Rose Kennedy Greenway

Is that where it is? Perhaps this was meant to be our Trafalgar Square, with Admiral Dewey presiding in place of Lord Nelson? Dewey Square could use some of that verticality, as well as a better sense of definition. It just sort of sprawls. City Hall Plaza with traffic on it.

http://www.bc.edu/libraries/about/exhibits/burnsvirtual/eagle/4.html
The official story

"In 1957, Boston College received the column and base of the Admiral George Dewey Memorial from the city of Boston. The memorial had stood in front of South Station in Dewey Square and was taken down to make way for the Central Artery project. The column was placed in front of Gasson Hall, at the end of Linden Lane, and the eagle sculpture was mounted on the top. The prominent placement of the statue was clear evidence of the eagle's importance to the identity of the university.

The base of the Dewey Memorial is crafted out of pink granite and is located in the center of the quad that is formed by Lyons, Gasson, Devlin and Fulton Halls. It consists of the sculpted prows of four ships each traveling in one of four different directions. As if made deliberately for Boston College, a carved eagle is on the edge of each ship's prow.

In 1993, the original bronze sculpture was replaced with an exact replica. Due to the harsh New England winters, the original had begun to crack and could not withstand the natural elements for much longer. The work was done by Skylight Studios (Woburn, Massachusetts), a firm that has handled restoration projects for the Museum of Fine Arts. The firm first made cosmetic repairs to the original, then created a mold and finally cast a replica. This photograph shows Tom Cipolla cleaning the sculpture as he created a mold of it. Like the original, the identical replica stands four feet high and has a six-foot wing span.

Today the eagle sculpture in front of Gasson Hall is one of the most photographed locations on Boston College's campus. It has become almost a rite of passage for proud parents to take photographs of newly admitted students or graduating seniors in front of the statue, with Gasson Hall in the background. "

I like it being out at BC...

A little more detail...

Besides, I think BC is doing a better job of upkeep than the Greenway Commission would...

Why not make another replica and reinstall that back in Dewey Square, though?

Call for Entries

Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Inaugural Celebration Sculpture Exhibition - Boston, MA
Deadline: Friday, August 22, 2008

Eligibility: Open to Massachusetts artists.

The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy in Boston, MA invites artists to forward a selection of existing sculptures or installations for an outdoor exhibition from October 1 to November 2, 2008. This project is organized in conjunction with the Inaugural Celebration on October 4, 2008, a free festival to celebrate the completion of the new mile-long park in downtown Boston stretching from the North End to Chinatown.

Artists are encouraged to enter large-scale work for installation on the grounds of the park. The UrbanArts Institute at Massachusetts College of Art and Design is facilitating the project in close collaboration with the Greenway Conservancy, the City of Boston, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, and other partners. Funding has been provided by State Street Foundation.

Download the complete Call for Entries at http://www.urbanartsinstitute.org ? click on Opportunities.

Massachusetts College of Art and Design
621 Huntington Avenue - Tower 538
Boston, MA 02115-5801

617.879.7973 tel
617.879.7969 fax
christina.lanzl@massart.edu
http://www.urbanartsinstitute.org

Great idea but sounds like a lot of work and effort (installation of large scale artist's works) for just a month. Why not leave the sculptures up for a while, like maybe 6 months to a year. It would definitely give people a reason to walk the Greenway.

^^^^^ That is a great idea!
(None of those cows, though, pretty please.)

atlantaden, I forwarded your response to Christina Lanzl and pointed her at this discussion.

And I got back this reply from her:

Thanks for your posting and your email. The Greenway Conservancy?s approach to public art on the Greenway has been to experiment for the next 2-4 years. The inaugural sculpture exhibition is part of this process. Because the celebration is scheduled on Oct. 4, the idea is to remove work not only because the concept is a temporary exhibition, but also in consideration of the artwork, before winter weather takes its toll on materials, etc. Winter programs on the Greenway will commence thereafter and highlight other activities and exhibits along the park.

Driving home late Saturday night, the waterfront was covered in a heavy fog.

As much as I dislike the light blades, I have to admit they looked cool as hell cutting through the thick blanket of fog. I only wish I had my camera.

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

looks like you are getting a lot of finger points :p. that or somthing interesting is behind you.

"Excuse me, I was looking for Boston, but appear to have wandered into downtown Dallas."
"There! Head that way, then make a left. And hurry, before they demolish or homogenize the rest!"

BRA Wants Greenway Consultant
By Thomas Grillo, Banker & Tradesman

The Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) needs some help when it comes to the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

The agency will issue a Request for Proposals today for a consultant to revise zoning along the two-and-one-half-mile park that replaced the elevated highway suppressed during the Big Dig.

Officials from the city?s planning and development agency are seeking a design team with experience in urban planning, historic preservation, traffic and transportation, market analysis, financial feasibility and development, the city said.

?Billions was spent on the Big Dig to create a new roadway system, and the Greenway is a major benefit that we get to enjoy,? said John F. Palmieri, BRA director. ?But we want to make sure the integrity of the green space is protected.?

Deadline for submission is Oct. 20. A consultant is expected to be selected next spring.

The new guidelines will come at a time when a pair of developments is in the planning stages along the Greenway. The Raymond Property Co. is expected to file plans to replace the Government Center Garage at One Congress Street, adjacent to the Haymarket MBTA station, with a transit-oriented project of hotel, office, condominiums and retail.

In addition, Donald J. Chiofaro, owner of the Boston Harbor Garage near the New England Aquarium, hopes to demolish the 7-story concrete facility and replace it with a mix of luxury office space, hotel and condominiums.

Is there some room for a seasonal skating rink anywhere here? Greenways are lovely in the summer when they are all green but in winter tend to become a cold and deserted area.

Back