Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

Has there been any serious discussion about bringing the Orange line back to Dudley Square. I think it would be awesome if it ran underground the whole way there(from NE Medical all the way under Washington st.). It seems like the most logical thing to do. I know there's been a lot of LRT talk in that corridor.

I know it would be the costliest thing to do...

The community asked the T back in the 1980's to consider keeping the elevated portion from Dudley to Downtown but the T had let the structure rot for so long that saving it would cost a fortune and hardly be worth it. Also, I would imagine that they REALLY wanted people to use the brand new system to justify building it.

It would be great but costly. Most people would be happy with light rail above ground. What Boston really needs is a trunk line from Downtown to Dudley and then to Grove Hall. That would open up two neighborhoods that are only served by buses and are bypassed by the subways but rely heavily on public transit. It would also raise property values and force many people to move as no doubt developers would move in. It would be good but hurt a lot of people in the long run. And since it would cost so much, it isn't likely.

Re: Silver Line Phase III

IT LIVES!

boring1.jpg

Boring tests to run from April 15 - June 31.

Yes, June 31.

We need to start writing some letters. This has to stop.

Maybe we can start bringing these issues to the South Boston meetings. I seriously doubt a BRT system will be able to encourage growth and support such an "up and coming" neighborhood.

I'll write one if you you :)

I've been reading around here for a while, but this topic finally motivated me to register and post.

Here's my idea: If you're going to build a tunnel connecting Boylston to South Station, why not divert one of the branches of the current Green Line to also use this tunnel? (This is assuming that the tunnel eventually holds light rail, not just BRT.) This would provide a direct link from Back Bay to South Station, possibly even the airport. It might also decrease the transfers at downtown green line stations, diverting some of these to South Station and wherever silver crosses orange.

Maps could denote the Silver line as having two branches west of south station, one leading to Dudley and the other to one of the current Green Line terminus while still using the current green line tracks through Back Bay.

The downside is, of course, that one green line branch would no longer take people directly through to Park St, Gov. Center, and North Station. But is this necessarily better than having a directly link to Downtown Crossing, South Station, and the South Boston waterfront?

What do you all think? Why would this or wouldn't this work?

Because once again, you need a bus to get to logan, nobody is going to pay to put rail by the ports, and the NIMBYs will never allow rail down Washington street, which doesnt matter because the MBTA will never lay street-running rail again.

Its going to be a bus. It always will be a bus. Its a shame they cant use the existing tunnel, but its not like laying rail would be cheaper.

PJM,

I think it?s an excellent idea to have the Phase 3 tunnel serve light rail. What I would propose is that it be dual use: serve both a light rail branch of the Green Line with tracks embedded in a concrete floor so that buses to Logan could also use the tunnel. This is being done in the downtown Seattle bus/light rail tunnel with much success.

The Phase III tunnel could have a connection with the Green Line tunnel just west of Boylston Station, so that one of the Green Lines would be diverted to South Station instead of Park Street. This would relieve congestion at Park Street while still providing a direct link to the Red Line for the diverted Green Line. The light rail line could either end at South Station or continue in the Silverline existing tunnel to the South Boston waterfront (SBW) and Convention center. This would provide direct light rail Green Line service between the SBW and the Back Bay.

The Phase III tunnel is a waste of money, but at least if you're going to build it, make it compatible for both light rail and bus to get the maximum use out of this white elephant.

PJM,
The Phase III tunnel is a waste of money, but at least if you're going to build it, make it compatible for both light rail and bus to get the maximum use out of this white elephant.

Can't do that - BRT is the future! :rolleyes:

The MBTA and Menino can go on believing that, but embedding rails in the floor of the new tunnel would be a minimal cost and open up a lot of options for light rail, while at the same time still allowing use of the tunnel by buses.

What's really sad about Silver Line Phase III is the stupendous expenditure - likely over $1 billion, which in passenger/mile terms will make the Big Dig seem an absolute bargain.

Because both the T and the State are cash-strapped, the Little Dig is effectively going to mean that many far more worthy projects, such as the Green Line extension to Medford, are postponed for many years.

While it is an extremely pokey kludge, one can sort of understand the logic for the South Station to Boylston tunnel that would connect the Silver Line to the Orange and Green Lines. This improves airport access (as long as you aren't in a hurry) and is being pushed by the politically connected Seaport developers and Convention Center execs.

What's harder to understand is the serpentine route chosen for the other half of the Little Dig, which connects Boylston Station to the Washington Street bus line. By the T's own numbers, the trip from Herald Street to downtown via the tunnel will take at least as long as the more direct surface route. The problem isn't that this is a bus ... it's that it is a very slow and stupendously expensive bus that won't get to its primary destination any faster than the current bus does.

Silver line update meeting on 7/23/08

I attended this meeting and I was very unimpressed with the presentation. There was a woman from the T and a rep from I believe the engineering firm. I'm not sure on that because he spoke with a very heavy Indian accent. That is one on my gripes about the meeting, he was very hard to understand and frequently did not answer the questions he was asked.

Question: where will the funding come from?
Answer: this is not a new project, or maybe he said it was this is a new project.

Question: Why don't our buses run on a wire like in South Boston, or as he called it south point.
Answer: Batteries are only good for 40 miles.

The woman from the T who was expected, Karen Burns, the chief operations manager
, did not show and it was pointed out 'this is the second time she has blown us off'.

I asked if what I read was true, that even after this billion dollar plus project is completed there be no improvement in time for the South End and Roxbury riders and the answer was that after this project we will be able to go directly to South Boston and the airport.

There will be a turn around under Boyloston Street at Charles and they expect to use this to turn some vehicles around to serve the seaport and airport only.

Some buses will run still run to Temple Place. I stated that this meant that if we wanted to go downtown and if there are no additional buses then our service will in effect be cut in half. The response was something about being able go to the airport and South Boston.

They were asked that if they do increase the number of buses to offset this then noise will become a bigger issue along Washington Street. The response was that we don't know what kind of technology will be available then. Remember that these buses are like a dog whistle, residents can hear the loud rumble but the MBTA cannot.

I always thought the reason for having a Boylston Station and a Chinatown station instead of one Station connecting Boylston St and Washington St, and the Green and Orange lines was that the inbound and out bound tracks would be on the same level and there was not enough space between buildings. Their plans show the inbound and outbound on different levels. I asked why then they didn't make one station because this would result in faster service and a pedestrian connection like at Park/Downtown Crossing. The answer was that their studies show that a combined station would not result in any additional riders. I had given up arguing by then. Some one asked that if there is no addition ridership then why spend the millions on two stations. The answer again was that their studies had shown there would be no additional ridership from one station.

This project requires taking lanes from the roads on either side of the turnpike for dedicated counter lanes(Marginal and Herald). They were asked if they have talked to the group planning new ramps for the turnpike and the answer was no. Part of Charles St in Bay Village will have a open trench serving as the subway entrance and exit, requiring part of the current road.

People brought up that if you remove lanes from existing roads then the traffic will spill over onto other roads, but of course the T's studies say no. I expect this spill over traffic will also impact the Silver line buses that will still heading to Temple Place resulting in a longer ride.

Many people said when they ride the Silver Line they see a lot of people get on for free. From my experience it's young women being waved on by male drivers. The T spokesperson suggested contacting the T. She also said she rides the Silver Line all the time and has never seen this happen.

There was no time to discuss the recklessness of the drivers.

Test borings are underway.
Construction late 2010 to early 2011.
Start service 2016.

It was very clear that the fact that there is a very short window to get and use this federal money and that this is what's driving the project. My personal opinion is this project is designed to connect the Back Bay to the airport and the South End and Roxbury portion was tacked on to appease people. I doubt that the part of the tunnel from Boylston/Charles to the exit near the Church of All Nations will ever get built. If there is no time savings from this leg they can't justify the cost. The free transfer to the Orange and Green lines already provide this service. When the Silver line goes to Boylston Street the free transfer will provide the same benefit as building that leg of Phase III. For one thing there already is a tunnel from Boylston directly to the Church of All Nations. From the Boylston/Charles turnaround there is already an extremely wide tunnel to the Arlington St Green Line Station. My personal belief is that this this the real objective, connect to Arlington St and someday beyond.

I think connecting the Back Bay with all the office space, hotels and Hynes Convention Center to the Seaport, new convention center and airport is a good thing, but don't pretend this meets the Orange line replace meant goal of equal or better service.

I think Silver Line service along Washington St will actually get worse.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=48384&start=0

Reading this makes me want to break things.

Could you crystalize your complaints on this, please?

The way I see it, putting in Phase III at least connects one part of the city with another. Without it, there is limited use by anyone, except for those people who have a pressing desire to go from Dudley Square to the movie theater on the Boston Common. And, "Hancock" isn't playing anymore.

I would like the third phase to be built because it would make a trip to the airport easier. Easier, not faster, no doubt. And, for people who live in Roxbury and work at the airport, it would be easier, as well.

No, I don't think it's the preferred choice. But, we're two thirds of the way along the project, aren't we? If you stop it now, it does nothing but remain a waste of money. Regular buses can run down Washington Street (Phase ... II?) and we can continue the Silver Line rom South Station to the airport (Phase ... I?).

If the criticism is being driven due to the "tunnel" issue, then I can't be supportive. How else are you going to be able to get the bus to South Station? Those who whine about losing the "park" off Tremont Street protest too much. Be serious. It's a sliver. You want a park, head to the Common or Public Garden, 150 feet further down the road.

The Silver Line Phase III does one thing - it does not replicate service already provided by the T. That's the only thing it has going for it.

I hated the Silver Line from the day it was proposed, and I hate it now, both as an idea and in reality (I only use it when I want to go to the movies at the theater facing the Common, and "Hancock" isn't there any longer).

Oh, and to the guy who asked somewhere else how come I always say something bad about city life, I love cities. But, I hate people.

If the criticism is being driven due to the "tunnel" issue, then I can't be supportive. How else are you going to be able to get the bus to South Station?

Some people fantasize about amazing train service which in their minds is faster, cheaper and smoother.

And every time I have to remind them that the 57 beats the B-line 95% of the time.

Id assume the same about the 39 vs e-line, but I rarely venture that way, so I have no proof.

And they also try to claim that the tunnel would be cheaper for rail. Somehow they forget that the 1 billion includes south station - boylston, which is needed anyway and is the bulk of the project.

And PS, I was on the Acela yesterday, and it was so "smooth" it was impossible to take notes. At least the seats reclined well enough.

(Incidentally, I think 1 new station with walkways is better than two new ones a block apart, and the biggest shortfall of the project is the fact that its not electric down washington. Oh, and the stupid light before silver line way. WTF is up with that)

First I'd like to point out that both Fan Pier and Seaport Square are being built by 'connected' developers. They are not going build all this and rely on a bus. I would bet that the conversion to trolley will happen pretty soon.

As I said I like the idea of connecting the airport and seaport to the Back Bay with the Silver Line. I would guess that most the people in the South End and Roxbury are not heading to the airport or the Seaport. I asked if they did a study to see what the breakdown was and I think the answer was something about all the new development. My hunch is that the money will run out before Charles St leg can be built.

I think a better option would be to reopen the Tremont tunnel. It should not take much to get it in good condition. One urban myth/story is the the person in charge position that church so that the tunnel will never be used again. The church is now empty and I agree this small section of park should not stop what could be a good transportation project.

I'm not advocating stopping the project, I hope the South Station/Charles St leg gets built. The Bay Village leg acomplished nothing that the free transfers don't already do or that can't happen with the extension to Charles St. + free transfer from the Silver Line buses at Chinatown and Boylston. I'm just saying this has nothing to do with improving the Washington St Silver Line.

I would like to see the T start a dialogue on what should be the next step in improving service to the So End and Roxbury. A trolley connecting to the green line would be great. Perhaps the answer is keep buses on Washington and build a new subway along Albany to Dudley. This is one of the growth corridors in Boston. Such a line could also serve the long range development at South Bay then on to South Station. If I may fantasize here, the line could follow Atlantic Ave/Commercial St to North Station or if the North/South connector is ever built use that tunnel.

Last edited:

Question: Why don't our buses run on a wire like in South Boston, or as he called it south point.
Answer: Batteries are only good for 40 miles.

I don't see how the batteries would be affected by running the buses on overhead catenary wires.

Some people fantasize about amazing train service which in their minds is faster, cheaper and smoother.

Have you traveled in the Silver Line tunnel...ever? It feels like you're traveling on a dirt road. It's embarrassing that a brand-new tunnel feels as though it hasn't been paved in 40 years. Great first impression for tourists. It's also incredibly slow-going.

link

the Transitway tunnel has a maximum speed of 25 mph in tunnel, with buses traveling frequently at lower speeds.

The [SL1] schedule assumes an average operating speed of 14 mph.
(this includes time in the Ted Williams Tunnel which brings the average up)

I can't imagine crawling through the SL tunnel from the World Trade Center to the portal in the South End.

And they also try to claim that the tunnel would be cheaper for rail. Somehow they forget that the 1 billion includes south station - boylston, which is needed anyway and is the bulk of the project.

Actually it's not the bulk of the project.

(Incidentally, I think 1 new station with walkways is better than two new ones a block apart, and the biggest shortfall of the project is the fact that its not electric down washington. Oh, and the stupid light before silver line way. WTF is up with that)

I've heard the light before Silver Line Way is an issue the T has been called out on by people in loftier positions than any of us, and they just ignore it.

I agree that it should be one superstation. This is a perfect opportunity to create a superstation along the lines of Park / DTX, but the T is throwing logic out the window with this project.

First I'd like to point out that both Fan Pier and Seaport Square are being built by 'connected' developers. They are not going build all this and rely on a bus. I would bet that the conversion to trolley will happen pretty soon.

If that were the case, you wouldn't be seeing BRT planned for the majority of the Urban Ring. The T is fixated on using buses for everything now. They even tried to suggest that BRT might be a good replacement for the Green Line extension to Somerville / Medford.

I don't see how the batteries would be affected by running the buses on overhead catenary wires.

My point is that he frequently did not answer the questions that were asked. It may have been a language issue. 'What did he say' kind of sums up the presentation.

Back