Renovations / Conversions

^^ Doesn't mean it can't be fixed.
Though I kinda like weather-worn look.

In small doses.

Poor thing. Went to sleep in silk pyjamas, feeling fine. Woke up in a pool of sweat, crushed between Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne Barr.
Time for a mercy killing. Grave rob the High St. body parts and sew them over those stupid Essex St. Archstone gaps.
Poor old boy. I could cry.

101 Clarendone Street (old Hard Rock Cafe) is in for some major renovation. I walk by this building weekly, but this is the first time I have noticed any action. They had a large crew working on Sunday (inside and out). Looks like they are converting it to Class "A" Office space. Sign in the windows, on the north side of the building, shouts "Space Available!"..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beelinebos/6789292214/in/photostream

101 Clarendone Street (old Hard Rock Cafe) is in for some major renovation.

I've noticed that too BL. Does anyone know why it was allowed to sit vacant for so long? Was it owned by the Columbus Center development team?

Brookline Bank bought the building, is putting a branch in. Don't know what will happen with the rest of it.

I put up a photo of this awhile back but was walking down Boylston Street today and realized how annoyed I was that this building (to the left) is allowed to stay un-renovated. In the middle of Back Bay! Obv., they could renovate it to match the one to the right.

The owner of the building (I believe) is the family that owns The Tannery. They obviously have money - they own the building where The Tannery moved, on Boylston, the one where Restoration Hardware was located.

Boylston_Stree.jpg

Note the red X above the ugg advertisement. That means the fire department is not allowed inside in the even of a fire.

It feels like it lost its soul.

This thread popping back up reminded me of above building on High Street. Has anyone heard of any renovation plans? It is sad that it is in the same state four years later. It is in a terrible area of the street between the NStar substation and the MBTA ops building but I feel like sort of multi-level clothing/retail store could survive here.

Side Note: definition of irony = the number of reserved parking spots that the MBTA controls on this block for its fleet of SUVs.

I get the irony, but it's kinda hard to take a train to fix a broken down train. :)

Note the red X above the ugg advertisement. That means the fire department is not allowed inside in the even of a fire.

So that's what those are... damn... they're EVERYWHERE!

^
Just a little clarification, it's my understanding that those signs identify that the building is unoccupied so firefighters don't needlessly rush inside looking to rescue people. However, they can and will still enter to fight a fire if necessary and safe to do so.

What difference does it make to a firefighter if a safe building is occupied or not. It makes a big difference is the building is structurally dangerous.

I don't know, I was under the impression that a single slash from TR to BL meant the building was potentially unstable, so enter with caution and leave ASAP. And a full cross meant don't go in.

Any BFD people here?

What difference does it make to a firefighter if a safe building is occupied or not. It makes a big difference is the building is structurally dangerous.

A google search found the following article which in pertinent part reads:
The red “X” on the building was put in place to protect firefighters’ lives. It marks abandoned buildings around the city and warns firefighters not to enter unless a life is at risk, while a single red slash sign slightly downgrades the warning and cautions firefighters to fight the blaze from outside the building and enter only with extreme caution.
State lawmakers added the red “X” and slash signs to state building and fire codes after six firefighters died after a homeless couple accidentally started a fire inside an abandoned Worcester warehouse in 1999. It took more than a week for crews to find their bodies in the rubble.

Salemme said the markings provide an important tool to let firefighters know whether the buildings are structurally unsound. During nighttime blazes, firefighters can’t see whether the floor is missing or the roof is going to cave in through the thick, black smoke, Salemme said.
“It’s people first, property second,” said Salemme. “We’re not going to put our lives at risk for an abandoned building that’s in disrepair and almost condemned anyway.”
Source : http://www.wickedlocal.com/somervil...ont-enter-except-to-save-a-life#axzz1tdl0KYEt

Last edited:
955 Boylston 9/27. Looks like the renovation has begun. The sign reads "Boston Architectural College Renovates". Is this a class project??

955 Boylston Str. 9/27

Back