Ron Newman: Local Celebrity

Re: do they call you tj at home

BostonObserver said:
DudeUrSistersHot said:
does he have a really feminine voice too?

always have to be an ass

Agreed, definitely an ass

Anyway, nice work Ron, keep it up.

Not sure what charity I'll give the card to yet -- I need to call around. Maybe Rosie's Place, who got the proceeds from the Subway Knitter's mitten auction.

Cheers Ron! You're a good guy. 8)

Ron: of all the tickets and cards you pick up, what proportion of them have value on them?

Maybe a third. I ignore $2 tickets, and mostly try out either $5 tickets or tickets that were bought in 2006 (easily recognizable because they have the words "ADULT Stored Value" in big letters). The $5 tickets often have $1 left on them; the 2006 tickets often have $1.25 left over.

I'll take a discarded CharlieCard even if it has zero value, because cards are useful. Sometimes I'll hand a card off to a passenger who doesn't have one and needs one, if the station agent has run out.

Also: how do you check the value of a ticket or card? And how will you consolidate them?

you can check the card values at any machines, not sure about the tickets though.

To find out the remaining value of a ticket, just stick it into any fare vending machine. The screen will display its value.

There isn't any way to combine tickets, except to go to the T office in Downtown Crossing. So that's what I'll do, some time next week. I now have 48 tickets worth $63.05. I'll probably have a few more by the time I bring them to the T office.

The next step is figuring out what organization can best use the resulting card - perhaps Rosie's Place or the Homeless Empowerment Project (the Spare Change News folks)

I dont understand the hostility toward Ron from certain members of the forum. I have disagreed with the guy countless times and never felt the compulsion to insult his point-of-view, nor his physical appearance.

He seems like a genuinely good guy, and the ceaseless disrespect towards him is beginning to really bother me. Guys, please, show some common etiquette here. Please.

About the Metro article -- I took some pride in seeing him in there. On the T to work the day it was published I excitedly showed it to my girlfriend saying,"This guy posts on the site all the time".

To which she responded,"Uuuuuh....really?", and then proceeded to continue reading the entertainment section.

I took some pride in seeing him in there

Then you are really going to be proud of the big plug the forum gets in tomorrows Globe Magazine article about the i-Pod store.

Wow -- looking forward to that!

(and to Briv -- thanks for the good words)

And here it is...

Stained Glass? by Rachel Strutt. The relevant section:
This question of how the building will commingle with its Boylston Street neighbors has been discussed not only at BBAC meetings but also online, most notably at archboston.com, a local architectural forum. There were archboston.com members who preferred the revised design with what one called the ?tic-tac-toe grid,? but others did not. Shortly after Apple unveiled its revised plans, one archboston.com member wrote, ?I think the resistance to letting [Apple] build what they want may result in a bland or ugly structure.?
I happen to know the writer, who is a staff member at the Somerville Arts Council. And the "tic-tac-toe grid" quote is from me

Local celebrity indeed.

The archboston.com mention was extremely, extremely cool.

callahan wrote:
I think the Resistance to letting them build what they want to build is what may result in a bland or ugly structure.

Nice quote callahan.

Ron Newman said:
There isn't any way to combine tickets, except to go to the T office in Downtown Crossing. So that's what I'll do, some time next week. I now have 48 tickets worth $63.05. I'll probably have a few more by the time I bring them to the T office.

I finally did it yesterday -- brought 50 tickets worth $67.85 to Downtown Crossing. They gave me a CharlieCard with all of that value, but it took 45 minutes to do so. I then added 15 cents to make it an even number of subway rides (40).

Later this week I'll donate the card to the Somerville Homeless Coalition. They have assured me that they will find a client who can use the card.

This really makes me glad to have come back to the forum.

I definitely recognize you Ron from my time living in Somerville. I had contacted you once to ask if you had been at Buddy's Diner, after I over heard a conversation there.

I can see from the Metro pic, you were correct. It was not you. :lol:

Anyway, I think this collection and donation thing is great.

Back