Rose Kennedy Greenway

Reducing the traffic on the surface streets certainly sounds worthwhile, as does adding more concerts.

Any building on Parcel 11B will be welcome, whether it's 55 feet or 85 feet tall.

No new bike lanes? Don't we have have a Tzar for that?

Boston Harbor Islands Pavilion

Ground breaking today(5/4/10).

We at the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy are thrilled to have our partners at Boston Harbor Island Alliance and the National Park Service breaking ground on the Boston Harbor Islands Pavilion ? today from 12-3 PM in the Wharf District Parks, across from Quincy Market.

When it opens next year, the pavilion will help further enliven and activate this part of the Greenway which is already a popular destination as the site of the Greenway Carousel (reopening this Friday, May 7). The pavilion ? a 4,500 square foot open-air public facility, built within a 28,000 square foot landscaped footprint ? will serve as a visitor information facility and will offer ferry tickets, schedules, and answers to general questions about the city of Boston. Innovative interpretive exhibits will promote the islands and help visitors learn about their wonderful natural, cultural and historical features.

The pavilion will also provide the capacity for special events, a small retail function and concessions, and serve as a landside environmental education facility that can accommodate groups of kids and/or adults. We are looking forward to collaborating with National Park Service on many programs and activities.

http://blog.rosekennedygreenway.org/

Some info & one rendering:

http://www.utiledesign.com/

Last edited:
Didn't they change the design team for this? Does anyone have an updated rendering? I couldn't find one online . . .

A sheep farm? I thought they were LLama's?

Nancy Brennan Executive Director
Does anybody know this hacks credentials? Is she actually from Boston?

Look: activity! (via uhub)

gridstretchers.jpg

Ned was right all along... Look how the toxic ventilaton fumes cause these poor souls to topple over in unison.

I'd prefer to be identified as part of a fifth column against piss-poor urban design and ill-conceived public policy. ;-)

^ The people I was referring to call themselves "Utile."

Can I join your fifth column?

Don't worry it isn't like their staff isn't infiltrating key committees and educational institutions within the city to underhandedly gain undue influence.

Side note: Tim Love at Utile was far too busy with requests to see him last summer, so he couldn't meet with me to talk about architecture and such. Nader Tehrani at Office dA was far more accommodating. I wonder whose work is more highly acclaimed? Wait, no I don't. It's Office dA.

That ventilation building wall -- why not turn it into a public rock-climbing wall? That could attract quite a crowd (including spectators).

Pretty brilliant idea, though. Maybe get Dick's Sporting Goods to sponsor it? They have climbing walls in most of their stores. Or even better, get someone like EMS to do it. Get a local brand in there.

It would need to be a lockable facility or under 24 hour staffing. First drunk kid who breaks his neck after deciding it would be fun to climb it at 3am and the rock wall is history.

Back