Scarborough, ME

If you have not yet taken the opportunity to explore The Downs in Scarborough I highly recommend doing so. I was in the area yesterday and was highly impressed with what they are creating. Aceto Landscape Architects have done a tremendous job of designing this mixed use development. Especially impressive is the high density residential portion of the project. The apartments, condos and homes though situated quite closely together have been nestled in and amongst the existing woodlands which gives an impression of a more mature neighborhood. The streetscapes and green spaces are thoughtfully planned out and feature extensive plantings that will mature into a beautiful, highly livable environment. Aceto should be hired by the city of Portland to develop a new urban development master plan. Aceto is also the firm that created the plans for the Nightengale (former Mercy Hospital State St. facility). If I were not retired I would be looking to work for Aceto.
: )

The only problem with the Downs is that they're held to Scarborough's onerous parking minimums and the Planning Board has been unwilling to budge and allow exceptions. The "Town Center" is going to be surrounded by surface parking lots.

The only problem with the Downs is that they're held to Scarborough's onerous parking minimums and the Planning Board has been unwilling to budge and allow exceptions. The "Town Center" is going to be surrounded by surface parking lots.
The Town Center could have been Maine's Walnut Creek (CA)....sigh.

This development is becoming a HUGE success because of the location, for one, and two, it's focused with housing first, not second. Rock Row has become a de facto bust because it has not. I went to the new Costco on its fringe, and it is spectacular, everything it should be, which is that all products are marked up by only 9%. This means that anything in there, of which they beat down the manufacturers to get the lowest price, will be the lowest that one can find anywhere. It has their always enjoyable tastings stations, and the ridiculously large TVs at ridiculously low prices. It's a misnomer as The Downs are actually the Ups, and it will keep going that way too.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2024-forecast-the-downs-looks-to-transformative-year

This development is becoming a HUGE success because of the location, for one, and two, it's focused with housing first, not second. Rock Row has become a de facto bust because it has not. I went to the new Costco on its fringe, and it is spectacular, everything it should be, which is that all products are marked up by only 9%. This means that anything in there, of which they beat down the manufacturers to get the lowest price, will be the lowest that one can find anywhere. It has their always enjoyable tastings stations, and the ridiculously large TVs at ridiculously low prices. It's a misnomer as The Downs are actually the Ups, and it will keep going that way too.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/2024-forecast-the-downs-looks-to-transformative-year
I'm not 100% sold on the location being on the edge of the industrial park, would have rather seen it at the Payne/Haigis intersection. Something else is going in there now, but it would have been on the back side of the "town center"

I'm not 100% sold on the location being on the edge of the industrial park, would have rather seen it at the Payne/Haigis intersection. Something else is going in there now, but it would have been on the back side of the "town center"
It's going to be a damn car dealership....talk about a waste of prime real estate.

Back