Roxbury parcels 9 & 10 | Melnea Cass Blvd | Roxbury

I ride by here on my bike quite frequently. There has been a surge in activity over the past few months, after essentially a year of nothing. Good to see it approaching completion, but I hadn't realized it would be a hotel. I'd have preferred apartments.

Mention that next time you see Tom Menino ...

I ride by here on my bike quite frequently. There has been a surge in activity over the past few months, after essentially a year of nothing. Good to see it approaching completion, but I hadn't realized it would be a hotel. I'd have preferred apartments.

What a lost opportunity. This is worse than the Seaport.

For what amounts to the first significant investment in the area this seems like a good project to me. If this is a success perhaps we'll see other larger scale projects in the future. It's obviously not a terrible neighborhood but it is almost surrounded by housing projects and offers very little in terms of neighborhood amenities so I think they'd have struggled to fill a larger building.

This part of Boston should have become a world class neighborhood......

So sad Melnea Cass continues to be ground zero of the vanquished/ devoid of life post-urban wasteland.

This part of Boston should have become a world class neighborhood......

So sad Melnea Cass continues to be ground zero of the vanquished/ devoid of life post-urban wasteland.

Once the "Greater Ink Block" area finishes its transition from parking lots and industry to contemporary South End, the area bound by Mass Ave, Washington St, and Melnea Cass will be next.

Jeez, you guys are being overly harsh, no?

Yes, a whole lot more could have been done with this lot, but we could say that about most of the projects going up in the area.

When I lived in Boston, no one would have invested in building a hotel in the area. I think this is project is a good thing.

Let's start with some solid small steps, like this one, and let's hope the city encourages more development and jobs in the area.

Mod, according to the BPDA site this project has been completed.

Thanks much.

This is refreshing!!!!

A bland box with useless open space. At Alewife I groan but here it's just everything wrong with how we plan American cites. Haven't updated the zoning codes in 60 years? No problem as long as there is development. Roxbury continues to suffer.

Web site for the apartment portion of this complex is live. They're calling it "The Melnea": https://www.livemelnea.com

1-bedroom, 687 sq ft apartments start at $2,625/mo and go up to over $3,500/mo for a 2-bedroom.

A bland box with useless open space. At Alewife I groan but here it's just everything wrong with how we plan American cites. Haven't updated the zoning codes in 60 years? No problem as long as there is development. Roxbury continues to suffer.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "useless open space" you're referring to is the South Bay Harbor Trail. The trail provides a connection between the Southwest Corridor Park Trail and--ultimately--the Boston Harborwalk. A couple apparent gaps exist, but will likely be resolved/mitigated for with the completion of The Abbey Group's Exchange South End and ongoing improvements near the Broadway T station.

I won't argue about the architecture, but I disagree with your assertion this is a "useless open space". The development of these parcels and ongoing investment in the South Bay Harbor Trail further activate the Roxbury neighborhood and sew connections, which objectively is great for the neighborhood.

South Bay Harbor trail and the original alignment of the MBTA Urban Ring that never quite made it... Hopefully by leaving it open they leave that possibility open for the future.

Back