Ritz-Carlton -Back Bay

Thank you for your perseverance. *I* M angry at the devastation wrought upon this city in 1963.... :x

Reports: Ritz-Carlton sold to Indian company
Several media outlets are reporting that a $170 million sale of the Ritz-Carlton Boston hotel has been reached, a possibility first reported by the Boston Globe on Sept. 15.

Dow Jones, citing a local TV station in Mumbai, India, reported this morning that a company called Indian Hotels Co. Ltd would buy the hotel. That report offered no further details.

The Globe initially reported that a deal for the Ritz, a 79 year-old luxury haven for the wealthy and powerful, was in the works. The report cited an unnamed executive involved in the negotiations between the hotel's owner, New York-based Millennium Partners, and Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces, a luxury hotel chain based in India. If Taj bought the hotel, its name would likely change from the Ritz, the Globe report said.

The Ritz-Carlton Boston is on Arlington Street, across from the Boston Common. It has 275 rooms and was last sold in 1999 for $122 million.
(By Keith Reed, Globe staff)
Link

The one in Bombay is pretty spiffy. Most of the other Tajs are generic modern stuff that could be anyplace.

The Globe said:
Ritz-Carlton Boston to be Taj Boston
For 79 years, people have strolled from the Public Garden across Arlington Street to have breakfast or drinks at the Ritz-Carlton Boston. In January, the awnings will say "Taj Boston" instead.

Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces, a 145-year-old luxury hotel company based in Mumbai, India, has agreed to buy Boston's original Ritz-Carlton from Millennium Partners of New York for $170 million, Taj executives said yesterday.

"It still is Boston's landmark and will continue to be one of the grand hotels in the United States and the world," Raymond Bickson, managing director and chief executive of Indian Hotels Co. Ltd, which operates Taj hotels, said in an interview in Boston yesterday.

He met with Mayor Thomas M. Menino on Wednesday and will meet with hotel employees on Monday.

Millennium Partners developed the newer Ritz-Carlton, on the other side of Boston Common, and the two companies have been in negotiations for a deal on the Arlington Street hotel for about a year. Millennium bought the older Ritz in 1999 for $122 million because it wanted to use the name on its new inn.

Bickson said there are not likely to be major changes at the older Ritz, since it recently closed for a year and underwent a multi-million dollar renovation. "I think it's in great shape," he said, adding that he hopes all of the 450-500 employees stay.

Bickson said his company plans to reopen the "iconic dining room," which was closed early in 2005 to be used for private functions, to the public.

Taj owns or operates 75 hotels and resorts, including some on private islands, as in the Maldives. The only current US holding is the Pierre in New York, but Taj is looking to buy on the West Coast. Worldwide, the company's portfolio includes the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower in Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay) and 51 Buckingham Gate in London.
(By Thomas C. Palmer, Jr., Globe staff)
Posted by Boston Globe Business Team at 12:19 PM
Link

I believe the proper term is multinationalism.

I'm sure this has been posted here at one time or another but I think it shows the building you were talking about.

peacejubileeagainbackbayl2.jpg

The view down Comm Ave reminds me of the Seaport today.

What's the longhouse on the left behind Arlington St. church?

jusitn

is it Mechanics Hall?

Or maybe the temporary Peace Jubilee building?

Has anyone dined or stayed here since the change of hands? I walked through thursday night and they still had the ritz-carlton menu for the cafe and the bar was dead compared to when it was the ritz. I am very interested to see how this place does, especially with rooms now starting at $600 a night rather than $375. I've always favored the four seasons brand regardless of where I travel, but there was always something about this property that I found to be so appealing and it would be quite sad to see it wasted. I love having another five star hotel in the city but not at the expense of this property.

There's no Ritz Carlton Towers & Residences thread, so I put this here.

IMG_3298.jpg

Back