Rose Kennedy Greenway

While I think Cottage thing sounds dumb (I'm holding off my judgment till I see it) MONEY is the means.

Methodology is something completely different.

TRUE. But how many Building techniques have really been changed without having money?

^^If using the Old Method of building a 2000 s.f. house costs $200,000 and using the New Method costs $150,000. Does the new methodology cost $150,000 or -$50,000?

^^If using the Old Method of building a 2000 s.f. house costs $200,000 and using the New Method costs $150,000. Does the new methodology cost $150,000 or -$50,000?

But to get to that assumption you needed to spend 200K......I don't know many poor people that could actually think of a new method when not having the money to create the old method in the first place.

But yes you are right and I'm wrong about the concept of Methodology.

Greenway?s managers hope food will make the park more appetizing
By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / June 11, 2010
Food vendors will open for business Monday on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, offering everything from Argentine sandwiches to fruit smoothies as part of an effort to draw larger summer crowds to the downtown Boston park system.

The vendors will help fill an obvious void on the Greenway, which provides plenty of open space but little in the way of food or drink to give people a reason to linger there. By the end of the month, six new food stands will be operating, most of them between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m.

?The goal is to create a great public amenity and have food that is interesting to a broad range of people,?? said Nancy Brennan, executive director of the conservancy that manages the park system. ?It will be healthy, affordable food that meets people?s needs.??

The vendors, to be located at strategic points between South Station and the North End, were selected as part of a one-year pilot program to begin introducing food service to the 1.3-mile string of parks. Each vendor will pay monthly rent, producing about $50,000 to help finance park operations.

The vendors, selected from 21 bidders, include:

■ Clover Food Lab Truck, in Dewey Square park near South Station. The truck, powered partly by recycled cooking oil, will sell mostly vegetarian food, including sandwiches, salads, and french fries. The truck opened this week.

■ Silk Road BBQ, in the Rowes Wharf Plaza. The unique circular kiosk will offer charcoal-grilled meat skewers, taking its inspiration from the world?s original grilled takeout, served along the passage between Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The kiosk will also serve free hot tea, observing the Central Asian tradition of always offering tea to visitors, as well as encouraging them to stop and chat.

■ Beantown Franks ?n Spuds, near the Rings Fountain at Atlantic Avenue and Milk Street. The solar-powered pushcart will sell hot dogs, roasted rosemary potatoes, and corn on the cob.

■ Andale Express, also near the Rings Fountain. The cart, adapted from the downtown Boston restaurant, will sell Latin favorites, including burritos, tacos, and Argentine sandwiches called choripan.

■ Going Bananas, near the carousel across from Faneuil Hall. An offshoot of the North End store will sell fruit smoothies, Italian ice, fresh fruit, and bottled drinks.

■ Boston Pushcart, in the North End Park, at Cross and Hanover streets. North End restaurateur Joe Bono, owner of Al Dente and Benevento?s, will sell hot dogs, Italian sausages, and lemonade, among other offerings.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/business/arti...hope_food_will_make_the_park_more_appetizing/

Great move, but then you're still left standing in the sun in the middle of traffic. You can argue over the latter point all you want, but the lack of shade makes the Greenway simply miserable in the summer.

Great move, but then you're still left standing in the sun in the middle of traffic. You can argue over the latter point all you want, but the lack of shade makes the Greenway simply miserable in the summer.

Yes, there is nothing like standing around on an 85 degree summer day eating food with no shade. I enjoyed how one commenter mentioned this should be modeled after Bryant Park, if we should only be so lucky to have that kind of thinking.

^^^ Not around here, we don't want to Manhattanize our downtown. B/c why take a page from the greatest urban space in all of America.

It seems to be one of the most obvious things - give a person a hot, sunny day, and they'll want to be in the shade. It really does make me wonder sometimes if there's genuine interest among the members of the BRA and neighborhood organizations in having the RKG function as a gathering space, where you can hang out and chat and eat for a while (a la the High Line - they have chaise longues to boot!!!), or if they're so enamored with the concept and the look of it that they like it better empty. Sure, people hang around the fountained parts of the RKG, but fountains and food and grass are not enough to keep much of the park area populated on a hot, sunny day. I hope this experiment in food makes more people realize that if they want to get food on the RKG they're either going to have to cross the road to find some shade to eat it in, or jockey for a spot in the shade of one of those multicolored panels growing out of the back of those stone benches. And then we'll have mobs of people we need to get the support for some much needed shade. I know, wishful thinking.

they're so enamored with the concept and the look of it that they like it better empty

Pretty much this. It was designed as a suburban amenity. Crowds of people was never the goal.

Edit: "was" or "were"? "Crowds" is plural but "goal" is singular. English is hard. :(

Last edited:
Pretty much this. It was designed as a suburban amenity. Crowds of people was never the goal.

Absolutely for the people that own properties near the Greenway.

Why build Tall buildings in the Boston? That type of thinking only creates a major city.
Menino: "This is what makes Boston so unique." It's a Subruban City.

Possibly: Marion Barry > Menino
OK, maybe not.

I can't wait to see groups of people huddled under the Harbor Islands pavilion pounding smoothies next July.

We need Rudy to break up the public sector unions and patronage system which has been killing the city since Curley. Chance of someone like that getting elected and cleaning house = 0% unless the city is one day forced to default and declare bankruptcy by the Feds. That's when Hell freezes over of course.

Boston already has a "Bryant Park," and it's called Post Office Square.

Build the equivalent of 20 Bryant Parks a block away from the original and they'll be competing with both the original and each other. Of course they'll be less crowded and popular, no matter what the design.

I think it would better if they have some permanent structures for vendors with some seating on the greenway than just push carts.

As an Armenian American, and speaking for my family and many others, I appreciate the new spot on the Greenway. It sincerely means a lot.

Watching the Celts game in the North End at Cafe Graffiti last night, the entire Greenway was a DEAD. NO LIFE, The only souls on the Greenway were walking through from the North End to get to Haymarket. Drove down the strip at 11.pm and it actually felt like being in the suburbs in Wilmington late at night. (Completely quiet) This is Downtown Boston in 2010. Not sure if the city actually should be livelier on the Greenway late at night because it?s supposed to be a park. It definitely needs cafes, restaurants, even some clubs along the strip. Since the Greenway is actually not a park they should make it a strip of beautiful scenery with awesome venues. Maybe even bring the Red Carpet scene from LA to BOSTON on this strip.

If the BRA had any brains, They would try to make Filene's castrophe a mini fashion & Music mecca development area. Make the Greenway a LA stars scene like the movies. (Red carpet district.) Seaport district should have been Pats/Soccer Stadium.

No dreamers at all running this city.

Edit: "was" or "were"? "Crowds" is plural but "goal" is singular. English is hard. :(

The answer is "were." The verb is meant to agree with the subject, which in this case is crowds. Goal is a predicate nominative, which is the high falluting way of saying noun that follows a linking verb.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion of how the Greenway represents everything that is wrong with Boston.

Back