Ron Newman: Local Celebrity

TheBostonian

Reaction score
Ron, you can drop that Charlie Card off at my apartment.

http://boston.metro.us/metro/local/article/Dont_toss_those_CharlieTickets_after_all/6813.html

Don?t toss those CharlieTickets after all

by christina wallace / metro boston

FEB 6, 2007

BOSTON.?Ron Newman has a new hobby.

In the past several weeks, the Red Line commuter has noticed a pile up of CharlieTickets scattered on the ground of MBTA stations. Instead of chucking them in the trash, he decided to check to see if they still had value. What he found was that riders frequently ditch their tickets without tapping their value.

Newman began a mission: Collect as many tickets as possible.

As of late last week, the Somerville resident had 30 tickets worth $55.

?People don?t understand you can add value to a ticket,? said Newman, who commutes from Davis Square in Somerville.

His next step: Deposit the value onto one CharlieCard and donate it to a charity for someone in need.

Why aren't I in the newspaper

Sometimes I collect cans.

And, pennies.

And, loose papers.

How many have you collected so far?

43 tickets with a total value of $58.30

(either I gave a wrong figure to the Metro reporter last week, or she wrote it down wrong -- not sure which)

I've also found a few discarded CharlieCards. Most of them were empty, but one had 60 cents and another had $1.30. I handed these out to other passengers who wanted them when the station agent had run out.

Does anyone have a picture of Ron Newman? I've built up a hilarious mental picture of what he would look like in real life and i want to know if its correct.

I'm gonna say the same thing ....

I have a visual, too. Let's see if I'm right!!!

I'm guessing

I always thought Edward J Olmos ... let's see

Heh, my mental image was pretty accurate as well

Eh I recognize his face from a video he posted awhile back on SSG where he was protesting against the demolition of the Gaiety.

Ron, that was cool of you to give them to charity. I would of sold them on creigslist or something. Nice to see there are still good people in the world.

Back