Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

Steel doesn't bulge.

Get rid of this BRT mess.

I have a feeling they would have used defective concrete ties, anyways. Face it, anything this corrupt agency touches is bound to be fucked.

I have a feeling they would have used defective concrete ties, anyways. Face it, anything this corrupt agency touches is bound to be fucked.

This is the same fallacious argument Milton Friedman has against government services. They're bound to be imperfect and corrupt, he says, so we shouldn't have them at all. Spot the problem with this.

Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc?

Okay, I admit I just like to use fancy Latin phrases.

Nice to see how all those overpriced useless shelters now have to have expensive additions to make them do what they should have in the first place.

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_projects/default.asp?id=19047

Silver Line-Washington Street Enhancements
  • ARRA-funded project to enhance existing Silver Line ?Washington St. shelters at 14 locations
  • Laminated glass/polycarbonate windscreens
  • New overhead radiant heating
  • Bus way pavement reconstruction as needed.
  • Busway painting to match Essex Street, to better define bus stop and reduce blockages
  • Partial reconstruction of adjacent crosswalks and curb ramps
Project completion anticipated Fall 2010
Silver1.jpg

Silver3.jpg

Don't be to quick to blame the T, city, state and federal government. I would bet it was the residents that were against having sides on the bus shelters - graffiti and posters. As far a I know the T has not discussed this with the area residents so far.

Don't be to quick to blame the T, city, state and federal government. I would bet it was the residents that were against having sides on the bus shelters - graffiti and posters. As far a I know the T has not discussed this with the area residents so far.

I'm a resident, no one was happy with the design of the shelters as far as not being shelters when they were first proposed. The crosswalks/curb cuts were also a big deal back then, and that turned out so well, now they are being rebuilt as part of this project.

I like the concept of heated windproof shelters (this design isn't close windproof and half the roof is now redundant), but I know damn well half the Pine Street Inn is going to be sleeping, or worse, when the heat is on in the wintertime. These stations should have been off the shelf from the Wall Corporation in the first place!

...but they're soooo ugly!

Mies totally would have designed the coolest bus shelters.

Lurker, maybe we can electrify them and shock the homeless. Or, failing that, send people around to knife them to death?

^^John, are you channeling Swift or Rand?

I can't even tell the difference anymore.

I'm just concerned that given the MBTA's record on cleanliness and policing heated shelters in the winter time are going to wind up as toilets and beds for the homeless too drunk, filthy, high, or crazy to be admitted to a rooming facility. The whole point of a bus stop shelter becomes moot if those actually waiting for the bus can't utilize the space due to presence of vagrants or worse their detritus.

I am in favor of the shelter improvements, however the MBTA and Pine Street Inn are going to have to do their part to keep the stops usable for commuters.

The silver line above ground stop at south station works well. Actual shelter, heated, probably much cheaper to build.

So now we know what they mean when they say "homeless shelter."

The Chicago El has heat stations that you can turn on for yourself for a few minutes at a time, and then turn off automatically. That's one way to deter people from sleeping under them.

The Chicago El has heat stations that you can turn on for yourself for a few minutes at a time, and then turn off automatically.

The old Charles Red Line station had these. I don't think the new one does (or needs them).

I'm a resident, no one was happy with the design of the shelters as far as not being shelters when they were first proposed. The crosswalks/curb cuts were also a big deal back then, and that turned out so well, now they are being rebuilt as part of this project.

I like the concept of heated windproof shelters (this design isn't close windproof and half the roof is now redundant), but I know damn well half the Pine Street Inn is going to be sleeping, or worse, when the heat is on in the wintertime. These stations should have been off the shelf from the Wall Corporation in the first place!

I'm a Green Line person (commute between Copley/Hynes and Audobon Circle), and wonder what was wrong with the shelters seen on the C Line? Or is that the style you're referring to?

The constant reinvention of the wheel on each line and bus-route-pretending-to-be-a-line feels counterproductive.

Back