Rose Kennedy Greenway

Pat dude: y r old!!! BABE PERILLO old. (I looked that history up)

You must think Iam stupid and dont know you pick on me. WELL HERE IS SOME BOSTON STYLE PAGENTRY for you MRBILLY SULLIVAN and his clever friends!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRjdQL2QF8w

SEE the tourists flocking to OUR HISTORY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhPCefkL40

THIS IS THE WAY IT LOOKED!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RL3jSek2SM

Ok. U think you pooned me but I don't know. And I ask you. WHAT ARE YOUR SMART IDEAS??? But at least I am trying with our HISTORY, which is our greatest in this country and we should be PROUD, not cynical. And these videos PROVE IT!!!

This is what I see on the Grrenway. Say Tivloi Garden and some of you EUROSNOBS are kissing me with rose pedals!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FVifOfv3hw

I think I make my point here.

Last edited:
Lucky that dude writes cuz with Fred Taylor and Moroney he WON"T get many carrys. Even patriot will figure it out lol.

Bostonbred is a complete idiot, and yet his ideas are better than anything Boss Menino's henchmen at the BRA have come up with.

A roller coaster.... not a bad idea. And an interesting solution to the North/South link.

Imagine the Boston Massacre EVERY DAY!!! Close State st for 2 hrs every day around noon for renactments with citizens and soldiers retreating to the greenway.

When I read the bolded text, I literally exploded into laughter in my cube. And when I say exploded with laughter, I mean I was to the point of tears, causing my manager to ask whether or not I was ok.

I wasn't laughing at the absurdity of the idea of there being a re-enactment of the Boston Massacre on a daily basis. I think I was just laughing at your excitement towards there being a massacre on a daily basis.

Bostonbred, you've got lots of ambition, I'll give you that.

I also think a roller coaster in the middle of downtown would be sweet. They could call it The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, and the cars could be imitation horses. It could start out near the Old North Church, launch you through the Greenway, swing up Summer Street, follow down Tremont and over Government Center (finally the plaza will be used for something), and then returning to the Old North Church. Throughout the ride a man dressed in Colonial clothing and tri-corner hat would be shouting historical facts over a loudspeaker as you pass locations throughout downtown.

I see my idea is not everyones' cup of teeth so I have OTHER ideas for OTHER projects so I will restin this piece here. Yes that is the Democratic Way and people have spoken their writings, and I listened with great interest. BUT there are historic things to do like Columbus. So I will share there!!!
BUT I do want to say that some of (NOT ALL) you understand Boston and will make its future what it used to be. Thank you.

this can't possibly be real...where are the cameras...where's allen funt?

I see my idea is not everyones' cup of teeth

Where do I find these teeth cups?

Its not that I dissaprove of your ideas, I think you definetely have a defendable arguement that Boston can do more and attract more to the greenway by incorporating its history into the greenway [actually, thats a very defendable one], its just the extremism, the degree to which you wish to implement this idea, and the way you present it to us, like your the joker on cocaine or something, that i find funny/annoying and thats why i'm messing around with you.

no harm no foul. Just calm yourself and try and be a little more level headed on this forum.

As a current Brocktonian, I would recommend against one of bostonbred's ideas. No one should ever try to replicate the Brockton Fair in any way, especially not in Boston.

This may have been a great attraction 3 or 8 decades ago. Now I just cannot wait until it ends, which it did finally but not without a shooting on it's last weekend. Wrong way to go out with a bang.

I've never been to it, but is it much different from Marshfield's or Topsfield's or the Big E in West Springfield?

There was a Suffolk County Fair a decade or two ago for a few years. I think it was held at Suffolk Downs.

I've never been to it, but is it much different from Marshfield's or Topsfield's or the Big E in West Springfield?

I think the Brockton Fair is probably okay during daytime hours, but at night things frequently get "lively" and not in a good way. This year during its fairly short run, police made arrests for the following: carnie on carnie assaults, a carnie was stabbed by a fair attendee, a carnie assaulted multiple attendees, and finally a fairly serious shooting occured between feuding groups. There was probably more incidents, I just know about those.

It has disintegrated over the years, and the attractions and rides have become less and less. I see a lot less family activity or even attendance. Mainly for the reasons listed above. I don't miss the traffic as I have to drive through it all the time, but I do hate seeing a great old tradition fizzle.

I enjoy the Marshfield fair.

I went there my only time 9 or 10 years ago. I know that same day (or later that night) a carnie snatched and sexually assaulted a couple 12 year olds.....

Now it's a place for the paper gangsters in town to walk around feeling hard.

I do get free fireworks shows in my side yard thanks to it and the Rox Stadium.

How old do you have to be in order to be considered bred in Boston?

Whoever said Bostonbred has ambition is right. But Bostonbred, while you were ranting on our ages, your perception failed you. There are many younger people on this forum, such as myself. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that Patriot is no older than college (forgive me if I am mistaken, Patriot.)

They put in some public art sculpture right in the Rowes wharf park. I didn't have a camera but its a tall steel "tree" that shifts position with the wind. It's nice and it does add something. I would like to see some more similar installations, but not too much. I don't feel like dodging things. I'm sure someone will get a picture of it soon.

It's temporary. From the Greenway website http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/about-the-conservancy/news-20090723.htm:
RENOWNED 35 FOOT TALL KINETIC SCULPTURE, BOTANICA, TO BE INSTALLED ON THE ROSE F. KENNEDY GREENWAY ON THURSDAY, JULY 23
What: Botanica, a kinetic sculpture by acclaimed artist George Sherwood, will be installed on The Rose F. Kennedy Greenway this week in collaboration with the Rose F. Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit organization that manages the programming and maintenance of the parks on behalf of the public.

The graceful 35 foot tall brushed stainless steel depiction of leaves reaching towards the sky will reflect the sunlight, move in the sea breezes that pass through the neighboring arch of the Rowes Wharf building, and serve as a symbol of Boston?s newest, expansive green space.

The Conservancy is delighted that Mr. Sherwood is introducing this piece to the Greenway this summer, bringing an interesting temporary art exhibit to these new parks. "Botanica" was originally chosen by a juried panel in a collaborative project between the Conservancy and the UrbanArts Institute of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design to install a few temporary exhibits of sculpture in advance of the October 2008 Greenway Inaugural Celebration. However, lack of funding and complexity of installation prevented installation of this work at that time. This spring the Conservancy received the support of a generous private donor. The exhibit will run from July 23, 2009 to December 2010, with the provision that it may be removed during the winter months.

When: Thursday, July 23

Where: The Rose F. Kennedy Greenway, Atlantic Avenue across from Rowes Wharf

About the artist: George Sherwood is an award-winning sculptor whose works have been featured in parks, sculpture gardens at museums, and botanical gardens around the country, but particularly in New England.

Sherwood?s sculptures explore systems that incorporate space, time and the relationships between dynamic objects. The choreography of each piece is governed by a set of basic movements, facilitated by an arrangement of rotating joints and aerodynamic surfaces. The wind provides an unpredictable element of improvisation. Light, landscape and weather are integral to each sculpture. Many of the sculptures echo the vitality and gestures extracted from nature. The swaying of grass in a windy meadow, a flock of birds diving and swooping over the marsh, and the craning of a bird?s neck are patterns of movement that he has employed to give life to static forms. In 2008 he had a solo exhibit ?Wind and Light? at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay, Maine. He also exhibited at the Atlanta Botanical Garden?s Sculpture in Motion exhibition in the summer of 2008.

The reflective qualities of stainless steel further the integration of the sculpture into its environment. Wind speed and direction, shades of light, time of day, precipitation, and seasonal color interplay to transform the qualities of light and movement. Sherwood?s sculptures are best viewed over extended periods to appreciate the interaction with their natural setting. Sherwood is a member of Boston Sculptors and the Royal Society of British Sculptors for more information please visit http://www.georgesherwood.com.

For more information on the sculpture, contact Mary Kuechenmeister at Essex Fine Art, LLC at mary@essexfineart.net or 603.738.7477.

I like it!!

Most public art put on display tends to be shamelessly modern and gimmicky without any context. (Cough Chicago)

On the other hand; this has modern technical elements but looks so serene and simple and is perfect for its location.

Not related to the Greenway but the statue/fountain at the entrance to the Common by Park St T stop has been removed with fencing all around it. Looks like they'll be installing either hopefully a restored fountain or something new!

The fountain is being renovated and should be back in place by November. From the Boston Globe http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...rewer_fountain_to_undergo_restoration?mode=PF:
A fountain fallen from grace
141-year-old fixture to undergo repairs - with a hefty price tag
By David Abel, Globe Staff | June 12, 2009

For years, the chiseled sea nymphs and other Parisian-styled gods have existed in an ignominious purgatory in which their glory has been relegated to a perch for pigeons.

The only time the bronze statues have water sluicing through their pipes is when it rains.

The inglorious fate of the 141-year-old Brewer Fountain has long irked city officials and others who have admired its bygone grace near the northeast edge of the Boston Common, in the shadows of the State House.

Now, after years of effort to raise money since it ran dry in 2003, the city's oldest fountain is about to undergo a major restoration.

But the work comes at a steep cost for a city in financial straits. The budget for the project now stands at more than $630,000, which could rise depending on what contractors find when they examine the fountain more closely. About half of that money will come from city coffers, the rest from the federal government and private donors.

"The renovation of Boston Common is very important, and we see this as a first step, bringing back a wonderful attraction and amenity to that edge of the park," said Antonia Pollak, commissioner of the Boston Parks and Recreation Department.

The Brewer Fountain, the only known surviving copy of the original featured at the 1855 Paris World Fair, was imported from Switzerland by Gardner Brewer, a wealthy merchant, and assembled on the Common in 1868.

The first effort to repair the 22-foot-tall fountain began nearly a decade ago, when workers discovered extensive damage to the pipes and determined that the project would require much more money than anticipated. The fountain burbled until 2003, when its pump died.

Since then, private donors have raised money, and officials have sought matching grants from the federal government, but the city has treated the fountain like a sculpture and sought to spruce it up with plants, flowers, and other ornaments.

The City Council appropriated the money several years ago, city officials said, but it had to come up with tens of thousands of additional dollars this year, because the cost has increased. Despite the expense, the project is backed by Mayor Thomas M. Menino, as well as the City Council.

"It's the right thing to do," Menino said in an interview this week. "The fountains beautify our city. It makes our city alive. It's amazing how many people ask about fountains."

Councilor Michael P. Ross, who represents the Back Bay, said the project is part of a larger effort to improve the section of the Common along Tremont Street, an increasingly dingy area of the park that on many days looks like a homeless encampment.

"We need more positive activity in the area," Ross said.

Menino's challengers, Councilors at Large Sam Yoon and Michael F. Flaherty, both said they support the project.

The city maintains 21 fountains, park officials said, and the Brewer is one of four not working. The other fountains are in Coppens Square in Dorchester, in Statler Office Park near The Boston Park Plaza Hotel & Towers, and the White Memorial fountain in the Public Garden.

Margaret Dyson, the city's director of historical parks and the manager of the Brewer project, said the plan is to restore the bronze sculptures and the cast-iron central armature, to install a new mechanical pump and filtration system, to update surrounding light fixtures, and to repair the granite plinths and concrete basin. She said there are holes in several sculptures, which represent Neptune, Amphitrite (Neptune's wife), and Acis and Galatea, a couple from Greek mythology.

"As we lose more of the bronze and the structural element, the fountain could collapse," Dyson said. "That's why we can't defer the maintenance. We could cross our fingers and hope for the best, or we can do it now."

The city has recently cordoned off the fountain. Over the next few weeks, contractors will carefully clean it, inspect the piping, and take detailed pictures of every crevice. Then, they will dismantle it into about 14 pieces and ship it to Watertown, where a team of architects, engineers, electricians, plumbers, and conservators will spend several months trying to restore its luster.

The work should be finished and the fountain reassembled by November, said Clifford Craine, the art conservator in charge of the project for Daedalus Inc. in Watertown.

Michael Levenson of the Globe staff contributed to this report. David Abel can be reached at dabel@globe.com.

Back