Seaport Transportation

How would a d street tunnel connect to the Ted? If it has to come up and loop around to go in via the seaport again I feel like it's literally just kicking the can down the road. The back track in traffic loop is still idiotic.

It won't. You're thinking just in terms of the SL1 to Logan, and in that sense it would be just removing one obstacle. But if you remove that one obstacle, the SL2 is basically cured of ever having to interact with public roads until the Northern Ave roundabout and it's trip out into the Industrial Park, which doesn't have traffic issues. So the SL2 service will improve significantly, IMO.

Dorchester Ave is a no-brainer. Cars from Southie are forced to pass through the Seaport to get to anywhere near Dewey Square if they don't want to detour through the South End.

Do future plans for the Post Office/South Station Expansion involve keeping the road or not? If no, it might not be a great idea politically. Giving people it means they'll very pissed off when it gets taken away again.

A great overview of all current seaport transportation issues:
Oct 16th Globe

I suggest putting a toll on the South Boston Haul Road and opening it up to all traffic. Use dynamic tolling to keep it uncongested. Use the $ from the toll to pay for Seaport Projects (#1 would be SIlver Tunnel Under D)

17waterfront.jpg

T-under-D: This is non-negotiable. Remember, Conley Terminal is doubling in size and getting its own Haul Road to Summer St. Any big rig whose GPS misses the turn onto Pumphouse Rd. has to go around the block on D to get back on target. Signal priority tweaked to the nines won't mitigate that much heavier trucks than ever--coming to/from out of the area with subset of drivers not accustomed to the area--are going to be crossing the Silver Line there. And crossing because of driver confusion/distraction. The collision risk is going to increase faster than any tweaking around the edges can hope to decrease it. No beating around the bush...separate the damn thing before someone gets killed.

Southie Haul general traffic: Bad idea. Southie does not need another induced demand trap. Unrestricted traffic would go too fast on this shoulder-less road, and there's nowhere to distribute it on the regular grid once it dumps into BCEC. The Seaport streets are already too goddamn wide for distribution capacity.

Besides, Massport knows it's under-capacity. It was built pre-dating the port expansion, so the Conley and Marine Terminal plans specifically address that by putting more dedicated trucking on there. If they had managed to get the Post Office moved like they were supposed to, the USPS trucks from the new location would be using it. Demand tolling isn't really a factor; if there's a surcharge it can be applied from the terminals not on the road itself.

I agree that if there are going to be a shitload of private shuttles to consolidate that they should explore the Haul Road as a collector/distributor usable by the shuttles. And much like the Eastie Haul Road is being used by Silver Line Chelsea, it should be open to public transit. It's not a coincidence that it's laid out like a spot-on ideal Urban Ring feeder into the Transitway.

Dot Ave.: Absolutely agree. Though doing it in a meaningful way is difficult without resolving the USPS move. They can explore some limited ways now that are safely signaled to slip by the trucks backing out. But, really, just get it done already on the USPS relocation.

Ferries: Agree. Although the Globe might be overestimating the utilization here at a ferry terminal a lot less centrally located than Long Wharf and Rowes Wharf. It's going to be tough to find a route here that's load-bearing for commuter purposes.

Seaport DMU: Bleh. I've written at enough length about how this is no panacea because of the likely headways. The T's got so many problems to iron out with its Indigo plan with the over-focus on vehicles above service levels and fares that it's unrealistic to pin high expectations on it. Let this plan inch along in the background, but don't over-focus. Successful execution hinges on factors outside the Seaport like the state's sincerity or increasing lackthereof at executing the real Indigo service rollout. It's not worth getting too excited about until they show commitment across-the-board.

And the other obvious ones...like, build some @#$% SL1 direct access to the Ted. And repair the @#$% Transitway pavement, and study what speed improvements (signalization?) can improve pokey speeds underground.

I feel like a ferry to North Station would be useful, but unfortunately it wouldn't be that easy to get from North Station to any site east of the locks.

It won't. You're thinking just in terms of the SL1 to Logan, and in that sense it would be just removing one obstacle. But if you remove that one obstacle, the SL2 is basically cured of ever having to interact with public roads until the Northern Ave roundabout and it's trip out into the Industrial Park, which doesn't have traffic issues. So the SL2 service will improve significantly, IMO.

Do future plans for the Post Office/South Station Expansion involve keeping the road or not? If no, it might not be a great idea politically. Giving people it means they'll very pissed off when it gets taken away again.

The South Station expansion concepts all include reopening and reactivating Dot Ave. Some go farther and line Dot Ave with street facing retail and mixed use.

The South Station expansion concepts all include reopening and reactivating Dot Ave. Some go farther and line Dot Ave with street facing retail and mixed use.

Yeah, but they have to actually get this stalled USPS relocation deal back on track before that happens.

Since that's taking forever to resolve, this Globe proposal is looking more short-term...what kind of thru access is realistic with USPS still there?

It'll be tough because of the safety issues of trucks backing out. I think a full-size pedestrian sidewalk is feasible now and should get prioritized. And maybe some limited traffic when USPS trucks are least active (Sundays, nighttime). But as presently laid out the trucks back up out of the loading berths onto Dot. Ave. slowly and with a large blind spot. It's probably not safe for general, full-time traffic until the facility is completely relocated.

I noticed a very odd driving pattern that I think BTD is trying to get people to stop doing as well. At PM rush hour, most people heading towards I-93 North go west on Seaport Blvd and create a huge traffic jam that backs up nearly all the way back to the ICA. But there is another entrance at Congress St and B St that allows you to go west on I-90 and north on I-93. It's a little bit longer distance-wise but time-wise is MUCH faster. One day I happened to drive in and park in the big parking lot between Boston Wharf Rd and East Service Rd. When I left at 5:30 pm I was heading to I-93 North. The traffic along Seaport Blvd was epic. So I just went south to Congress and B St and hopped right on. There was no traffic at all going that way, either of surface streets or once I got into the tunnel. It was smooth sailing. I wonder how much traffic congestion is just people all trying to do the same way...

I feel like a ferry to North Station would be useful, but unfortunately it wouldn't be that easy to get from North Station to any site east of the locks.

Can't ferry originate from Lovejoy? That'll be pretty much North Station.

I noticed a very odd driving pattern that I think BTD is trying to get people to stop doing as well. At PM rush hour, most people heading towards I-93 North go west on Seaport Blvd and create a huge traffic jam that backs up nearly all the way back to the ICA. But there is another entrance at Congress St and B St that allows you to go west on I-90 and north on I-93. It's a little bit longer distance-wise but time-wise is MUCH faster.

Yeah, i think this is a big deal. One of the causes is that folks have to take that exit to get to the seaport from the north in the morning, because there's no 93S - 90E ramp at south bay. So they retrace their steps in the afternoon and it becomes a huge jam.

For what its worth, there's also a ramp to 90W from D street, right next to the SL portal.

(...and the truly intrepid have the option of taking the ted to the airport, doing a 360 around the airport loop, and then taking the sumner back to 93N for smooth sailing all the way up to where the zakim cantilever lanes reconnect with the main flow of traffic up by the gilmore bridge. But the ted itself is pretty ugly in the PM these days too... )

Blows my mind that so many people would sit in that queue every afternoon and never look for an alternate route....

Theres already water taxi service between North Station and five Seaport docks

Theres already water taxi service between North Station and five Seaport docks

Right, but what is missing is coordinated, frequent small ferry service that would replace the 20 odd surface bus shuttles that are run by companies.

A lot of it's MassPort land. How about MassPort kicks in some of those shiny new shuttles they've got running around Logan?

Seaport traffic solutions eyed
As development booms,short-term fixes sought

Dramatic, faster-than-anticipated growth projected for the South Boston’s Seaport District by 2035 — including a 72 percent increase in development, 9,190 new residents and 22,930 more jobs — further underscores the need for transportation system improvements, according to a new report released yesterday.

Per-person public and private transit trips are expected to increase 64 percent, and per-person vehicle trips are projected to climb 27 percent during peak morning and already-congested evening commuter periods, according to the report by Watertown consulting firm Vanasse Hangen Brustlin. Truck traffic on key roads is expected to climb 34 percent.

“Without expanding the capacity of existing services or adding new transit services, all (public) transit route demands are near or above maximum capacity under 2035 conditions,” the report states. “Although there are no existing or planned year-round water transportation routes providing services to the waterfront, water transportation may prove to be part of the solution.”

The data will be used as the basis for a new Seaport District transportation plan by the city, Massport, MassDOT and Massachusetts Convention Center Authority working with the nonprofit A Better City.

“The district needs more public-transit options; it needs to be more pedestrian-friendly,” MCCA executive director James Rooney said. “Some of the vehicular options need to be looked at — things like (using) the Bypass Road (and) Dorchester Avenue near the post office.”

The committee plans to release transportation recommendations in January that can be implemented in the short-term and the next three to 10 years in addition to longer-term recommendations for major investments that would require extensive capital.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/11/seaport_traffic_solutions_eyed

How can the growth be "faster than anticipated"? Development in the Seaport has been planned out for over a decade. The city and state have no excuse for getting caught with their pants down on congestion.

How can the growth be "faster than anticipated"? Development in the Seaport has been planned out for over a decade. The city and state have no excuse for getting caught with their pants down on congestion.

And ped friendliness. "Who knew that designing 90 ft. wide, 4-lane + left-turn lanes at every intersection, concrete-medianed, speed-trap streets as the backbone of this brand new cleanroomed street grid would cause problems for pedestrians?!?!"

Yeah this is a joke. They talked about a new Back Bay but planned something from 128. This is why going cheap with transportation projects always backfires. T under D, connecting the Green Line to Silver Line, or even expanding the Red Line through Ft Point would all be expensive but would have given the area the transit room it needs to grow. They spent billions on a new subway that really only succeeds in connecting South Station to Logan and while that is certainly noble it only gives lip service to the SBW. The Silver Line tunnel is going to be useless unless they can integrate it into the greater subway system (which granted WAS the original idea with Phase III but thank god that never got built).

The Transitway fails at connecting South Station to Logan ... a bus on the surface would do better.

You know it's funny.. wasn't too long ago we had all those articles proclaiming how Kendall Square increased development square footage by some ridiculous number while overall auto traffic levels managed to fall. It's not mentioned at all now. Why do they forget that success so quickly?

And ped friendliness. "Who knew that designing 90 ft. wide, 4-lane + left-turn lanes at every intersection, concrete-medianed, speed-trap streets as the backbone of this brand new cleanroomed street grid would cause problems for pedestrians?!?!"
For a long time, traffic engineers actually believed they were making it safer... ugh. Mostly because they never actually tried to walk around their own projects under normal conditions, trying to be like a normal person.

Traffic engineers only design streets to make cars safer. The silver lining is that they at least can redesign these arteries with street diets and make them much more pleasant to walk and bike.

Back