Rose Kennedy Greenway

Movie opening is 6 weeks away, seems premature to be advertising it this way.

Where's Mike Timlin when you need him?
timlin.jpg

^ Not just the inflatable building. How about that lineup of freebie newspapers? Does anyone actually read those? Are they even good for wrapping fish?

Disheveled clutter.

The mayor tried to ban them once. The publishers fought him on 1st Amendment grounds and won.

The mayor tried to ban them once. The publishers fought him on 1st Amendment grounds and won.
Must be a way to regulate the visual circumstances of their distribution without seeming to threaten their right to exist.

Ablarc, that would be a great entry for SHIFT Boston or a week long project for students in a first year studio. However, methinks they are too busy fetishizing icons of the new cult of green God: windmills, solar panels, suburban lawns, and other onto fairly ironic neo-Archigram fantasy, to tackle something this useful.

^ Not just the inflatable building. How about that lineup of freebie newspapers? Does anyone actually read those? Are they even good for wrapping fish?

Disheveled clutter.

the metro one's make a great greenhouse. There is one in cleveland circle with a 1ft high plant growing inside it.

It's unconstitutional to eliminate them for aesthetic purposes. Get over it.

Boston has exterminated too much clutter anyway. Must everything in this city be so prim and streamlined?

Does anyone actually read those?

I do. The city would be a poorer place without the Phoenix or Weekly Dig.

The issue came before the Supreme Court twice (in 1988 and 1993) and both times the Court ruled for newspapers. I'm surprised there wasn't another appeal on that basis in the Beacon Hill case, but then again, I haven't looked in detail at what any of the decisions really turned on (I think the papers are generally required to prove they lack alternative means of distribution, while the city's restrictions cannot be found to be content-related). ACLU Massachusetts thinks that decision needs to be revisited, and there were serious arguments that it couldn't be relied on as precedent when a similar case arose in the Back Bay.

The Phoenix should go back to charging and sell through newsstands.

25 cents would be enough.

New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles all have some kind of standardized solution. Chicago's is a sidewalk-mounted armature that suspends several newspaper boxes in a line. Black powdercoat finish, built to last, classy.

Why not here?

Brookline has installed a set of black metal boxes for various publications at certain locations - Coolidge Corner, Washington Square, etc. Sadly they are not being used.

Boston could do this, but then you eliminate the visual chaos of the urban environment that makes it interesting.

The city would be a poorer place without the Phoenix or Weekly Dig.

I agree. However, some of the other free publications in these boxes are not newspapers by any definition, as they consist totally of advertising (cars, jobs, or real estate). I don't want to get rid of them, but I suspect they enjoy less First Amendment protection than the Phoenix, Dig, Improper, Courant, or even Stuff@Night.

New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles all have some kind of standardized solution. Chicago's is a sidewalk-mounted armature that suspends several newspaper boxes in a line. Black powdercoat finish, built to last, classy.

Why not here?

Ive seen them in DC. They sit empty and unused next to a giant line of newspaper boxes.

Back