Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

I was looking through my old pictures and found something that would blow BRT haters minds.

IMG_0514.jpg

A trolley! How pretty! So much better than a bus! Nice smooth ride! Extra space!

But whats this?

IMG_0511-1.jpg

It runs on tires!

*heads explode*

Haha, definitely a strange hybrid. Still beats BRT by miles. The Montreal subway runs on rubber tires, too.

It's not BRT I have a problem with. If the Silver Line was really BRT it would be great, but it isn't.

Look at what I found on wikipedia

800px-SouthStationSL4shelter.agr.jpg

Definitely an improvement over the stops on washington street in terms of providing shelter. I like the solar panel (Boston meets 1998!)

I dont see the promised charlie card machine, instead there appears to be the machine they have on the d line for you to pay before boarding.

I still dont know how the left turn is handled by the bus, as it has to move from the rightmost lane to the leftmost. Was a dedicated signal installed?

A SL " train" and I butted heads on Stuart street and Washington. Train tried to make a left on Washington southwards, I making a left turn to Washington northwards. Train comes WAY too far into the intesectipn nearly whacking me and forcing me to reverese into oncoming traffic so it could turn, subsequently leaving me stranded in the intersection when I missed the light. Way to go left-turning SL!

A SL " train" and I butted heads on Stuart street and Washington. Train tried to make a left on Washington southwards, I making a left turn to Washington northwards. Train comes WAY too far into the intesectipn nearly whacking me and forcing me to reverese into oncoming traffic so it could turn, subsequently leaving me stranded in the intersection when I missed the light. Way to go left-turning SL!

The intersection does appear to be designed in a way that does not allow for left turns at the same time

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...868,-71.062884&spn=0.000519,0.001206&t=h&z=20

Is the "Dudley" on that sign supposed to indicate the destination? Seems somewhat confusing to me...shouldn't it at least say "Outbound to Dudley" or something?

Look at what I found on wikipedia

800px-SouthStationSL4shelter.agr.jpg

Definitely an improvement over the stops on washington street in terms of providing shelter. I like the solar panel (Boston meets 1998!)

I dont see the promised charlie card machine, instead there appears to be the machine they have on the d line for you to pay before boarding.

I still dont know how the left turn is handled by the bus, as it has to move from the rightmost lane to the leftmost. Was a dedicated signal installed?

I wondered the same thing about the traffic signal and it appears that they have to fight traffic to get over. I go to the BSC at South Stattion and watched how they did this. It's not too bad as there is not a lot of traffic coming down the street.

Aw, looks like someone actually thought this through! And yes, thats the new map too.
IMG_3426-1.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

If I were to dig for complaints, then I would say that while this is good, it gives no indication of how long until the other bus line is coming. But thats digging really.

Now, who said BRT lacks the capacity and frequency of a subway?

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431-2.jpg

That looks much longer than a green line train!

....and theres another one! 4 silver line articulated buses = 240 feet, or around the same as the blue line.
IMG_3432-2.jpg

Other side same deal
IMG_3434-1.jpg

6 buses in 40 seconds. Fortunately, buses can pass each other, something streetcars cannot do.

Even if BRT really were as efficient as a heavy rail subway (HA), I don't think anyone will get over the fact that it's a third world solution for the problems of a city in one of the country's richest states, and that it's no coincidence that it's routed to its poorest neighborhood, and vehemently defended despite the obvious hypocrisy of extending light rail through far less dense Somerville. (< / cliche rant >)

Anyway, uh, why is the "g" in arriving a capital letter? I'm guessing to fit it in the line, but it looks stoopid nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure Somerville is more dense than the Washington Street corridor.

I ride the subway..... I've ridden it everyday in the past for years. I appreciate the warning of the train coming. Just stating it for the record. Any improvement in bus service.... well, what the fuck, its an IMPROVEMENT. could it be better? Hell ya it could but this aint Epcot . That said, Boston step ya game up

Lets take a closer look at the shelter.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

Fail.
IMG_3727.jpg

Extra fail.
IMG_3728.jpg

Nice font!
IMG_3729.jpg

oooh, double sided!
IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

Wait, whats this?
IMG_3732.jpg

Either his transponder is off, ot the driver plans on sitting around for a while
IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

This was amazing. I saw two cars turning left from this street only to turn left on the next street....all without going in the bus lane!
IMG_3735.jpg

Anybody know why "Boston Marine Industrial Park" was renamed to "Design Center".

I think the old name made much more sense, Ive never heard of this design center.

Boston Design Center is a building; Boston Marine Industrial Park is the area it's located in.

So is there any sign that makes it obvious that you need to enter South Station to change buses? That map is totally deceiving.

Back