Rose Kennedy Greenway

Ron Newman said:
Perhaps the best of both worlds can eventually occur -- add new floors on top of what's already there?

I'm fine with that, though I doubt that building was designed to hold up another three floors. As far as I know there is no reason to save the current building, might as well just start from scratch.
But I'd be happy with anything that covers the party walls and brings the building up to the level of it neighbors.

Steve Bailey's latest anti-development diatribe. He's so old and out of touch with the modern city. I can't wait for the money-hemmoraging Globe to finally ax him.

And love him or hate him - how cool is Don Chiafaro???? Check out the swipe he takes at lil' Stevey at the end!!! I wish more developers would stand up to this whining little turd.

Greenway sanity

By Steve Bailey, Globe Columnist | March 7, 2008

Don Chiofaro. Ted Raymond. Pay attention, please. This is about you.

We know that our mayor, Tom Menino, likes to make news when he appears before the wall-to-wall crowd at the annual meeting of the Municipal Research Bureau. Two years ago Menino made page one headlines with his call for a dramatic 1,000-foot tower that would "symbolize the full scope of this city's greatness." Today, speaking in the same ballroom at the Seaport Hotel, Menino will again make news: This time he will call not for taller towers but shorter - at least on the city's new Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

As always, the devil is in the details - and the follow-through. This is a mayor who has rarely seen a big building he doesn't like. An 800-foot building is shorter than a 1,000-foot building, but neither fits on the Greenway. So it is encouraging that Menino is now directing the Boston Redevelopment Authority to pursue a comprehensive zoning review of the Greenway, tightening height and density guidelines.

Menino's point: The public has invested billions, and it has a right to protect that investment from overly ambitious development. Tough talk for a mayor not known for being tough on developers. We will see.

Unlike the critics - my friend Tom Keane, for instance, who in the Globe Magazine recently suggested we would be better off filling in the Greenway with buildings - I remain encouraged. Stand on one end of the Greenway and look to the other and what you see is blue sky and an expanse of open space. That is priceless - except we have paid more than enough for it. The Greenway remains a work in progress; we are too impatient. We will get it right, and it will become a new signature for the city.

One measure of the Greenway's success is the rush to build all around it. Developers understand that value. Russia Wharf is ready to begin construction. Chiofaro, builder of International Place, has paid handsomely for the enormous, ugly garage beside the New England Aquarium. North Station and the Bulfinch Triangle are hot. Developers would like to get moving around South Station and Chinatown. The credit crunch is the big inhibitor.

All good things. After $15 billion in public investment, private investment was supposed to follow. What we don't need is a series of Manhattan-like towers obscuring the sky above the Greenway. Or more mediocre Houston knockoffs like the InterContinental Boston hotel. Height is appropriate in some places, not in others. The Greenway is a place for special care. Building better, not bigger should be the measure.

Some developers are suffering from Greenway madness. Chiofaro, for instance, has shown a model of his proposed project at the aquarium that approaches 1,000 feet, says one person who has seen it. Raymond, whose projects include Trinity Place in Copley Square and Flagship Wharf in the Charlestown Navy Yard, has floated a vision for the Government Center garage that includes an 800-foot tower, a 600-foot tower, and two smaller towers. Situated at the intersection of the Green and Orange lines, Raymond's site is intriguing. The issues are how big and where does the height belong? Hint: Away from the Greenway.

In an interview yesterday, Raymond said he "shares the mayor's passion for the Greenway," and expects to make his plans public shortly. Chiofaro, apparently in a very long meeting, didn't call me back. But in an "open letter" after my "Greenway Madness" column in December, Chiofaro said I got it wrong when I said he was considering as much as 60 stories on his garage site. "A major factual error," he called it. But he didn't say how big he wanted to build. My error, if there was one, may have been in underestimating the size of his ambition.

"First off, Steve-from-Poughkeepsie, this is my town, too," Chiofaro wrote. "I was born in Boston, I've lived nowhere else, I've chosen to make my career here, and I care about this city intensely. The Chiofaro Company has indeed developed International Place as the largest office complex in the Financial District - sometimes size does matter.

"The Greenway presents an unprecedented opportunity for the city," he went on, "and it comes with commensurate responsibility." On that we do agree, Don.

Steve Bailey is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at bailey@globe.com or at 617-929-2902.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/03/07/greenway_sanity?mode=PF

Stand on one end of the Greenway and look to the other and what you see is blue sky and an expanse of open space. That is priceless

Then move out to the suburbs where there is plenty of blue sky and open space. Leave the city to the people who enjoy cities. Why is this so hard?

I really can't believe this stuff gets published. Honestly, what is the point of living in a city if you want those things?

The saddest part is, there is probably a large population in Boston that agrees with him.

I am so tired of these people. :mad:

Then move out to the suburbs where there is plenty of blue sky and open space. Leave the city to the people who enjoy cities. Why is this so hard?

People who enjoy cities also enjoy city parks. What's so hard about people on this forum understanding this. I would bet if you polled the people who work, live and visit this part of Boston they would overwhelmingly want this park. Phallus anyone?

Parks are fine. I like parks. Love P.O. Square. The Public Garden is priceless. The Esplanade is a jewel. The whole Emerald Necklace is a treasure. NYC wouldn't be NYC without Central Park.

The Greenway is a worthless median strip in the middle of the city.

The point is, there is a right way and a wrong way to build a park in a city.
The North End Park and Chinatown Park are great. Maybe a small pocket park in the wharf district. The rest should be developed to knit the city back together.

As for the height thing. I only care in sense that it increases density in the city. Density = more people & more people = greater diversity of goods and services (including things like theaters and art museums).

I would love a series of small Post Office Square Parks... surrounding by towering skyscrapers and full of people and LIFE. Don't forget that there is the large Columbus park right downtown too, and on the water to boot. If anything, there is too much parkland and wasted open lawns for a downtown city.

The Big Dig/Greenway was meant to bring the city together, not act as a barrier against downtown's growth and prosperity.

This horrible legacy of Mike Dukakis continues to haunt us, decades later.

Why can't people on this forum wait till it's finished and the buildings have been built.

Conversely, why can't Bailey wait for Chiofaro's building to be built before criticizing it?

We criticize the design and architecture of unbuilt buildings all the time. What's wrong with that?

^^ Agreed, as we should.

My point was that we should also hold our 'open space' plans to the same level of criticism.

I have a real fear that the Steve Bailey's and other anti-business wackos will turn the so-called "Greenway" (as a singular entity, it doesn't even exist) and use it as a tool to block future growth in the heart of the city. The "no new shadow on the garden/common" law is bad enough, imagine the stifling effect of such a law on a median strip snaking through the heart of downtown. No, nobody's proposing that - yet. But read between the lines of Steve-From-Poughkeepsie's column and the intent is plain to see.

Huh.

I sent Bailey an email this morning. In an effort to make it polite I scrapped 99% of it before I sent it out. I left it at a recommendation to read Death & Life.

He responded:

i understand jacobs' importance. i still think the greenway will be a plus
long term. you welcome to disagree. best, bailey..

And by shear coincidence I also came across this quote today:

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Last edited:
Poughkeepsie Steve has crapped all over the InterContinental, Russia Wharf, the Dainty Dot Tower, One Congress, and Chiafaro's plan. He has decided to wear the mantle of the downtown development antagonist and savior of the precious and mythical "Greenway".

Companies I've worked for have butted heads with Chiafaro in the past, but kudos to him for standing up to this backwards, outdated bonehead.

Ask and you shall receive.

Menino wants to extend park over Storrow Drive

March 7, 2008 01:57 PM

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff

Mayor Thomas M. Menino today called for expanding public green space between the Public Garden and the Esplanade by covering over a section of Storrow Drive in need of rebuilding.

"I'm calling on everyone to take a Big Picture view," Menino said in a speech to the Boston Municipal Research Bureau at the Seaport Hotel in South Boston.

"Think about this for a moment," Menino said. "We can reopen the river front to residents, connect the Charles River and the Public Garden, and create more green space in the heart of our downtown neighborhoods."

In challenging the state and others to extend public space along the Charles River, Menino cited the example of the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.

"We saw a chance to make a bold statement about Boston's future," Menino said.

As reported in the Globe this morning, Menino also called for building height limits along the new Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

"The public interest, not the private market, should guide development" around new Greenway parks, Menino said.

To the west, Boston University and Harvard University are considering similar plans to extend parks above Storrow Drive and Soldiers Field Road to the Charles River.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Boston Business Journal covered the same speech:

Menino also said the city is moving ahead with plans to move City Hall to the South Boston Waterfront on a parcel called Drydock Four. Menino first announced his intention to sell the Government Center building and move city government to the waterfront in December of 2006. He did not mention another project, the 1,000 foot tower slated for the heart of Boston's Financial District, in his remarks. Menino has called for the tallest tower in New England to be constructed on the site of a city-owned parking garage.

He noted development on the South Boston Waterfront was moving ahead thanks to public and private investment that produced the "rise of a record-setting convention center, a gleaming federal courthouse, a beautiful new home for the ICA, and Boston's greenest office building, the new John Hancock" and construction is underway on the first new 500,000-square-foot office building on Fan Pier.

Can anyone clarify (correct?) - did they rename the Manulife building in the Seaport "John Hancock" or is the Mayor (or BBJ) being clever?

Source: Menino: BRA plans Greenway zoning review - Boston Business Journal

Limiting heights "along" the so-called Greenway is civic suicide. This series of off-ramps, museums, median strips and parks runs through the heart of the city, along the only areas in the entire City of Boston where excessive height should be encouraged.

We'll wait and see. What limits? ARe we talking nothing higher than 8 stories? 25 stories? Where is the arbitrary line going to be drawn? And most importantly... what does "along" the Greenway mean? Does it mean "directly fronting" the so-called Greenway, or just "near" it?

This is how this game ends: The mayor appoints his buddies, coat-hangers, and cronies to some childish "Friends of the Greeenway Development Oversight Committee", and developers have to go hat-in-hand to yet another group of "municipal" people to get approval for doing anything "along" the Greenway.

What a true disaster for the City of Boston to start restrictive zoning in the heart of the densest, tallest part of the city. And you can't just start moving away from the Greenway to build tall or you'll end up casting shadows on the Common - also verboten.

I'm not aborist, but I often walk during lunch to many different areas since I'm right at state st.

What does the common have over the greenway? mature trees. and intamite park benches. thats really about it.... I don't know about growing trees and how much sunlight they need, but mature trees in the greenway, intamite seating and large buildings making large urban walls seems to be the answer. Really it's all about time, this project just needs some time.

And while many people point out there's no one in the greenway, there's almost no one in Post Office Square either... the weather sucks. You can't make an arument against the greenway and ignore that PO sq is empty at the same time. It's called winter people. excuse the mispellings, I know there are a few.

Back