Roux Institute Campus Development | Portland

According to the published (anticipated) schedule, development of the Phase 1 Site Plan should be starting soon. Looks like they're still hoping for Q1 approval and Q2 shovels.

Is Phase 1 just the renovation of the former bean factory building or does it also include the IDEALS building and/or housing??

Is Phase 1 just the renovation of the former bean factory building or does it also include the IDEALS building and/or housing??

The Roux Campus will be developed in phases with the first phase likely to include learning, research and collaboration spaces, lab and office space for collaborating partners, an entrepreneurial incubator, faculty and student housing, and a small campus hotel. Additional collaboration, commercial and retail spaces will be added as this multi-purpose development becomes fully realized.

asdf;lkjasd;ljf.jpg

That's an ambitious first phase! It's hard to imagine all of that will be happening simultaneously, but maybe they've realized they can't wait 4-5 years to get the diversity and intensity of uses they need to make the campus successful.

That's an ambitious first phase! It's hard to imagine all of that will be happening simultaneously, but maybe they've realized they can't wait 4-5 years to get the diversity and intensity of uses they need to make the campus successful.
Maybe they're already turning down a large number of students, but Northeastern also has a big endownment, lots of assets, and they have experience launching campuses (13). Portland isn't also not a hard sell these days.

Wondering when the cod building demo is going to happen - site lists it as future. Wondering if it got historic approvals?

Exciting stuff. After this build and the new USM Portland and UM business and law schools are humming along--and UNE's new medical school--I'd say Portland kind of goes up a level in higher education. And I think if Roux improves the neighboring marina a bit and provides a comfy covered shuttle boat (like the Encore in Boston does connecting the Seaport) back and forth to the waterfront near Maine State Pier, this school will become even more enticing. Unrelated but related, if I had some extra cash I would buy one or several fixer upper homes surrounding USM. I've noticed some substantial remodeling going on, and I have no doubt that the new USM will become a MUCH bigger focus than it currently is. The 580 beds in the new dorm will fill up fast.

I saw the article talking about the iconic Baked Beans sign coming down. Any updates from anyone on progress on demo or updated plans? It’s been a while since I’ve heard anything

Neighborhood meeting tomorrow night where they're going to show current plans and renderings of this phase before they are submitted to the city. I can't make it, but if anyone wants to watch and report back you can sign up for the Zoom link here.

Just a few more screen grabs of slides from the presentation.

The presenters noted that the granite facade of the academic building is intended to be an homage to the Bailey Island Bridge. They also drew attention to the use of mass timber seen in the third screen shot included below.

They mentioned a planned construction start date of summer 2024 and hope to open the campus in 2027.

D79AD839-41A0-4081-88BA-2923BEF56D02.png
FA63F03F-3EAC-4BAB-A682-864ED016B0D2.png
9270E10E-A813-43E0-B2CB-0B7C52AA8A2D.png
E7B96775-6962-4680-ACCB-4BAE0FF368BB.png

Attachments

• 20980FE2-7247-4386-9BCA-036474EE1A21.png
    20980FE2-7247-4386-9BCA-036474EE1A21.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 42
Futuristic which is good considering that is its purpose. Looks a little sterile, lifeless, though. The current location is teeming with life--hotels, restaurants, the harbor and its boat traffic...

I wonder what the plan is if they aren't building housing in phase 1 - did they talk about that? I would think that would increase traffic quite a bit if students and faculty have to travel offsite for housing.

Also, earlier this week I realized just how visible this is going to be from the eastern prom - not sure why I hadn't thought of this angle sooner:

oiuhyas;edljkfh;ljadsf.jpg

Futuristic which is good considering that is its purpose. Looks a little sterile, lifeless, though. The current location is teeming with life--hotels, restaurants, the harbor and its boat traffic...
The wealthy don't like garish, overwrought design.....much like Colby's new buildings and landscape.....this seeks to work in harmony with the natural world that surrounds it.

The Bean Building? No, the other beans! 🤣

The "one big academic building" reminds me of Bryant U. in Rhode Island. My niece goes there and almost all of their classrooms are in one large building called - I shit you not - the Omnistructure. Beautiful campus, weird idea. This LRC reminds me of that.

The wealthy don't like garish, overwrought design.....much like Colby's new buildings and landscape.....this seeks to work in harmony with the natural world that surrounds it.
You obviously haven't seen some of the McMansions built with new money. The nouveau riche definitely have a flair for the ostentatious! LOL

I quite like the academic building and the overall layout of the campus - but I'm not sure how I feel about having a 7-story parking garage being sort of the prominent thing people see when driving by? I was hoping the parking areas would be more disguised within the other buildings or something, though maybe that just wasn't feasible. It looks like there is a child care center attached, so maybe that will help break things up a bit.

Back