boston to once again be among the most expensive cities in the US for hotels once (or if) travel returns to pre-pandemic levels. It seems like nearly every major recent development that had a hotel component has scrapped it.
Already is incredibly expensive. I signed a 550 per night hotel expense report a couple weeks back for someone on my team --- in the middle of summer --- at a midrange hotel. Insane there's no financing.

Back