RI Center of Excellence for Laboratory Sciences I Parcel 25 I 195 District I Providence

nicanbot

Reaction score
It would be nice to add more buildings that bring jobs as was the initial intent for the district. Most of the parcel developments have been housing thus far. The district does not seem to be attracting the much hoped for private sector jobs. While this Parcel 25 proposal has jobs, it is a state entity that might just be moving local job locations rather than really increasing positions.

It would be nice to add more buildings that bring jobs as was the initial intent for the district. Most of the parcel developments have been housing thus far. The district does not seem to be attracting the much hoped for private sector jobs. While this Parcel 25 proposal has jobs, it is a state entity that might just be moving local job locations rather than really increasing positions.

Here is an analysis/critique of why Providence's life sciences sector has been slow to take off despite such concerted efforts to jumpstart it. While this proposal would move a number of existing jobs currently located in Smith Hill, a shared public-private wet lab would offer a currently missing piece of biotech infrastructure that might draw private sector jobs.

Looks like the have the funding:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has awarded an $82 million grant to the McKee Administration for the construction of a Rhode Island Center of Excellence for Laboratory Sciences.

Rhode Island Receives $82 Million CDC Grant for the Development of Rhode Island Center of Excellence for Laboratory Sciences - EIN Presswire (einnews.com)
That... Is an unnecessarily complex and grandiloquent choice of name, especially compared to what it's replacing: the State Health Laboratory. Why is RI so prone to this? Beyond formerly having the longest state name, they do frame the central landfill as the "Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation"

Attachments

• 5D1D7B58-429A-41EB-B442-EFE62BFD2827.jpeg
    5D1D7B58-429A-41EB-B442-EFE62BFD2827.jpeg
    883.1 KB · Views: 57
Outside of the potential Fane Tower, this district has been super lame so far. I walked through in October and it's a sea of lost opportunities.

Saw the first sign of construction equipment at the site on Sunday 12-18-2022
View attachment 32026

The already completed 195 District projects of the Garrahy Parking Garage (far left) and Marriott Aloft Hotel (far right) are in the background.

Curious what the terra-cotta panels will look like. All the projects so far have some orange/red vibe…

Ancora L&G to develop 210,000 s/f life sciences
building at 150 Richmond St. in Providence, RI

Just so people know, this is the before mentioned building that will also house the RI State Health Lab.

Same here. That is why I made the post after I did some research. I was at first excited when I saw your Tuesday post thinking this was an entirely new project. Unfortunately it was not.

The 300,000sf seven story life sciences building in the Jewelry District should be a plus. The area on Richmond Street near Ship and Elbow Streets is presently a surface parking lot which appears to be already owned by Brown.

Couple of progress shots from yesterday. CIC will look less like an anomaly when this is completed I think.

Attachments

• EDDF0730-2CF5-4D97-B07D-1DB355345ECF.jpeg
    EDDF0730-2CF5-4D97-B07D-1DB355345ECF.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 283C2327-3A1C-4C8C-9112-7BB50C50AF90.jpeg
    283C2327-3A1C-4C8C-9112-7BB50C50AF90.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 41

Back