SHIFTboston

I highly doubt any of the TUTS finishes would be perm. I would assume all the tracks will stay and will be prominent features, as that is the subject of the museum (that's what I would do at least). If the MBTA ever does get expanded (in 2090) they could easily remove the spaces and access the tracks.

How realistic is this expansion you speak of? I think there's a better chance for TransNational Place than there is for an expansion of the GL using the Tremont tunnel on the horizon.

The High Line was an artsy pipedream and guess what? DS+R (a then still emerging firm) actually built it.

High Line was a rip off of Paris

Bastille Viaduct Linear Park in Paris -- on a railway viaduct built in the mid-1800s and disused since 1969. The park runs along the length of the viaduct, but in addition in the arches shops have been created. The Promenade Plantee (or Coulée verte) is 4.5 kilometers long, is in the 12th Arrondissement and runs from the Bastille Opera almost to the Bois de Vincennes. The Promenade was designed by Jacques Vergely (landscape architect) and Philippe Mathieux (architect).

http://www.boston.com/beyond_bigdig/cases/paris/index.shtml

Europeans have been doing this kind of repurposing for generations -- e.g. Budapest's 'T" museum in an abandoned tunnel has been there for a generation

Back