Rose Kennedy Greenway

This museum is what was supposed to be built over the ramps, but they decided that they couldn't afford to do that.

Nice. The greenway golf course might finally get a clubhouse!

Now all we need is for the greenway to not be a golf course (or highway median depending on the season). Then we might finally have a neighborhood.

^ and UFPs.

Seriously though, this is a great building. I agree with Van that it will add a visual energy to the park. It's exactly the type of building needed for this space, and I like that it's not just a museum but has the market idea involved. I think if done right, it's a great idea.

As for the pedestrian bridge, I like it. It's really nothing more than an aesthetic to make this building more of a "landmark" or "icon" but I think it's interesting. This whole proposal is what the Greenway should be.

I'm confused. What will this market's connection be to the other one, proposed for the parking garage/vent building one block north? Not to mention Haymarket.

Well I like the bridge a lot, and it adds the energy Van's talking about. As for the building, it looks like something we'd all regret. It's not bad, but we could do better. And where are all the people? If this is a park, where are the people coming from? The museum may help define the space, but it contributes very few new people. Maybe if the Harbor Towers Project is built and succeeds in activating the street level with retail and the residents, we'll get some solid life on the Greenway, and this museum will help.

As of now, the museum says nothing. It sits quietly on the edge of the Greenway waiting for some other building to create the lively parkway envisioned by so many.

And, I have just about zero faith this will get built as planned. The food market would be nice, though.

And Ellsbury just made a real nice grab.

The bridge just reminds me of the elevated expressway this was all supposed to replace.

The building is unremarkable. The museum looks gimmicky even in the renderings ("welcome center" quality), which seems likely to doom the market below to eventual Faneuil Hall-ness.

Actually what the inside rendering reminded me most of was the mall thing at the South St Seaport in NYC. That was supposed to be their version of Faneuil Hall/Quincey Market and it failed pretty bad (by failed I mean it is just a f-ing mall.)

Won't look like the renderings, which are unrealistic.

Phantasmagoric.

Judging by the Boston Museum's history as an organization, I think we can just assume that the bridge will never get built and that the final product will look nothing like what the renderings show. This group has gone through so many leadership changes and had such a bad fund raising record that I'll believe it when I see it (note: I'm not holding out hope).

All right, which one of you wrote this comment:

The stalled Greenway is testament to the NIMBY attitude that has plagued Boston for decades. No group(s) can collectively decide the design should be (surprise?) so now we argue about the perimeter. The utterly bland "no skyscraper, no modern, all brick" Boston model will rise to the top and create yet another sterilized "design by committee" look that permeates the city. The adjacent neighborhoods should define perimeter content, not an urban planner with committees that create utterly dull spaces fit for automatons.

The Greenway should be just that--green open space with plantings of native trees and shrubs with horticultural displays appropriate for our climate. To have nothing built on the Greenway is ridiculous. It creates a wasteland to get through, rather than a green space to linger in and enjoy. There should be strategically placed cafes/restaurants, 2 or 3 oasis of cultural interest and pleasant areas to rest. The model is called Central Park in Manhattan. This is another Boston bow-tied, over intellectualized approach to reinvent the wheel . . .

I love how people say "open space" and "green space". If that is how you think then that is what you get; we have an open and green space and it is shit. It is shit because what we need is a "park" and a "park" is just like any other urban actor, it needs to be defined and constructed. A "park" is a sense is the Ying to a neighborhood's Yang.

Open/Green space is just a PC term that means nothing. Everyone likes green open spaces! Well a park is a green open space but a green open space is not a park.

The Greenway (what a lame name, no?) is green open space with a few parks along the way. We don't need green open space here, we need buildings AND parks.

Maybe the Greenway name could work if they covered it in PR and said they meant the "Sustainable-way" and require all the new buildings to be LEED-silver minimum.

That comment contradicts itself:

The Greenway should be just that--green open space with plantings of native trees and shrubs with horticultural displays appropriate for our climate. To have nothing built on the Greenway is ridiculous.

What?

I think the Greenway has potential but for the amount of money that we have spent on this strip I am not sure this project was ever economically feasible. The entire Big DIG costs 20 Billion. The Average Joe 40+ couldn't afford a studio in this city without a car. So all this Bright Lights and Beautiful structures make no sense when our state and city govt. are running massive deficts.

Anything that this city or state presents or maintains mean more TAXES so I am against the beautiful design that was proposed for the GREENWAY. I believe we need more private money to lead our direction.

The Mass Pike & Boston are fussing over how much they should spend on gilded frivolity while they are in bankruptcy.

There is no reason that each and EVERY Big Dig parcel shouldn't be auctioned off to the highest private bidder.

It would pull us out of this transit financial black hole that we are in. The T wouldn't cut service or cost $5/ride. Tolls could be eliminated, and the gas tax could stay low.

And in return, we would have the removal of a barren green wasteland that cuts a scar right through the middle of our urban core

Replaced with vibrant city life - cafes, shops, condos, hotels, offices, etc.

But why make so much sense? This is Boston, let's continue to fret over the drapes while the house burns down.

There is no leadership. Nobody is willing to ever make bold choices. Nobody wants to take a stand. Everything is consensus-driven, mindless drivel by career hacks.

This shitty little Greenway is a snake, wrapping around our urban core, choking our city.

Pelhamhall Well Said..............Excellent post.

City is getting choked by city politics. Keep raising taxes thats the answer until every company is bankrupt.

Back