Rochester NH - New Development

Cojapo

Reaction score
Some exciting development going on in Rochester, so time for a little love.

ROCHESTER — Demolition began late last week on the historic Hoffman building on North Main Street, the first step in paving the way for new development.

The new, six-story project will include 45 apartments, with a 2,200 square feet of commercial space on the first floor, and an elevator lobby to the other floors. Fifteen interior parking spaces will be a part of the building. There will be a rear entrance on Union Street, where there is a parking lot.

Steve King, senior project manager for Groen Construction of Rochester, said crews began bringing down 55 North Main St., where Hoffman Furniture closed in 1986, last Friday. They were set to next move on to demolish 45 North Main St., which is also part of the redevelopment project.

"By the end of the day, we will have the Hoffman building down to street level," King said Tuesday. "Most of the debris will be in the basement by then. We will load it and haul it away and then remove the foundation and concrete slab."

King said the two properties, including 45 North Main St., will become one for the development.

"Once both are down, we will begin site work," King said. "Then we will get ready to pour the foundations. I expect that work to begin by mid-September." The new development will give a nod to the long-standing historic property. "There were art deco aspects in the original building so we will carry some of that into the new design," King said. "The Hoffman building was built in 1915, and has been vacant since 1986."

Traffic during the demolition is being controlled. King said they have taken over the sidewalk and three parking spaces in front, making them part of the construction zone, blocked by jersey barriers.

Hoffman2.jpg

Hoffman.jpg

On my way back from Manchester, I'd figured I'd stop by to see the new development going on in downtown and make an update here (8/24/22).
From the rear:
20220824_113140_edited-1.jpg

Front:
20220824_113330_edited-1.jpg

Looking South from the site:
20220824_113755_edited-1.jpg

The recently renovated Scenic Theater and Salinger block by Chinberg Properties:
20220824_114111_edited-2.jpg

Back