School for Urban Planning

MonopolyBag

Reaction score
I may be interested in going back to school for Urban Planning. I never finished college, but have one year, but never did so well. What schools in the area have good Urban Planning undergraduate degrees? And must you get a Masters to get any type of position in Urban Planning/Development?

Many people interested in urban planning attend schools that have no defined urban planning curriculum. Undeterred, they major instead in fields like Political Science, Economics, Geography, Environmental studies/GIS, etc. You do NOT need a graduate degree in UP to work in the planning field, but that said, most of the advertised positions seek someone with a masters (and without a masters, income and advancement will be less). Also, you do not need an undergraduate degree in UP to pursue a masters in UP. My suggestion is finish up college and try to bring your grades up a bit, then apply to a master's program. If you would like to work in a major city, accredidation of the program will become important for job prospects. If you plan on remaining in Manchester or smaller cities in New England, any program, will do. Some places also offer certificate programs, where you only take a few core classes. That, along with a relevant undergrad degree, may be enough to get your foot in the door at a small town planning department or planning firm.

Yeah, I am living in Salem NH now. My biggest problem is that I currently run a business servicing aquariums. I want to continue this but I also kinda want to explore other options. I just seem to have an interest in UP. So I don't know yet. Probably what I should do is finish school. I do want to start a retail store for aquariums so... I got no idea. But I hear ya regarding any program will do. SO possibly I will try to conquer a few more classes a few here and there and see where that takes me.

You are basically in the same place I was 6 years ago. I discovered that most UP programs are Masters and I needed to finish my BA somewhere. I decided to get mine in Geography since I love maps (yes, that was my entire thought process). I ended up going to Hunter College in NYC which also happens to have a good UP Masters program. I graduated in January and I'm not sure I want to do UP anymore but if I did I would go back to Hunter.

PM me if you want more specifics. Right now I'm looking at Masters programs at other schools, but that has more to do with just checking out the options, ya know?

Edit: I didn't see the thing about you running your own business. That kinda complicates things, but then you knew that already. :)

Yup, it sure does. I am probably going to stick with running my own business for now and continue my plan to open a retail location.

Has anyone heard anyone talking about Northeastern's Master of Urban and Regional Policy program? It's only been up for a couple years, I believe?

http://www.northeastern.edu/murp/

Getting 25% as a Huskie is quite an incentive.

I actually just finished my first semester in the program. If you have any questions feel free to PM about it.

I'm considering taking a couple courses in the Spring in BU's City Planning graduate program. Anybody here have experience in it?

If you were interested in a career of real estate development with a considerable interest in TOD's and smart growth,which graduate degree do you think would be most appropriate/interesting?
A) Northeastern's Masters in Urban & Regional Policy - I'm an NU alum, so this one always pops up.
B) Boston University's Masters in City Planning - On the plus side, it's on my bike-commute home from work everyday.
C) MIT's Master of Science in Real Estate Development - Last I checked, I'll need to get 5 to 10 years of professional real estate experience first before I can participate in this program.
D) Other local suggestions?

Has anyone participated, or know anyone who has participated, in the Harvard Graduate School of Design "Career Discovery" Program?

It runs six weeks during the summer and appears to be geared toward the recently-graduated who are considering graduate studies in urban design/planning.

But, do you really get anything out of this or is it just wheel-spinning or just a way for Harvard to get some money out of you? It costs $2,985 (plus housing, if needed).

Exploring a new perspective, testing limits, expanding potential. These concepts are central to the design and planning professions—and central to what Career Discovery offers. Our students spend most of their time, including evenings and weekends, in a stimulating studio environment at the GSD that mirrors a graduate level studio experience. They learn to analyze any challenge from multiple angles, pursuing new ways of thinking and seeking out creative solutions. In the studio, a student’s participation, dedication, and enthusiasm are essential to success.

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/academic-programs/career-discovery/about-the-program.html

I did Career Discovery in Summer 2001. Great experience. But yes, expensive.

I just got accepted to Boston University's Master of City Planning program and wanted to thank all of the people on these forums for keeping me well-informed over the years of all the exciting developments being built throughout Boston.

Thank you.

I just got accepted to Boston University's Master of City Planning program and wanted to thank all of the people on these forums for keeping me well-informed over the years of all the exciting developments being built throughout Boston.

Thank you.

CONGRATZ!

That's wicked awesome! :)

Please share all your studies. Film all your lectures. Scan all your literature. :p

Back