Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

The Summer Street steps at night. Not exactly iconic but pleasant enough -

View attachment 47180View attachment 47181View attachment 47182View attachment 47183View attachment 47184

The Foundation Medicine lobby mimics the stair theme, which is a nice touch -

View attachment 47185View attachment 47186

Wonderful pics, smuttynose, and much appreciated.

One thing that seems evident though is that Boston truly IS "The Home of the Bunt".

The stairs COULD have been iconic - - however it was decided to chop it up into small-space pieces (the trees in the middle columns, the side middle wood barriers,etc) - - -we've seen this same "let's cut the steak into small pieces" method with the the new Copley Square and the new City Hall Plaza. God forbid anything in Boston is ever dramatically expansive or sweeping. Puritanism/Calvinism still reigns in Boston. The one era where optimistic grandeur poked through was the Beaux Arts/Back Bay second half of the 19th century.

Wonderful pics, smuttynose, and much appreciated.

One thing that seems evident though is that Boston truly IS "The Home of the Bunt".

The stairs COULD have been iconic - - however it was decided to chop it up into small-space pieces (the trees in the middle columns, the side middle wood barriers,etc) - - -we've seen this same "let's cut the steak into small pieces" method with the the new Copley Square and the new City Hall Plaza. God forbid anything in Boston is ever dramatically expansive or sweeping. Puritanism/Calvinism still reigns in Boston. The one era where optimistic grandeur poked through was the Beaux Arts/Back Bay second half of the 19th century.
OK, but it is fair to remember that in the 1960's Boston City Hall and City Hall Plaza were designed to be iconic statements, and we all see how that turned out :unsure:

Local blog had a take on The Steps as well. Not sure why they're drumming up so many emotions, but alas they are. One day Seaport will be "finished" and I think it will be less irksome, but only time will tell.

Local blog had a take on The Steps as well. Not sure why they're drumming up so many emotions, but alas they are. One day Seaport will be "finished" and I think it will be less irksome, but only time will tell.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Seaport is outstanding - particularly the still developing Harborwalk (I cannot say enough good things about that). It's just when given a slow pitch to slam 500+ feet, Boston tends to want to bunt the runner over too often. THIS (like the new City Hall Plaza and Copley Square) is lovely.......and a solid, safe strategic play. The "Sensible Bostonian Way".

OK, but it is fair to remember that in the 1960's Boston City Hall and City Hall Plaza were designed to be iconic statements, and we all see how that turned out :unsure:

Good point, Jeff. But that was a different era - when Urban Renewal (when our civilization hated urbanity) was the buzz. That's like saying, the previous homeowner covered the kitchen floor with linoleum, and we know how that turned out.

Wow, a great accounting of the history of the South Boston waterfront district. Thanks!

I think they are drumming up so many emotions because they were over-the-top rendered and hyped as if they were grander than Rome's Spanish Steps and billed as the savior of the urban fabric of the Seaport.

As posted in BldUp:
Summer_Street_Stairs.png

As posted in Metropolis Magazine:
Summer-Steps-rendering.jpg

Think I am exaggerating? Hear it from designers (e.g., "powerful" "a respite in the city" etc):

Let me be clear: I actually like them. They are nice steps. But I do think peoples' emotional let-downs are understandable given how amped up the PR machine was for this.

I get that, I do. But, has anyone ever lived or operated in America before? Does every guy think their favorite stripper REALLY likes them?

Developers will always do this with the blue skies and happy people and glistening streetscapes. They’ll bend perspective and remove cars to serve the very literal purpose of PR. They’re not our friends, they’re making money etc etc

I get that, I do. But, has anyone ever lived or operated in America before? Does every guy think their favorite stripper REALLY likes them?

Developers will always do this with the blue skies and happy people and glistening streetscapes. They’ll bend perspective and remove cars to serve the very literal purpose of PR. They’re not our friends, they’re making money etc etc
I get what you are saying, but there is a line between artful exaggeration and outright dishonestly or deceit.

I get what you are saying, but there is a line between artful exaggeration and outright dishonestly or deceit.
Developers never show renderings of desolate wind swept plazas with trees devoid of leaves, ice caking every surface, and dirty snow banks impeding the sidewalk. That is reality in many New England winters, but you are never going to see it.

As one who has been to the Spanish steps in Rome twice, why not articulate and design something as grand, or with a more modern iteration? The potential is here.

IMO, it was/is presumptuous and preposterous P. R. to even attempt equating these steps with the Spanish Steps. At the top of the Spanish Steps is the 16th Century church, Trinita dei Monti, and the associated 16th Century Villa Medici, and its associated gardens. The church, the villa, and the gardens are state property of the Republic of France.

At the bottom of the steps is the Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Square) named for the Palazzo di Spagna, which fronts on the Piazza. This Palazzo was acquired by Spain in the mid 17th Century to serve as its embassy to the Holy See (Vatican). The Palazzo continues to serve as an embassy today. In one sense, the Spanish Steps connects national property of Spain with national property of France.

These steps in the Seaport simply connect one road with another road, and there is nothing monumental or historic at either end.
-------------------------------------------
Many thanks for posting the ;ink to the interesting and informative article in On the Channel.

As one who has been to the Spanish steps in Rome twice, why not articulate and design something as grand, or with a more modern iteration? The potential is here.
As one who has been to the Spanis steps in Rome well more than twice, can you outline precisely how you'd go about doing what you propose?

Everthing from the climate, to the surrounding structures and geography, to the actual height and scope of both steps/stairs being compared are all radically distinct.

I did read and do understand the "with a more modern iteration" aspect of your proposal/question, but I'd either need more explanation of what that phrase means to you, or more detail as to *how* you would achieve what you propose.

IMO, it was/is presumptuous and preposterous P. R. to even attempt equating these steps with the Spanish Steps. At the top of the Spanish Steps is the 16th Century church, Trinita dei Monti, and the associated 16th Century Villa Medici, and its associated gardens. The church, the villa, and the gardens are state property of the Republic of France.

At the bottom of the steps is the Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Square) named for the Palazzo di Spagna, which fronts on the Piazza. This Palazzo was acquired by Spain in the mid 17th Century to serve as its embassy to the Holy See (Vatican). The Palazzo continues to serve as an embassy today. In one sense, the Spanish Steps connects national property of Spain with national property of France.

These steps in the Seaport simply connect one road with another road, and there is nothing monumental or historic at either end.
-------------------------------------------
Many thanks for posting the ;ink to the interesting and informative article in On the Channel.
ding ding ding!

Developers never show renderings of desolate wind swept plazas with trees devoid of leaves, ice caking every surface, and dirty snow banks impeding the sidewalk. That is reality in many New England winters, but you are never going to see it.
yup!

IMO, it was/is presumptuous and preposterous P. R. to even attempt equating these steps with the Spanish Steps....

To clarify, I was simply mocking their PR when I stated "hyped as if they were grander than Rome's Spanish Steps"...I did not mean to imply they actually equated them. Now if they did somewhere in their marketing, that would be hilarious. But my post was just intended to poke fun at how over-the-top their PR campaign was.

To clarify, I was simply mocking their PR when I stated "hyped as if they were grander than Rome's Spanish Steps"...I did not mean to imply they actually equated them. Now if they did somewhere in their marketing, that would be hilarious. But my post was just intended to poke fun at how over-the-top their PR campaign was.

I remember the Globe writing about Courthouse Station on the Silver Line when it opened. I think they mentioned it was one of the grandest and most beautiful Metro Stations in the world to ever be built. I think I spit out my coffee laughing at that one. So, the tradition for "inflating" local landmarks/structures is a time honored tradition around here. :)

As one who has been to the Spanis steps in Rome well more than twice, can you outline precisely how you'd go about doing what you propose?

Everthing from the climate, to the surrounding structures and geography, to the actual height and scope of both steps/stairs being compared are all radically distinct.

I did read and do understand the "with a more modern iteration" aspect of your proposal/question, but I'd either need more explanation of what that phrase means to you, or more detail as to *how* you would achieve what you propose.
That would take a concerted effort by the developers of the buildings and spaces. I am only stating that there could be an opportunity to make this space unique because of the stairway idea and location with a contemporary feel, with newer materials and creative LED lighting. It would act as embellishment to the wood, rock, and greenery.

I remember the Globe writing about Courthouse Station on the Silver Line when it opened. I think they mentioned it was one of the grandest and most beautiful Metro Stations in the world to ever be built.\

In all fairness to the Globe, it is wildly overbuilt with what seems like more interior space* than all other downtowns combined, all in support of a one of the lowest capacity mass transit modes available. I was a year 1 rider and coming out of the huge, shiny station into a sea of parking lots was quite the experience. If anyone told me what the seaport would look like 20 years later, I would have laughed.

*Caveat: Most of it is currently off limits because it's being repaired or something

Back