Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

The fact that the Convention Center and BRA both interpreted their agency's respective missions to include speculative investment in a private company -- to the tune of $21 million -- is troubling regardless of how this thing ends up.

The fact that the Convention Center and BRA both interpreted their agency's respective missions to include speculative investment in a private company -- to the tune of $21 million -- is troubling regardless of how this thing ends up.

Sicil -- the troubling part is the way that there was no separation between the public and private aspects of things.

I would support the public investment in the place of the Tea Party -- or its recreation -- after all we owe it to the the future to preserve the places where the great events which got us here actually occurred

In Boston proper there are a few places where the foundation of the American Revolution are palpable and "real":

1) The Old Statehouse and the spot where the Massacre occurred
2) The remaining streets and buildings from the 18th Century near to the Union Oyster House where the Sons of Liberty walked and talked
3) Paul Revere's House, statue and Christ Church aka Old North and the lanterns
4) Faneuil Hall & Old South Meeting House where the Revolution went from the coffee shoppe and tavern into the general action -- aka the locker-room for the Tea Party
5) Dorchester Heights where Washington won the Siege of Boston -- our first major victory of the Revolution
6) Bunker Hill / Breeds Hill site of the eponymous misplaced battle -- the first pitched battle of the Revolution

Missing from the list is the actual (deeply buried under landfill) or closest to it possible venue where the Tea Party happened -- if an entrepreneur is willing to put private money into a re-creation and celebration of the Tea Party with real ships built to historic scale with appropriate materials and building practice -- Huzzah to him --- just as Raytheon built the White's of their Eyes pavilion in Charlestown to celebrate and explain the Battle of Bunker Hill

A great list, whighlander.

Worthy of memorializing somehow, for anyone who wants to visit these authentic locations.

A great list, whighlander.

Worthy of memorializing somehow, for anyone who wants to visit these authentic locations.

Thanks Sicil -- I think the best way is a website and a companion "Ap" for your smart phone as you do your walking and viewing

Indeed one of the key positive features proposed for the Tea Party museum and ships is the ability to walk the onto the ships and then do some multimedia re-enacting when you are in the on-shore museum

If they pull it off -- it could turn into an iconic Boston tourist site which could form the centerpiece of the redo of the Fort Point Channel shores including the USPS facility and yes even the Barking Crab

Now after the New Balance plan -- what the SPID needs to compete is for PG Gillette to build a "History of Body Hair and Shaving Museum" :=}

Actually, to run with your half-serious idea, Westie, maybe it would be cool if Jim Davis and New Balance opened a museum or other public exhibit about shoes and shoemaking in general, as well as the industry's connection to the region.

Nike and Oregon can probably lay claim to inventing the running shoe, but maybe the claim could be made that the mass-produced shoe or the sneaker was pioneered in New England, and New Balance could play up that tie to one of the birthplaces of manufactured footwear (especially given their continuing manufacturing operations in the area, and the fact that this is a large part of their identity)?

After all, Lynn, Malden, Lowell and other mill towns helped give birth to footwear as we know it, and MA has been, or is, home to the likes of Reebok, Converse, Rockport, Stride Rite, Saucony, Bostonian, Sperry Top-Sider. A bit farther afield, you have the likes of Timberland in NH and Cole Haan in Maine, among others.

Not sure if any company (NB included) wants to build a museum that includes their competitors ... but they could be a large contributor to a museum built with funds coming from other sources (e.g., Paul Fireman) as well ...

Not to mention Puma, with USA design team in the Marine Industrial Park (Design Center). I think they are still over there.

Amusingly and apropos of the above, I'm writing this from a Kiev McDonald's, where the guy to my left at the cashier was wearing New Balances and the guy to my right was in Timberlands.

They're both highly aspirational brands in Ukraine/Russia (as is McDonald's), and Timberland has been rolling out specialty shops in the capitals of the former USSR. (Not sure where the other guy got his NB's, though ... probably a trip to the US?)

Actually, to run with your half-serious idea, Westie, maybe it would be cool if Jim Davis and New Balance opened a museum or other public exhibit about shoes and shoemaking in general, as well as the industry's connection to the region.

Nike and Oregon can probably lay claim to inventing the running shoe, but maybe the claim could be made that the mass-produced shoe or the sneaker was pioneered in New England, and New Balance could play up that tie to one of the birthplaces of manufactured footwear (especially given their continuing manufacturing operations in the area, and the fact that this is a large part of their identity)?

After all, Lynn, Malden, Lowell and other mill towns helped give birth to footwear as we know it, and MA has been, or is, home to the likes of Reebok, Converse, Rockport, Stride Rite, Saucony, Bostonian, Sperry Top-Sider. A bit farther afield, you have the likes of Timberland in NH and Cole Haan in Maine, among others.

Not sure if any company (NB included) wants to build a museum that includes their competitors ... but they could be a large contributor to a museum built with funds coming from other sources (e.g., Paul Fireman) as well ...

Itch -- you've got a cause -- get some of those Neuvo Russo-Uke B$illionares to invest

Not sure which thread to post this in anymore, so posting it here...

From yesterday, we have visible progress!

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

Boston Globe article on four sub-areas within the Innovation district.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/innoeco/2012/02/the_innovation_districts_four.html

Note especially the following:

" Marine Industrial Park. Filling up with companies that design new organisms, mosaic-making robots, and energy storage systems. Everyone bumps into one another at the Au Bon Pain on the first floor. The complex has less to do with the marine world than it once did, but the cinder-block-walls still make the place feel pretty industrial. "

You have to squint really hard to ignore all of the great financial services, fishing, and brewing activity that takes place in the district. It's also home to Au Bon Pain's headquarters, a working dry dock, the Boston Convention and Expo Center, and a couple of vast parking lots.

A couple?

Anyone with working eyes would probably have the opposite take: you have to squint really hard to see all this activity beyond the parking.

The first office tower at Fan Pier, One Marina Park Drive, houses more than 100 small start-ups

100!?

Went to the BRA today and checked out the wood model. Does anyone know how old their Fan Pier section is? Those may be the latest Vertex models we have, or they could just be very old... Sorry no pics.

A couple?

Anyone with working eyes would probably have the opposite take: you have to squint really hard to see all this activity beyond the parking.

100!?

MassChallenge is located there. It is a startup incubator and the 'companies' may only have 1 - 4 people in a cube.

My understanding is that none of those companies are paying for space at One Marina Park Drive, and none expect to remain when the lease term is up.

The leases actually expired last year but the City of Boston (probably BRA) negotiated an extension with Fallon. Not sure when the term is up.

Re: Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Seaport is going to have alot of trouble to even get to the Kendal Square situation. There is a reason why Kendal, Porter, Harvard, Davis have all evolved so unique, its called location. MIT (Broad Institute), HARVARD, TUFTS which has great access to the Red Line.

Unless we get a corporation that relocates its entire base and requests for million square feet, I think SPID will end up being a suburban box building disaster.
Rates are the lowest in the real-estate market in history under 4%.
Residential Housing will not be a community affair in that area. I see two demographic groups gravitating to the SPID area
#1 Upcoming Business Executives
#2 Overseas Rich college grad students

On the building of the residential units
If interest rates are under 4% who in their right mind is going buy 300-500ft studios apartments for 300K in an area that doesn't even have an underground T to walk to?
The numbers don’t work unless we get more demand…….which would be 2 factors for this area.
#1 Major Tenant moves to the area which could support the demand
#2 More taxpayers money to fund the entire foundations of the area. But the demand is missing. Unless the residential units are priced right. I don't see how the builders can make money in this area without housing being priced cheaper than DTX. (maybe JKeith comments could help me on this point for better explanation)

Please somebody tell me how SPID is going to have a neighborhood feel especially with the two demographic groups that I think would actually buy real estate in this area?
I'm calling it now SPID=BUST.......Reason why is just the lack of planning. They are slamming whatever they can build in an area that had unlimited potential but never focused on the infrastructure first.
Something will be built and everybody will say oh thats nice but in the end the city planners get a big F for this entire debacle.

Last edited:

^Rifleman

The Seaport is a multi-decade project -- it can't be judged by current market conditions, interest rates, etc.

The micro-units you focus on are only a tiny fraction of residential units planned or possible. Viable or not, micro-units are a novelty to stimulate buzz. Not worth worrying about.

Whatever the price of residential (luxury or otherwise), increasing residential density in the Seaport lowers pressure on housing prices in the area (e.g. Southie). So there will be a positive bump for all market sectors regardless of type. Naturally, it would be preferable if housing met a variety of sectors, but the market will be the determinant.

I think the MAIN variables at play, factoring in whether or not a neighborhood evolves are:

1. Market demand for office space and hotels may continue to defer and consequently extinguish opportunities to develop a critical mass of residential.

2. General layout of large stumpy blocks may not be amenable to a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood.

^^^^
Sicilian,
But you forget that Cambridge could be consider a multi-decade project which basically went through some serious UP & DOWN business cycles that have finally panned out for a serious positive spin for the area.

I don't see the same outcome for SPID. Cambridge always had the infrastructure and it continue to improve when the colleges started to really expand.
**What will expand near SPID overtime? VERTEX.....They might end moving to the suburbs for cheaper real estate when their lease is up. I actually believe SPID has become a very risky real estate play in this current economy. Like I have always said without taxpayers generous gifts all these developers probably would be sitting on there land.
The First thing the city should have planned about 10 years ago was
A new massive MBTA grid around SPID which right away would have increased the value of the developers land by 10fold. Easy access to the city which all of sudden you will get demand because its so accessible. The Silver-line will not be enough for that area.

SPID will not survive just off the waterfront high-end restaurants & luxury condos. Right now its defintely the hot-spot in the city because there is plenty of parking & very spacious eating arrangements.

ON a postive spin. The restaurants and luxury condos for the two demographic groups I claimed in my last rant will end up doing fine in the area. I just don't see this area like Cambridge I see it like a Suburban Rich Office Park near the city.

I personally don't see that as success for an area that had unlimited amounts of potential.

I just don't see this area like Cambridge I see it like a Suburban Rich Office Park near the city

And this makes it different from Cambridge (Kendall) how?

Seaport is going to have alot of trouble to even get to the Kendal Square situation. There is a reason why Kendal, Porter, Harvard, Davis have all evolved so unique, its called location. MIT (Broad Institute), HARVARD, TUFTS which has great access to the Red Line.

Unless we get a corporation that relocates its entire base and requests for million square feet, I think SPID will end up being a suburban box building disaster.
Rates are the lowest in the real-estate market in history under 4%.
Residential Housing will not be a community affair in that area. I see two demographic groups gravitating to the SPID area

On the building of the residential units
If interest rates are under 4% who in their right mind is going buy 300-500ft studios apartments for 300K in an area that doesn't even have an underground T to walk to?
The numbers don’t work unless we get more demand…….which would be 2 factors for this area.
#1 Major Tenant moves to the area which could support the demand
#2 More taxpayers money to fund the entire foundations of the area. But the demand is missing. Unless the residential units are priced right. I don't see how the builders can make money in this area without housing being priced cheaper than DTX. (maybe JKeith comments could help me on this point for better explanation)

Please somebody tell me how SPID is going to have a neighborhood feel especially with the two demographic groups that I think would actually buy real estate in this area?
I'm calling it now SPID=BUST.......Reason why is just the lack of planning. They are slamming whatever they can build in an area that had unlimited potential but never focused on the infrastructure first.
Something will be built and everybody will say oh thats nice but in the end the city planners get a big F for this entire debacle.

Riff -- you were doing much better for a while -- now you fallen back into load, fire, aim every once in a while

You wrote: "Seaport is going to have alot of trouble to even get to the Kendal Square situation. There is a reason why Kendal, Porter, Harvard, Davis have all evolved so unique, its called location. MIT (Broad Institute), HARVARD, TUFTS which has great access to the Red Line.' -- first Red Line had nothing to do with it.

Kendall became the Kendall / Cambeidge Center which some on this forum appatently love to hate -- because of cheap available land right next to MIT (the old industrial land cleared for NASA) coulpled with MIT's investment in the land (e.g. Tech Square) and some additional decision by Draper to set-up its new shop on Broadway -- but even after that there were seveeral failed interations (e.g. AI Alley) before Whitehead put his money into the place and then things started to move when the Human Genome Project came along and Whitehead did a large part of the sequencing, Biogen, Genzyme, Amgen and then finally Novartis and Broad began building big dedicated facilities.

then you wrote "Unless we get a corporation that relocates its entire base and requests for million square feet, I think SPID will end up being a suburban box building disaster." -- of course we just got one in Vertex and the amount was exactly 1 M sq. ft. in the two towers in Fan Pier currently under construction

So your barrel was already fouling -- but you kept firing: '"Residential Housing will not be a community affair in that area. I see two demographic groups gravitating to the SPID area
" -- what about the possibly thousand or so people who are likely to be working in the SPID both for new companies such as Vetex as well as established companies in the district and then there are the commuters on foot to the FID

But you kept firing -- not even looking at the target: "who in their right mind is going buy 300-500ft studios apartments for 300K in an area that doesn't even have an underground T to walk to? " -- actually of course it does have an underground T (2 Silver Line stations) are easibly in walkng distance of most of new buildings underway in the SPID and South Station is a short walk from the older Summer Street end

I do agree that the long-term planning needs to include more transportation infrastructure such as other unerground branches of the SL going to the various key parts of the SPID

and eventually I think that an additional Red Line stop is needed when the U.S.P.S. situation gets resolved -- but actually the readily acheivable transit potential for the SPID is better than Kendal / Cambridge Center

Finally -- you fired once more -- "Please somebody tell me how SPID is going to have a neighborhood feel especially with the two demographic groups that I think would actually buy real estate in this area?"

SPID can have a neighborhood feel if enough people start full-time living in it -- this is still un-realized potential of the district -- but people are starting to occupy the newly built housing and more is in the pipeline -- again retiurning to Kendal -- its only in the past few years that new residential construction or conversion of some of the old industrial propertes to residences has been underway -- even Kendal as a residenial area is still a work in progress -- you've got to give the SPID at least a decade from now

Riff -- you are bringing up some good and significant points -- but you've got to be more thorough in your research of the topics and more careful of what you post

Back