RFP for new cruise terminal

But it's regrettable that both the current and proposed cruise terminals are in the middle of nowhere, rather than at some prominent site such as Battery Wharf or Rowes Wharf.

Ron Newman said:
But it's regrettable that both the current and proposed cruise terminals are in the middle of nowhere, rather than at some prominent site such as Battery Wharf or Rowes Wharf.
Yeah, but it could be worse. In New York, it's Red Hook and Bayonne.

Is World Trade Center (Commonwealth Pier) too small for modern cruise ships?

The Inner Harbor is physically too small for cruise ships to dock. The reason Bostons cruise industry is doing so well is because it is not in the middle of nowhere but 2 minutes from Logan Airport and easily accessable from 93 and the Pike. A real subway line may help bring passengers but who really wants to start and end a cruise hauling their crap on the subway?

btw- The Globe and Herald has reported this week that the cruise industry is worth $410M annually to Boston.

I was coming back to the city from Thanksgiving when I drove past a cruse ship docked along the Hudson piers in Midtown and its size completely blew me away. Those things are HUGE!

Back